Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jay212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
I am trying to get Sherlock and Safari to launch upon booting OS X but have not been successful. I have placed alias of them in the startupitems folder located in the library folder of the root directory of the hard drive but it does not launch. I also placed an Entourage alias there and that seems to work. Any suggestions?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I suggest you do not modify the contents of your /library directory. Most things there can be modified per user in their /users/username/library directory. Things inside the startupitems directory do not simply launch on startup, they are instead resources from other programs used during the boot process itself. As mnkeybsness said, you need to go into your System Preferences program and click on Login Items. you have the option of adding and removing programs to run during login. You can also set them to be hidden, eg they do not show up in the dock. This is especially helpful for always-on utilities you don't want cluttering things up.

:)
pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.