PDA

View Full Version : Vienna - A Freeware feature-packed RSS newsreader

MacBytes
Jan 16, 2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Vienna - A Freeware feature-packed RSS newsreader (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060116142708)
Description:: Vienna is an incredible RSS newsreader, very similar to Mac OS X Mail. With many cool features, like tabbed article viewing, smart folders, and a dock icon with number of unread RSS articles, it is much better than Safari at RSS newsreading.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 16, 2006, 01:40 PM
I've used this since I switched back from Safari to Firefox a while back. Didn't care much for Firefox' Live Bookmarks, and was afraid I might miss Safari's superiour RSS handling. Someone here har MR recommended Vienna (sorry, don't remember who :o) and I tried it out. It's great, stable and very nice. I actually don't miss Safari for a second... :)

Vieanna is highly recommended...

Diatribe
Jan 16, 2006, 01:44 PM
I've used this since I switched back from Safari to Firefox a while back. Didn't care much for Firefox' Live Bookmarks, and was afraid I might miss Safari's superiour RSS handling. Someone here har MR recommended Vienna (sorry, don't remember who :o) and I tried it out. It's great, stable and very nice. I actually don't miss Safari for a second... :)

Vieanna is highly recommended...

Just curious... why'd you switch to Firefox?

PlaceofDis
Jan 16, 2006, 01:48 PM
i use camnio for its speed and i just love its handling.... but i will admit that i have missed RSS feeds. so i'll give this a chance today.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 16, 2006, 02:07 PM
Just curious... why'd you switch to Firefox?Safari kept crashing (and still does, I just tried after upgrading to 10.4.4) wildly whenever searching certain CGI heavy sites** returned no results and I proceed to close that tab. And considering I did (and do this) typically several times a day it became quite annoying...

Throw in Adblock that makes it okay to visit (news) sites with out getting those annoying flash ads without having to disable plug-in support (which is how I usually surfed with Safari) or install really buggy 3rd party enhancers for Safari.

And when we're on the subject of 3rd party enhancers for Safari: Firefox has built in support for Find as you type and multiple search engines (which I used AcidSearch for with Safari) and warning when you try to close a window with multiple tabs (used Taboo for that one).

There's also the little things, like the ability to add separators between bookmarks and (again built in) force links that want to open a new window to open in a new tab, the ability to allow pop-ups on selected sites (like login servers, internet banks, etc.).

Now, the only thing I miss from Safari is the built in spell checker, but the SpellBound extension is an okay substitute... even if I'm not always using it (and it doesn't support spell checking as you type) ;) ...and I'd wish Firefox used the Keychain and not its own password library...

**At first it was just noticeably on the site of my public local library, but it also crashed on Mac OS X Downloads.

Diatribe
Jan 16, 2006, 02:23 PM
Safari kept crashing (and still does, I just tried after upgrading to 10.4.4) wildly whenever searching certain CGI heavy sites** returned no results and I proceed to close that tab. And considering I did (and do this) typically several times a day it became quite annoying...

Throw Adblock that makes it okay to visit (news) sites whit out getting those annoying flash ads without having to disable plug-in support (which is how I usually surfed with Safari) or install really buggy 3rd party plug-ins for Safari.

And when we're on the subject of 3rd party plug-ins for Safari: Firefox has built in support for Find as you type and multiple search engines (which I used AcidSearch for with Safari) and warning when you try to close a window with multiple tabs (used Taboo for that one).

There's also the little things, like the ability to add separators between bookmarks and (again built in) force links that want to open a new window to open in a new tab, the ability to allow pop-ups on selected sites (like login servers, internet banks, etc.).

Now, the only thing I miss from Safari is the built in spell checker, but the SpellBound extension is an okay substitute... even if I'm not always using it (and it doesn't support spell checking as you type) ;) ...and I'd wish Firefox used the Keychain and not its own password library...

**At first it was just noticeably on the site of my public local library, but it also crashed on Mac OS X Downloads.

Interesting. Safari never gave me problems and I'd be hardpressed to give up my spell checker but I see the advantages.
I use Firefox at work though but I like Safari a bit better. Thanks for the insight though.

Seasought
Jan 16, 2006, 02:40 PM
I like Vienna as well. I've been using it for about a week now.

I also switched recently to Firefox.

sjk
Jan 16, 2006, 09:38 PM
I may give Vienna a try if/when it supports per-feed refresh settings and a few other features that keep me using NetNewsWire.

maya
Jan 16, 2006, 09:45 PM
I hate to say this, however I find myself using RSS less with the coming days. I used to use 'NewsFire" a lot, then safari had it built-in. Now I have little to no interest in it. :o

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 17, 2006, 09:21 AM
I may give Vienna a try if/when it supports per-feed refresh settings and a few other features that keep me using NetNewsWire.No it doesn't support this (yet, I hope). But you may of course manually refresh one or more selected feeds. :)