Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
In order to use Back to Mac, I need to turn on Screen and File Sharing. I want to make sure that turning these on will not compromise the security of my Macs. I did not change any of the default settings that were enabled when I turned thees on.

1. What settings should I be concerned with looking into for security reasons?

2. Does Screen Sharing and File Sharing need to be turned on on both Macs or only on one of them?

3. I also just noticed that when I went to Go > Network that I am able to access all of the files on my other Mac. Is this part of Back to Mac, or is this on now because I turned on File Sharing?

Thanks in advance.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Turn on your firewall and enable stealth mode. Also, when not on a home, trusted network, I check "Block All Incoming Conenctions" to ensure I'm not broadcasting screen and file sharing, and turn them off as well.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
In order to use Back to Mac, I need to turn on Screen and File Sharing. I want to make sure that turning these on will not compromise the security of my Macs. I did not change any of the default settings that were enabled when I turned thees on.

1. What settings should I be concerned with looking into for security reasons?

2. Does Screen Sharing and File Sharing need to be turned on on both Macs or only on one of them?

3. I also just noticed that when I went to Go > Network that I am able to access all of the files on my other Mac. Is this part of Back to Mac, or is this on now because I turned on File Sharing?

Thanks in advance.

You only have to enable Screen Sharing to use BTMM to remote in.

File Sharing only if you want to see a list of shared files on the remote computer from within your Finder window.

Even when just screen sharing a remote Mac, you can drag and drop files across them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.