Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch a new software platform that will let the iPhone directly control lights, security systems and other household gadgets at WWDC next week, according to a report from The Financial Times.

The piece claims Apple will make a "big play" in smart home technology by working with device makers give them official approval, like the "Made for iPhone" program does for some accessories like headphones and speaker docks, and software support in iOS 8.

nest.png
The scheme will be similar to Apple's existing "Made for iPhone" label, given to compatible headphones, speakers and other accessories, but with a new brand and logo. Apple may also provide additional checks and assurances that certified products are not vulnerable to hackers.

The Cupertino-based company was likely to emphasise the privacy protections built into its smart home system, one person familiar with Apple's plans told the FT, given heightened sensitivity about technology companies' access to personal information amid revelations about US intelligence agencies' online surveillance programmes.
The piece notes that plans can always change, but that Apple has launched a number of initiatives over the past year or two, including CarPlay and iBeacon, to expand the reach of the iPhone and have it interact more with the real world and other electronic devices in it.

Apple's retail stores sell a number of different components of the so-called "Internet of Things", including the Google-owned Nest Thermostat (pictured above), Philips Hue lightbulbs and Belkin WeMo Wi-Fi enabled light switches.

Article Link: Apple to Launch New 'Smart Home' Platform at WWDC

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
If this is true, watch the share price spike.

I can imagine a fixture that sits between a light bulb and its socket, that does the wireless connectivity and maybe even has a microphone that communicates to an Airport/ATV to enable Siri voice control in every room.

Last edited:

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
That and not having to unlock an iPod or iPad when used as a pure remote control would be super cool!

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Good strategy. Better than buying Nest or some other company that makes gadgets for the home, IMHO. Just center all of them around the iPhone/iPad.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Good. The biggest problem with domotics today, IMO, is not the hardware, but rather the software and integration.

Each manufacturer will make you use their own app to control their hardware, making it way more complicated than it should. The simplicity that domotics may provide is partially cancelled out by the learning curve/poor integration of the software it comes with.

Apple and Google will probably both offer software that unifies all "smart home" controls inside a single app/service, which is exactly what we need. The fact those two big players will be competing also means consumers will benefit more in the end, especially since Google's solution will probably be available on iOS.

Looks like what was originally a futuristic dream (for decades) will finally catch on with mainstream consumers. I'm excited to see where this will go, and how exactly this will integrate with Apple's business model. Google will obviously collect data. Apple may just lock you further in the iOS ecosystem, making sure you keep buying their hardware and MFi accessories.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
And then my house can be hacked! :eek:

They could *gulp* raise my temperature and run up my electric bill...or, or, or turn of the lights when I'm walking and I fall! ;)

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The piece claims Apple will make a "big play" in smart home technology by working with device makers give them official approval, like the "Made for iPhone" program does for some accessories like headphones and speaker docks

You mean the Made for iPhone program that took the huge ecosystem advantage Apple had in speaker accessories and combined with Lightning completely blew it by being hard to work with and stupidly expensive?

Or the one that killed the iOS controller marketplace stone dead by mandating poor quality suppliers and making the offerings stupidly overpriced so it never got going?

This initiative is dead at birth if it's related to Made for iPhone.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
This is great but this better not be the "big thing" at WWDC. We better see an iWatch!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Almost 70% OS WWDC sessions are TBA. Maybe this is one of the reasons? Perhaps some of these sessions are around the connected home?

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Hate to break it to ya Mr. Stockholder, I have yet to see the stocks increase after any Apple Keynote no matter how awesome the product is.

This is true when there is a rumor buildup going into the event, the stock rise prior to the event then fall because expectations are too high.

On the other hand, if something unexpected happens, the stock could still rise following an event.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Good strategy. Better than buying Nest or some other company that makes gadgets for the home, IMHO. Just center all of them around the iPhone/iPad.

Totally wrong 1000%

you may as well make a car that only runs on Apple Gas and hope everyone buys it.

Sure Apple make something new, but don't make it do only your devices can use it, otherwise it will fail again.

isepic

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
Hate to break it to ya Mr. Stockholder, I have yet to see the stocks increase after any Apple Keynote no matter how awesome the product is.
They typically go down, because all the big money pants loose their faith after the huge hype. But in reality, this is the best time to buy, after it goes down. Because it then goes back up after the scary cats go elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.