Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
(Even though there's probably plenty of Automatic reviews out there, I just wanted to write up a quick review as well.)

https://www.automatic.com/

I purchased the Automatic used on eBay for $60. I’m so glad I didn’t pay $99 - that would have made it even more of a disappointment. I find the app to be very lacking. While it’s well designed, it lacks in depth details. For all the data & algorithms it’s collecting, the app could be doing WAY more with it.

Key points:
- I’m already a gas nerd / calm driver so I automatically achieved a perfect 100 point score. (see what I did there?) This doesn’t mean I could get even better though. The problem is that this app is really centered around helping people who drive aggressively become smarter drivers. If you’re already good at conserving fuel, then half of the app is useless to you.

- The fuel consumption $ amount is way off. And I mean way off. It says I spend less than a dollar on a trip that is closer to $2 in gas. (I know this for sure)

- Doesn’t always track my trips with iOS 7. This is just silly and they should fix it.

- You must have the app open while driving. Not a big deal; I just like keeping apps closed when possible.

CONCLUSION: I would like to see them move away from the point system and focus more on giving the driver more in depth details about their driving habits and fuel consumption. The data is all there; they just need to take advantage of it. Is it worth $99? No. Is it worth $60? Maybe, if you want to get better at using less fuel.

Last edited:

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Does the iPhone 5s connect to it and the bluetooth on the car or is it either the automatic or the car bluetooth?

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
- You must have the app open while driving. Not a big deal; I just like keeping apps closed when possible.

Are you sure about this part? I don't own one myself but am interested in getting it. I had read it holds this info internally and pushes it to the phone next time you open the app?

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Are you sure about this part? I don't own one myself but am interested in getting it. I had read it holds this info internally and pushes it to the phone next time you open the app?

I read something similar....

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008

I haven't thoroughly tested this part, but it tells me this when I close the app:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 68

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Also.. The app for (me at least), drains my battery pretty quickly on the iPhone 5S.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
For me, while I'm using it, it drains the battery really quickly. When i swipe-up-close it, it stops using the battery, naturally.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Does this happen if you leave it in the background as well? Or only if you swipe up to exit the app completely?

This is if I swipe up to close the app. So the app has to be open in order to log trips.

For me, while I'm using it, it drains the battery really quickly. When i swipe-up-close it, it stops using the battery, naturally.

Okay, I'm glad it's not just me that thought It was draining the battery very quickly while open.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Okay, I'm glad it's not just me that thought It was draining the battery very quickly while open.

No, sir, you are not alone :) I have a lot of apps that just drain the battery really quickly. I have this game, stampede run, that just kills the battery. But it's really addicting. But still.

I just always try to keep a spare charger around me, cause I usually end up charging the iPhone at least one extra time per day.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I drive like a jerk so this wouldn't help me much since I'm not looking to change that. Pretty cool concept tho

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I drive like a jerk so this wouldn't help me much since I'm not looking to change that. Pretty cool concept tho

I've never heard of someone hate on themselves about their own driving tendencies. Congrats! I've been told that I drive like a jerk, but I think that I drive quite well. Whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.