Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I am a bit embarrassed about posting my very simple html page here along side all of the professionally done sites, but here goes.

My Website

I have two main questions.
1) What color if any should go behind the tables
2) I tried to validate it but it came up with 14 errors. I thought my code was as simple and clean as I could get. So am I that bad or is the validator expecting a more complex website?

So what do you think? Ok or should I start over. The main audience will be my middle aged and elderly relatives so making it friendly for those who are visually impaired is a goal.

Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you want people to read your text, don't put a background behind it, esp, not a dark blue background behind black text.

Reduce complexity - you don't need border colours and border width on your contact info table.

Your relatives won't care that you've cleverly emulated a Mac Desktop picture. Style over function.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Something more like this?

Seems a little bland to me but I won't even pretend to know anything about design. I am an engineer not an artist.

Thanks for the advice. I apologize for making you all look at such an eyesore:p .

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
That second one is not that bad... simple, to the point. Better that way than have it all cluttered up just to make it pretty.

It seems there is a problem with your server or my Safari... every other time I load the page, I get the html code rather than the page itself. It goes back once I reload, but... anyone else having the same problem?

irmongoose

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
It is the webhost. It is a webdav server made for hosting files or webpages so sometimes it is just flaky like that. Sometimes it has a hard time distinguishing between text and html. Usually it is fine but it is free space so I can't complain.

blythy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2005
UK
yippy said:
I have two main questions.
1) What color if any should go behind the tables
2) I tried to validate it but it came up with 14 errors. I thought my code was as simple and clean as I could get. So am I that bad or is the validator expecting a more complex website?
1. Try making the tables transparent, so you can see the background effect. If you do this you may want to remove the backgrounds from the images also.
2. You may need to change the settings on your validator to check against a newer browser. However, if there are 14 errors I'd check them carefully.

http://www.blythmedia.co.uk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.