Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I really love the three-button remote + microphone on certain headphones, so much so that my next headphone purchase could not be without them, which limits my options somewhat.

Then I noticed this cable, and I thought: surely I could just buy a normal pair of headphones with a detachable cable, remove that cable and replace it with the cable that already has the 3-button remote built in? Would it still be compatible?

The RemoteTalk cable is made by Beats, and Apple licenses the technology to them quite restrictively. But I see no technical reason why it wouldn't work with non-Beats headphones, or indeed any third-party audio device. But then again, I haven't seen a single other cable like this on the market. I don't know why no-one else is manufacturing a similar product. This seems like a really good idea for a cable.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
The cable upside of the volume/button is a normal stereo jack and will work with any headphones that will accept the jack-note-some headphone with removebale cables have a weird twisting lock on the headphone side-not sure if the plug will seat correctly.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Excellent! Finally, a Beats product that I want to buy.

I do wonder though why it has the four-banded audio jack on both ends, though I suppose that's just in case you plug it in back to front.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Excellent! Finally, a Beats product that I want to buy.

I do wonder though why it has the four-banded audio jack on both ends, though I suppose that's just in case you plug it in back to front.

Probably. It's a pain in the arse to solder those, so there is a reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.