Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
If Steve Jobs were alive he would've smacked Tim for even thinking of buying Beats
:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Why do people think they have the slightest inkling of what Steve Jobs would have done?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
As has been mentioned many times before:

Apple’s Jobs Told Cook Not to Ask ‘What Would Steve Do?’

Among his last advice he had for me, and for all of you, was to never ask what he would do. ‘Just do what’s right,’” Cook said. Jobs wanted Apple to avoid the trap that Walt Disney Co. (DIS) fell into after the death of its iconic founder, Cook said, where “everyone spent all their time thinking and talking about what Walt would do.”

However, if we are to open this hypothetical can of worms I suspect Jobs would be opposed to the deal as he took exception to lousy products.

Beats make headphones which don't sound very good and run a streaming music service that no one uses.

I think Jobs would now seriously consider pursuing Sony. Does this product (High-Resolution Audio Walkman) not look a much better fit with Apple's philosophies than anything Beats produces (i.e. the evolution of iPod):

5334480388ae9492654c79ab805d0b1c

f34dca18eda05e650f794c324f2a2237

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
As has been mentioned many times before:

Apple’s Jobs Told Cook Not to Ask ‘What Would Steve Do?’

However, if we are to open this hypothetical can of worms I suspect Jobs would be opposed to the deal as he took exception to lousy products.

Beats make headphones which don't sound very good and run a streaming music service that no one uses.

I think Jobs would now seriously consider pursuing Sony. Does this product (High-Resolution Audio Walkman) not look a much better fit with Apple's philosophies than anything Beats produces (i.e. the evolution of iPod):

Hideous. Weird bulges all over, excessive physical buttons when there is a touch display.

Looks clunky and bulky. IPod > that.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest

I agree.

I guess it says a lot about Apple that it can (hypothetically) afford to throw more than three billion dollars down the toilet in an attempt to stay at the bleeding edge of "cool." And realistically, it wouldn't even really miss the money.

But I think the deal is a mistake from many, many perspectives.

As you rightly point out, Beats physical products are seriously lacking in technical prowess. They are artfully packaged and marketed, but from an audio perspective they horribly boost the bass, while muddling the midrange tones. Beats headphones are to superior listening the way a cold Big Mac is to fine dining. Good enough to satisfy people who've never experienced adequate - let alone excellent.

More troubling is the personnel aspect of this transaction. I just don't think Dr Dre - or Jimmy Iovine - will make a good fit for Apple. I don't honestly think their knowledge or insight or endorsement will make a significant contribution to Apple's success in either the hardware or content business.

Angela Ahrendt may very well be able to drive Apple's retail experience to even higher levels. But Dr Dre and Jimmy I just don't have the kind of skills needed to persuade more people to pay for 99 cent downloads.

Apple isn't Facebook - a company that can presumably waste several billion dollars on a transaction that makes zero financial sense without suffering on Wall Street. If Apple goes through with this (doomed) deal, I expect its stock to be punished many, many times more than that proposed deal price.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Beats make headphones which don't sound very good...

It's kind of funny how since the Apple-Beats deal was announced, everybody has an opinion of how the headphones sound. Sales must be phenomenal!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If.....

the rationale after the buying of Beat is REALLY get Iovine and Dre for applying their knowledge and prowess in the music industry....I can say Steve could be so-so with that. But I see the point in this discussion: Steve would no buy anything if not 100% sure the buying gets Apple value and resources later needed.

But anyways, the man is dead and we all are ESPECULATING......:D

:):apple:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's kind of funny how since the Apple-Beats deal was announced, everybody has an opinion of how the headphones sound. Sales must be phenomenal!

One week before the first rumour, most people would have told you that Beats headphone don't provide nearly enough sound quality for what they cost. Guess what, after these rumours, people tell you exactly the same thing.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One

Ever gone into a Best Buy and tried them out?
Yeah.. not that great. Especially for the $300 price. My friend picked up a bluetooth set for $80 that sound better.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Hideous. Weird bulges all over, excessive physical buttons when there is a touch display.

Looks clunky and bulky. IPod > that.

I disagree, maybe there are some industrial design elements which could be refined, but overall I think it is quite striking. From a technical perspective it has some very impressive points and it represents a premium product which raises the bar. Here's what a review says:

Sony has recognised that touchscreens aren’t everything, and to this end the ZX1 has physical buttons along its right edge. These are nice to use, and not big enough to catch on bits of clothing.

Next we tried the same files on an iPod Touch, and it sounded brash compared with the ZX1.

We’ve always raved about the Apple’s performance, but the Sony was ahead at every turn, offering greater subtlety with better timing and a greater dynamic range.

Purely in terms of audio performance, it is the best portable music player we’ve reviewed.

Regardless on the details of that particular product I still think Sony are a better culture and philosophical fit with Apple than Beats.

As pointed out by others, the price/performance of Beats products been a question mark a long time before this rumoured acquisition.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Yeah okay, just because he's pictured with Iovine doesn't mean he would consider buying his company a 'smart business decision'.

There's lots of other people Jobs is pictured with. Does it mean he'd agree to buy their businesses too?

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah okay, just because he's pictured with Dre doesn't mean he would consider buying his company a 'smart business decision'.

There's lots of other people Jobs is pictured with. Does it mean he'd agree to buy their businesses too?

