Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Hi.

I was just wondering if anyone is using Windows To Go as an alternative to partitioning and Bootcamp for gaming in Windows. The idea of having a 'portable gaming drive' with a full installation of Windows that can be plugged into pretty much any machine at any time is very appealing to me as well.

Obviously a fast USB 3.0 drive is needed, but since gaming is not that write intensive, I am really curious what people's experience are.

Thanks.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How much do you know about it, or is this just a general inquiry? I ask because my impression is whether you put Windows on a new partition or on an external drive, if using a Mac you still need Bootcamp to streamline the process and to install drivers that Windows needs to interface with your Mac hardware.

And for Steam you can do that either under MacOS or Windows, but game availability will be different depending on which way you go.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
How much do you know about it, or is this just a general inquiry? I ask because my impression is whether you put Windows on a new partition or on an external drive, if using a Mac you still need Bootcamp to streamline the process and to install drivers that Windows needs to interface with your Mac hardware.

A general inquiry. I would like to avoid both gaming with Steam under OSX and partitioning the OSX drive for Windows. I would make the W2G partition with Windows (plenty of guides online), boot into that on a Mac and then use Bootcamp to install any missing drivers. I'm wondering about the gaming performance in running a game on Windows from USB3.0 drive with games installed on that same USB3.0 drive as compared to gaming performance with both the Windows and games installed on the internal SSD. Obviously the boot times for Windows and loading screens in games would be much slower compared to the internal SSD, but what about FPS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.