Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joplinG5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Hi all,

Just wondering if the free 200 mb of data monthly renews either on my service start date... or if it renews on my billing date? I signed up for the $10 1 GB plan with a new iPad Air on 4/21 and received the free 200 mb of data at that time... but 5/21 has came and gone and it didn't renew at that time. My billing date won't be until 6/2.

Thanks

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Mine renews on the service start date, the 15th of every month. While my phone service billing cycle resets on the 7th of every month. So they are different.

joplinG5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Mine renews on the service start date, the 15th of every month. While my phone service billing cycle resets on the 7th of every month. So they are different.

Does your free 200 MB renewal on your service start date always show up on the My T-Mobile website? Do you also have a paid data plan on the iPad? I just called TMO about this and could tell they were confused. The rep said my account was provisioned correctly for the free 200 MB and she was going to send a text confirmation to my iPad... but I don't think iPads can receive text messages in the first place. I guess I'll wait a day or so and try again if it doesn't show.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Does your free 200 MB renewal on your service start date always show up on the My T-Mobile website? Do you also have a paid data plan on the iPad? I just called TMO about this and could tell they were confused. The rep said my account was provisioned correctly for the free 200 MB and she was going to send a text confirmation to my iPad... but I don't think iPads can receive text messages in the first place. I guess I'll wait a day or so and try again if it doesn't show.

No it doesn't always show it on the website for some reason. It shows on the My T-Mobile iPhone App though. I don't have a paid iPad plan, just the free 200MB.

joplinG5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
No it doesn't always show it on the website for some reason. It shows on the My T-Mobile iPhone App though. I don't have a paid iPad plan, just the free 200MB.

Thanks. One last question. TMO now claims they sent a text message to the phone number associated with my iPad account saying the 200 MB was renewed on 5/22... but I don't think a cellular iPad is even capable of SMS messaging... correct?

In any case... I did notice around that time that I was using cell data for a day or two and my regular plan data wasn't being allocated out. I guess chances are they renewed the promo data and I wasn't even aware I was using it.

Thanks again.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Thanks. One last question. TMO now claims they sent a text message to the phone number associated with my iPad account saying the 200 MB was renewed on 5/22... but I don't think a cellular iPad is even capable of SMS messaging... correct?

In any case... I did notice around that time that I was using cell data for a day or two and my regular plan data wasn't being allocated out. I guess chances are they renewed the promo data and I wasn't even aware I was using it.

Thanks again.

Yeah in my experience I've never gotten any notification that the 200 MB was renewed. If they're sending an SMS then you can't get it anyway like you said since the iPad isn't SMS capable. They sure do make sure to let you know when it runs out though with all of those offers to purchase more data. I've just come to know that it renews around 3AM EST on the renewal date each month.

joplinG5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Thanks again. You've helped me quite a bit... more so than the TMO reps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.