PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Beep codes, drivin me nuts.

dillyuk
Jan 15, 2006, 08:47 PM
Ok, absolute newbie,

ill introduce myself, im dilly, ive got a powerbook g4, aluminium, 1.25g, 1gb ram, 80gb hd, Bluetooth, mac osx 10.3.7. just freshly reinstalled,

Ok, it started ages ago, my powerbook started beeping, so i opened the ram plate, placed it in the top slot, all good, workin like a charm.

now it started beepin again, but this time, when i place it on the side, it works perfectly!,
no idea why, but when i place it flat again and boot it up, it jus starts beeping again.
ive tried changing ram slots, but no luck. in the top slot, it only works when placed on its side.
i am goin loco, can someone please help me out.
i thank you in advance!
dilly

p0intblank
Jan 15, 2006, 08:53 PM
That's really weird. o_O Are you positive the RAM stick is all the way in?

mad jew
Jan 15, 2006, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the forums dillyuk. :)

That's really sounding like a hardware issue that would be difficult to fix on a forum so maybe take it to Apple if you get the chance. It's sounding like a loose connection in the RAM slot. :)

dillyuk
Jan 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the forums dillyuk. :)

That's really sounding like a hardware issue that would be difficult to fix on a forum so maybe take it to Apple if you get the chance. It's sounding like a loose connection in the RAM slot. :)

hey you know i really would like to give it to the apple chaps, but im like the third owner, so im not the registered owner.would they still fix it?

and just now i got it to boot,while flat on my desk. but then it hung when i attempted a software update,
any ideas?
could it be m install of os x?
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:)

dilly

dillyuk
Jan 15, 2006, 09:12 PM
That's really weird. o_O Are you positive the RAM stick is all the way in?

sorry, yes it is in all the way, checked and rechecked.

mad jew
Jan 15, 2006, 09:25 PM
I really don't think there's much we can do for you. Maybe try resetting the PRAM (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238) and then resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) but I'd be surprised if it helps because these are essentially software-based proposals. I don't think reinstalling OSX would help in this case because I really think the problem is hardware-based.

Coming from Australia, I have no experience with Apple Stores or their Geniuses but maybe take it in and hear what they have to say all the same, even if the machine isn't covered by AppleCare. :)

dillyuk
Jan 16, 2006, 06:55 PM
I really don't think there's much we can do for you. Maybe try resetting the PRAM (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238) and then resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) but I'd be surprised if it helps because these are essentially software-based proposals. I don't think reinstalling OSX would help in this case because I really think the problem is hardware-based.

Coming from Australia, I have no experience with Apple Stores or their Geniuses but maybe take it in and hear what they have to say all the same, even if the machine isn't covered by AppleCare. :)

yep, tried that, both pram and nvram. no luck,

i dont want to go to apple, i wanna learn how to fix it myself.

my laptop is no longer covered by apple warranty, so i dont wanna pay a ton to get it fixed.

let me tell you the progress i have got so far,

it no longer starts up on its side either, it just beeps three times,

but i have worked ou that when i apply pressure behind the ram stick, and push it it in, it works, but when i let go it works for about 2 mins, then crashes.

now, i can get it to work with out pushing the ram, but it crashes whenever i try to do software update,

is there a way i can flash bios or anything similar?, as is posible in windows computers, i am not a mac person. but am keen to learn.

i have removed the ram and tried it in both slots, but no luck.

can someone give me any advice, besides going to apple support?

ANY suggestions, appreciated,

dilly

discoforce
Jan 16, 2006, 07:14 PM
yep, tried that, both pram and nvram. no luck,

i dont want to go to apple, i wanna learn how to fix it myself.

my laptop is no longer covered by apple warranty, so i dont wanna pay a ton to get it fixed.

let me tell you the progress i have got so far,

it no longer starts up on its side either, it just beeps three times,

but i have worked ou that when i apply pressure behind the ram stick, and push it it in, it works, but when i let go it works for about 2 mins, then crashes.

now, i can get it to work with out pushing the ram, but it crashes whenever i try to do software update,

is there a way i can flash bios or anything similar?, as is posible in windows computers, i am not a mac person. but am keen to learn.

i have removed the ram and tried it in both slots, but no luck.

can someone give me any advice, besides going to apple support?

ANY suggestions, appreciated,

dilly

You've tried more than I could think of, but you may want to visit MacFixIt.com (http://www.macfixitforums.com/). They have forums on fixing hardware.

Good luck!