Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Hi! I've tried searching Google and the forums, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this:

Is it possible to enable whole-disk encryption via FileVault for the Time Capsule shared drive (much like one might do for a USB- or Thunderbolt- drive thru Disk Utilities), without enabling Time Machine?

Thanks!

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Time Machine does not use full-disk encryption on a Time Capsule, it creates an encrypted sparsebundle and mounts that as the backup volume. Disk Utility will let you create encrypted sparsebundles, though I have never tried to make one on a Time Capsule.

A.

malone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Time Machine does not use full-disk encryption on a Time Capsule, it creates an encrypted sparsebundle

Yup, I'm aware of that limitation, which is why I'm asking if one can do FDE/WDE to the Time Capsule :)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Sorry, your use of the phrase "without enabling Time Machine?" led me to believe that you thought you could do it if you enabled Time Machine.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Since the Time Capsule drive is a shared resource, I don't think FileVault encryption makes any sense. If you just want your own files to be secure, try making an encrypted disk image on the Time Capsule drive.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yup, I'm aware of that limitation, which is why I'm asking if one can do FDE/WDE to the Time Capsule :)

No you cannot. OS X FDE uses Filevault to create an encrypted core storage volume on the drive and that cannot be gone on a Time Capsule.

You option would be to create a encrypted sparse bundle like Alrescha mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.