Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I'm at the end of my ropes and happy to pay someone to help me resolve this situation. My job requires Windows but I like video editing, for which reason I installed W7 on a Macbook Air, so I can have both. Everything was working well but I'm guessing that Windows automatically downloaded and installed some driver (I usually have these things set to manual and requiring my approval first) for the USB3, as my keyboard and trackpad stopped working (have spent several days reading up on this issue). From my readings I logged back into Windows with an external keyboard and mouse and uninstalled some Extreme USB3 driver (which was apparently causing the keyboard and trackpad to stop working), but now I cant even use an external keyboard or mouse, because the USBs no longer work. Using bootcamp and the W7 .iso that was used to install the Windows I created a bootable disk on an 8gig flash memory stick, allowing bootcamp to download the latest drivers. When I restart, as instructed I do not press the Option key at the same time (although I did try that too), but when I choose the flash drive it says it cannot load or something and nothing happens. I created a system restore before uninstalling the extreme usb3 and have gotten as far the Windows install window (when using an external CD rom with W7 install disk) where I could click on Repair, but no external mouse or keyboard would work. On a PC forum someone suggested the following:

As to the slipstreaming warnings you quoted from tutorial, you're not doing a*Repair Install*or slipstreaming SP1, only a single driver which is the simplest operation 7Lite performs. But of course this is a gamble since we're dealing with Apple hardware which is rarely seen here. But you may need*Startup Repair*or System Restore from the diskSystem Recovery Options.
I would cross-post to an Apple forum.

The 7Lite seems to require other software already installed on Windows to work but which I do not have. A rather ridiculous situation and any tips would be muchly appreciated. I also tried some suggestions of writing a command in Terminal to automatically boot into Windows in some special keyboard mode, but that didn't work either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.