Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoketetsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Now, before you get too excited it's wrapped in cider. On the other hand... it's the first japanese franchise that I know of to get an official sanctioned Mac edition out. :D

No news from any site that I know of so far and the mac logo hasn't been added to the steam page for it yet nor the mac system requirements.

For me personally. I've been into playing games with 5.1 channels enabled in Audio MIDI setup. Most of Feral's games and quite a few Aspyr games support it... also some indie titles and believe it or not Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed ports do.

So far no cider game has... some Wineskin games do. So it may be better for me to go play the game wrapped in that.

I previously played it in parallels and it ran fine there including with multichannel sound but it didn't support 16:9 resolutions past 720p and I heard the PC version was capped at 1080p... and my computer wouldn't give me that option. I was unable to get it to go fullscreen properly in parallels.

NO I don't do dual booting so those are my options. And yeah, long story short it (Metal Gear Rising) been quietly released for Mac tonight.

Last edited:

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Now, before you get too excited it's wrapped in cider. On the other hand... it's the first japanese franchise that I know of to get an official sanctioned Mac edition out. :D

No news from any site that I know of so far and the mac logo hasn't been added to the steam page for it yet nor the mac system requirements.

For me personally. I've been into playing games with 5.1 channels enabled in Audio MIDI setup. Most of Feral's games and quite a few Aspyr games support it... also some indie titles and believe it or not Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed ports do.

So far no cider game has... some Wineskin games do. So it may be better for me to go play the game wrapped in that.

I previously played it in parallels and it ran fine there including with multichannel sound but it didn't support 16:9 resolutions past 720p and I heard the PC version was capped at 1080p... and my computer wouldn't give me that option. I was unable to get it to go fullscreen properly in parallels.

NO I don't do dual booting so those are my options. And yeah, long story short it (Metal Gear Rising) been quietly released for Mac tonight.

It has? No news of it on my end, and reason others also aren't picked up on it is probably because it doesn't have the steam play/ mac icon or system specs. It's also not showing up as Mac compatible for me on steam.

I do hope it's true, unfortunately Konami and Japanese developers/publishers don't like YouTube media and journalism much. Although I'm checking with my network to see if I can cover it.
Although if not, it's just going on the website, that 100% Mac compatible symbol and specs is required though.

smoketetsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Just to avoid confusion it appears the cat had been let out of the bag too soon and it's been put back in its bag. The game has been pulled from Steam for now as it was prematurely released. Still, for a premature release it was pretty dang good and Mac gamers are in for a treat.

Last edited:

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Just to avoid confusion it appears the cat had been let out of the bag too soon and it's been put back in its bag. The game has been pulled from Steam for now as it was prematurely released. Still, for a premature release it was pretty dang good and Mac gamers are in for a treat.

nice just hope its not a lousy emulation rather then a good port..

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Do you really believe they do it by accident ?

I firmly believe it is done on purpose, drop a game early, then pull it, word spreads, job done, everybody wants it.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Do you really believe they do it by accident ?

I firmly believe it is done on purpose, drop a game early, then pull it, word spreads, job done, everybody wants it.

I can confirm it has been pulled!

I bought it last night, and this morning it's now gone! Damn it!

This is what I'm thinking, I went and right away put out a little news blurp on my site, mentioning smoketetsu.
It's not being else where from what I could find.

smoketetsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
I didn't say I believed they did it by accident. I don't know how it happened... or why. I just know it did and the cats out of the bag. What I do know however, is that the Steamdb had leaked news of it prior to that because someone at inside mac games pointed it out. So even before this I knew to expect it... just not when.

smoketetsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Having tried it I'd say it's better than Virtual Programming's offers. From the two hours I spent with it I'd go so far as to say it's their best work yet.. YMMV. Certainly better than Max Payne 3. Either way.. it's neither that lousy nor is it emulation*. If you are someone who's totally biased against wrapping technology then yes. But then again, I didn't stutter before and I did say what was used.

*Actually, emulation can produce great results. I know for some people it's a "four letter word". But depending on game, accuracy of emulation, etc. it can work. Same thing with virtualization... like Parallels\VMWare.

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
its officially out on App Store

glad to say its finally out
let me ask U a question;
how is the performance?
minimum system requirements ;
gt650m or ris or 4850m
4Gb ram
recommended(what does recommended mean exactly?)(does it mean if you have the following config you'll be able to run it maxed out)?
recommended :
8Gb ram GT750m or better...
osx mavericks 10.9.4
just wondering ...
gt650m as minimum?
and iris is minimum too?
iris is no where near 650m!!!
and 750m as recommended??!!!
i own macbook pro 2012(mid) with gt650m and 8gb of ram
and mid-2014 macbook pro retina 15 inch with gt750m and 16gb of ram
(same as late 2013 just new mother board possibly some bug fixes and 0.2 ghz faster cpu)
2.5ghz i7 quadcore cpu
so ...
the question...
should i buy the game for 25dollars or not
i just buy from app store
but want to make sure it runs well
since in bootcamp i can run bf4 of 900/1080sometimes on medium setting
every game on bootcamp plays just fine on medium high setting and 1080 or 900 p even metro plays great on 1080p and medium setting...
so the machine is capable enough
but i haven't ever gamed on mac (jus bootcamp)
sorry for being long and thnx fort any help from u guys

(if you have same machine please tell me how games run on bootcamp win8)

VeganHipster

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
I have a 2011 21inch iMac and the game ran pretty good. While i was excited for this game, after playing for an hour and a half I've come to the conclusion this game is not for me. I'm happy I got it for only $7, gamestop had it on sale the day the OS X version officially came out.

Hoping that with this getting ported to OS X and MGS V announced for Steam that we will get more MGS on OS X.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I have a 2011 21inch iMac and the game ran pretty good. While i was excited for this game, after playing for an hour and a half I've come to the conclusion this game is not for me. I'm happy I got it for only $7, gamestop had it on sale the day the OS X version officially came out.

Hoping that with this getting ported to OS X and MGS V announced for Steam that we will get more MGS on OS X.

I know what you mean. I like the game, but I suck horribly at it and the story just doesn't grip me.

Kojima stated that bringing Metal Gear to the Mac was long overdue, so I'm also hoping that there new, and hopefully old MGS games make an appearance. :D

smoketetsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
I'd like to see the other Metal Gear games come to the Mac but I have a feeling that I'm actually opposite to you guys where Rising is the game more for me. I don't tend to be someone who favors stealth over everything else. Most of the stealth games I do like are more like "stealth lite" (like the Batman games)... and perhaps the Assassin's Creed games could be considered "stealth lite"? I don't know.. either way.. yeah this game was "for me". :p

Also, I'd like a link to where Kojima was talking about that.. *edit* From the press release: “METAL GEAR has been a massive global success on myriad platforms and bringing the series to Mac was long overdue,“ said Yuji Korekado, a producer from Konami. “METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE was a turning point in the series and is the ideal introduction for new Mac players.”

So are most other Konami games for that matter. I'd like Silent Hill games officially on the Mac as well as Castlevania. Lord of Shadows had really great performance wrapped and in parallels but was too buggy to play.

Also, I'd like Capcom games on the Mac too officially... I quite enjoyed DMC4 and DmC in Wine as well. Also Duck Tales Remastered. (You probably wouldn't like the DMC series if you don't like Metal Gear Rising IMO).

BTW, I realize I haven't mentioned it at this forum yet but Metal Gear Rising is the first Cider game I've noticed has full 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound support so Transgaming seems to be catching up to all the features lately.

Last edited:

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
I remember all the Mac hardware in MGS4. Surprised we haven't heard more about MGS on mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.