If you think the guy in the picture with Steve Jobs is Dr. Dre, than you really don't have any basis for making the comment in the OP. :p

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
I think it's all about the people behind Dre Beats and not just the product. Apple lost some important people and is looking for new blood to keep the company healthy and up front. Look at it as a sports team. It's important to invest in people to play at the top.

Imo Iovine is a true visionaire and could help Tim expand the companies vision to stay ahead of the rest.

One more thing. Headphones can be the next thing now mobile is booming. If they find a way to make a headphone more functional, it could be more important as a device controller. More than a watch or glasses.

Last edited:

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
Jimmy Iovine

So, there are four million bands on MySpace. Four million bands that no one knows. You can’t be in a sea like that, without anyone editing for people.

So lets say tomorrow a band became successful on MySpace. And then someone got the idea. And he said: “I know how to do this. I’m gonna get MySpace and make MySpace records” so now you’ll have two, and then you’ll have three... Sooner or later there will be a big record company involved. There always will be record companies.

Let me answer that question even better though.
This a really significant point. We’ve been saying for a long time. I think the whole thing is flipping. Where is, we have no cloud. Right now, the problem that the consumer electronics companies are gonna have, right now . Their all gonna be the same. Someone has to difference them.

What we are going to do. We’re gonna advantage one of these people. We are so pissed off. That we are gonna advantage one of these guys. And we are gonna advantage the guy who respects music and is gonna pay us for it. So as far as what happens, for the record companies the next years, it could be pretty shocking if what I’m saying right now actually happens and I believe it’s going to. So we are going to advantage someone. And the person, company that we’re gonna advantage will gonna have an enormous amount of cloud. and head start over their competitor. Watch me!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsI7DqgHyM&feature=youtu.be

I enjoyed this four year old interview. The last part of his quote is happening right now and should answer some questions here on MacRumors.

Last edited:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I think Jobs would now seriously consider pursuing Sony.

In no way shape or form could Apple even approach Sony.

Maybe one of the many many many departments Sony has but not just Sony.

Given what they did with Final Cut Pro, Apple wouldn't know the first thing to do with Vegas, let alone the NXCAM series or HDCAM SR series of cameras or broadcast switchers or broadcast monitors or digital cinema or CineAlta or . . . . .

Maybe they can just buy the Walkman brand for $3 billion, I am sure Sony could use the spare change for R&D.

Like any of us would know what Steve would do. Give it up. :rolleyes:

Agreed and please do folks.

We get it already, you don't want to buy products from a company that owns a company that was loosely related to the hip hop culture that your kids adopted.

If you think the guy in the picture with Steve Jobs is Dr. Dre, than you really don't have any basis for making the comment in the OP. :p

I couldn't stop myself from laughing when i read that comment! :D

It does really tell us what we all need to know doesn't it.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
In no way shape or form could Apple even approach Sony.

Maybe one of the many many many departments Sony has but not just Sony.

Given what they did with Final Cut Pro, Apple wouldn't know the first thing to do with Vegas, let alone the NXCAM series or HDCAM SR series of cameras or broadcast switchers or broadcast monitors or digital cinema or CineAlta or . . . . .

Maybe they can just buy the Walkman brand for $3 billion, I am sure Sony could use the spare change for R&D.

Agreed and please do folks.

We get it already, you don't want to buy products from a company that owns a company that was loosely related to the hip hop culture that your kids adopted.

I couldn't stop myself from laughing when i read that comment! :D

It does really tell us what we all need to know doesn't it.

Congrats, you caught me making a mistake. I'm editing my reply to Iovine. I know who Dre is, I even listened to quite a few of his stuff when he was in NWA with Easy E. I don't have kids.

Just because you like hip hop doesn't mean you need to have a sorry taste in headphones. My sennheiser hd 595's kill beats, and I got them 4 years ago and at $119! And my sennheisers may not be as bass heavy, but still has excellent bass, as well as highs, mids, and lows, and can play any type of music!

Beats is nothing but $30 headphones with a $170 price tag for 'style'. It's like buying Bose or Monster Cables, it's meant to be sold to idiots.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Congrats, you caught me making a mistake. I'm editing my reply to Iovine. I know who Dre is, I even listened to quite a few of his stuff when he was in NWA with Easy E. I don't have kids.

Just because you like hip hop doesn't mean you need to have a sorry taste in headphones. My sennheiser hd 595's kill beats, and I got them 4 years ago and at $119! And my sennheisers may not be as bass heavy, but still has excellent bass, as well as highs, mids, and lows, and can play any type of music!

Beats is nothing but $30 headphones with a $170 price tag for 'style'. It's like buying Bose or Monster Cables, it's meant to be sold to idiots.

No, I agree, I think Beats are mediocre headphones, and a joke for the price.

In the end Apple paid the money, we wouldn't know what Steve would have done, and we'll have to wait and see what Apple/Cook does with this purchase of his.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
No, I agree, I think Beats are mediocre headphones, and a joke for the price.

In the end Apple paid the money, we wouldn't know what Steve would have done, and we'll have to wait and see what Apple/Cook does with this purchase of his.

Mediocre or not Beats headphones has 40% of all US headphone sales and close to 70 per cent of premium priced headphones.

I don't recall a time before Beats where people walked around with big headphones on their heads or around their necks.

This company made an impact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.