Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I need some ideas here. Every application on my computer takes forever to open. Just today I counted 40 bounces before Safari even got the little triangle below, and about 20 seconds after that I got the window. Any ideas? I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.3 on an iMac G4 800 and top and process viewer don't show anything strange.

JW

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
A simple reboot usually does the trick, but I am guessing you have already tried that. And i am guessing this only after just waking up from sleep or just booting...

So you can try defragmenting, i am not sure what app you need to do that with on a mac, but I am sure you could find out pretty easily...

Do folders also take a long time to open?

Have you isntalled any third party OS mods or anything ilke that lately?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
In this situation a just repair the priveleges using Disk Utility (your mac/applications/utilities/disk utility).

maclova

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
Switzerland
i run the same system and it takes only 1 bounce... how about this:

•have you tried a reboot ?

•how bout memory (how much) ?

-MACLOVA :)

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Do you have partitioned disk? If you run applications from partition other then boot disk they will launch a *bit* slower.

Do you have Mac OS 9 system folder on your OSX boot disk? If yes - thats the problem.

I think its best u back up your data and format disk and make 2 partitions, 1 big and one small 2-3 GB with mac os 9 and classic apps.

If that doesnt work your mac is fkd up :D
And then you should take it for a repair..

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Can you tell me how to un-partition a drive, a really stupid former-owner of my ibook split these drives into 2 Equaly size drives, I want to erase everything and make it one drive, how do I do that?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by MrMacman
Can you tell me how to un-partition a drive, a really stupid former-owner of my ibook split these drives into 2 Equaly size drives, I want to erase everything and make it one drive, how do I do that?

Well first of all, back up. Next go to disk utility and format your hard drive, you should then be able to choose your partition sizes (or lack of).

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by MrMacman

Just wanted to know what about that made them stupid?

Regards,
Gus

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I've tried all the things above, and taking it in for repair is pointless as I would be the one repairing it anyways (I'm an Apple tech). I've never seen this issue on any other computer, but it is much worse right after login (we run multiple users on this computer). I have 256 MB RAM, and another thing I've noticed just recently is that Window Manager hovers around 15-20% in top. Is that normal, or should I try to change that? Let me know if you have any more tips.

JW

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i hate saying things like this, because it reduces us to the windows world, but have you tried reinstalling? i can't imagine why that wouldn't fix it...

Are other things on the computer slow? like once you have a program open, does everything else inside the program run terribly slow? if so, it could be a hardware issue of some sort (bad ram, perhaps)...

pnw

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I've tried reinstalling, and it doesn't change a thing. I start up without any applications open, and even quit the finder, and try to open an application from the dock, and it takes a very long time to open. I'm taking it up to the shop finally and possibly ordering a new logic board (still under warranty). Oh well. Thanks for trying to help!

JW

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I know this sounds sophomorish compared to the other responses, but have you tried turning off the "animate application while opening"? It actually fixed a similar problem that I had with App load time. Just a thought.

Regards,
Gus

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i used to have the same exact problem. it never cropped up until jaguar, and i had done a format and install. i think i figured out the problem tho. when i originally installed jaguar i formatted the drive, but did not reboot immediately afterwords. i wasnt prompted to, and i just forgot. the problem finally got so bad with the perpetual icon bounce that i decided to reinstall. whenever i formatted the drive AGAIN, i looked at the disk space information in the disk utility. it wasnt right. so i rebooted. upon booting to the jaguar cd, i ran disk utility again. this time it gave the proper information. i installed jaguar and a completely clean partition and havent had the problem since.

long story short. boot to cd, format, reboot to cd, install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.