Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So, as you know, the 3rd generation iPod touch comes in 4 sizes. 8 GB, 16, 32, and 64. The 16, 32, and 64 are built slightly different than the 8, and the digitizers are not interchangeable. Thus the 8 GB model's digitizers are exceedingly hard to find on eBay, and I can only find larger model's digitizers. I know a 2nd Gen iPod touch LCD screen will fit and will work in a 3rd gen from experience, but will the 2nd gen digitizer fit in the 3rd gen? I ask because I cannot find any 3rd gen 8 GB iPod touch digitizers anywhere, but 2nd gen digitizers are everywhere (and all models of the 2nd gen digitizer are the same unlike the 3rd). Thx.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
So, as you know, the 3rd generation iPod touch comes in 4 sizes. 8 GB, 16, 32, and 64. The 16, 32, and 64 are built slightly different than the 8, and the digitizers are not interchangeable. Thus the 8 GB model's digitizers are exceedingly hard to find on eBay, and I can only find larger model's digitizers. I know a 2nd Gen iPod touch LCD screen will fit and will work in a 3rd gen from experience, but will the 2nd gen digitizer fit in the 3rd gen? I ask because I cannot find any 3rd gen 8 GB iPod touch digitizers anywhere, but 2nd gen digitizers are everywhere (and all models of the 2nd gen digitizer are the same unlike the 3rd). Thx.

8GB 2nd generation iPod touch = 8GB 3rd generation iPod touch

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
The part you are looking for does not exist because there was never an 8/16 GB third generation iPod touch. The 8 GB second generation model was sold concurrently with the third generation, which was only made in 32/64 GB capacities. You can find more information about how to distinguish iPod models here.

If it's an 8 GB model you're looking to repair, it is a second generation device and needs a second generation digitizer.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
The part you are looking for does not exist because there was never an 8/16 GB third generation iPod touch. The 8 GB second generation model was sold concurrently with the third generation, which was only made in 32/64 GB capacities. You can find more information about how to distinguish iPod models here.

If it's an 8 GB model you're looking to repair, it is a second generation device and needs a second generation digitizer.

Thank you for sharing. This makes a lot more sense!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.