PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUS imac G5 problem, wont' boot

biohazard6969
Jan 16, 2006, 04:38 PM
ok i popped in the tiger intall disc to do an archive and install cause i was having some speed issues and thought it might help, but it won't restart it gives me this "no exit" type sign and i eventually unplugged it and plugged it back in and the same thing happened, i have EVERYTHING on this computer, and i don't know what this sign means but it obviously can't be good

i need help ASAP

thanks

also, it starts off as the apple logo then changes to this symbol after about a minute of inactivity

Nermal
Jan 16, 2006, 04:44 PM
Reboot and hold Cmd-Opt-O-F at the chime, then type:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

The system will reboot. Hold Option at the chime and boot from the DVD, and see what happens.

biohazard6969
Jan 16, 2006, 04:50 PM
ok i did that and it opened a screen that went rele slowly, but it gave me two choices, macintosh HD or the tiger install disk, i chose the disk, and it did the exact same thing, except now the fans are running at full click!!! its getting worse :( what do i do!

biohazard6969
Jan 16, 2006, 04:54 PM
ok this time i just booted from macintosh HD and everything seems fine.....any idea what that sign means??? i'm guessing somethings wrong with my tiger disk :confused:

Nermal
Jan 16, 2006, 05:12 PM
The fans going at full tilt is normal :)

Yeah, it does sound like something's wrong with your disk. Try making a copy of it, then boot from the copy - sometimes this helps.

biohazard6969
Jan 16, 2006, 05:14 PM
alright weell thanks a lot

mkrishnan
Jan 16, 2006, 05:20 PM
alright weell thanks a lot

What kind of disc is it, and where did it come from? Is it the system restore/install disc that came with that particular computer, or one that came with another one of your macs? Also, have you tried putting it in while booted, and then rebooting from the option in the system preferences -> startup disc pane?