Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google subsidiary VirusTotal announced (via The Next Web) and launched a version of its VirusTotal Uploader for OS X, bringing the popular malware scanning tool to Apple's platform for the first time.

virustotal_uploader-800x512.jpg
After a quick installation, the program allows users to drag and drop any file, folder, or application to perform a malware scan. VirusTotal Uploader utilizes over 50 different databases to search for any traces of malware.
Hopefully this will lead to VirusTotal receiving more Mac applications, diving deeper into an increasingly targeted OS by attackers and allowing antivirus companies and researchers making use of VirusTotal's backend to build stronger defenses against these threats.
VirusTotal Uploader for OS X can be downloaded for free from the utility's official website.

Article Link: Malware Scanning Tool 'VirusTotal Uploader' Released for OS X

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This is free with no paid option and owned by Google.
I'd be afraid this is basically a spyware. Would it remove itself? :p

----------

I thought Macs didn't get viruses???

They don't but they can get other kinds of malware like trojans or keyloggers. I guess they didn't want to create a new brand for the OS X version of their existing software.

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
"“VirusTotalUploader” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.

“VirusTotalUploader” is on the disk image “VirusTotalUploader_1.0.dmg”. Google Chrome downloaded this disk image today at 01:51 from www.virustotal.com."

Um :-/

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Even the name is ugly, "VirusTotal UPLOADER" there are plenty of better words to use than "uploader" when you are talking about virus removal.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Wow... they took about 5 minutes to design the UI for this app. And non-retina on top of it. LOL couldn't scan anything. It just hung there. It took me longer to write this post then I had the damn thing installed on my Mac.

AppleBiter

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
:eek:I can't believe it's Google's product! Didn't inherit any of the Google's good blood of beauty!!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If anybody is looking for good anti-malware, I'd suggest checking out ClamXav on the App Store. As one would expect, it doesn't require you to upload individual files to a server for scanning.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If anybody is looking for good anti-malware, I'd suggest checking out ClamXav on the App Store. As one would expect, it doesn't require you to upload individual files to a server for scanning.

If you want an app that monitors your system too, I’d recommend downloading ClamXav from the developer’s website instead. The App Store version does not contain the Sentry.

My personal favourite at the moment is Sophos Anti-Virus (also free). It monitors the system, including your browsing activity, has a very good detection rate and is pretty lightweight, unlike some other apps.

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I get the impression this was made by a Windows developer with virtually no Mac experience but his UI toolkit can be compiled for Mac so no-one's going to notice, right?

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
This is not a malware scanner in the traditional sense. This is a tool that you can use when you have already identified a suspect file and want to have it checked by as many malware scanning engines as possible. It's more of a researcher's tool I'd say.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Why? And is there any other kind?

It is not difficult to change a virus signature to avoid detection. There are actually services designed just for that purpose. They take a piece of malware and scan it to see if it is detectable by common AV programs. If it is, they encrypt it, sometimes more than once, and run the check again. Once it is undetectable, they give it to the customer. It's one of the larger criminal enterprises out there. Signature based detection will always be a step or two behind.

A better solution is to close the holes that malware uses to gain entry. Usually this is done by turning off or removing services and software you don't need, updating your software, and by being a smart user.

edit: Now, I did say "mostly useless" for a reason. Sig based AV is good for protection against lazy criminals and script kiddies, both of whom will typically not take advantage of the services I mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.