Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo indicates that Apple will include Touch ID across all new iOS devices in 2014, boosting shipments and bringing the fingerprint sensor to the iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. The report reiterates previous claims made by Kuo last month, which noted that Apple's next-generation iPads will feature Touch ID upon their releases this fall.

touchid.jpg
Apple's Touch ID module should see shipments soar 233% in 2014. We believe every new iOS device launched this year will be equipped with Touch ID, including 4.7" and 5.5" new iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 2 with Retina display. Considering shipments of new products and iPhone 5S sales last longer than in 2013, we forecast unit sales of the fingerprint sensor module to grow 233% to 120mn for 2014.
Kuo also notes that Apple will change its Touch ID module design to utilize tin over previously used chemicals to enhance durability. Apple is also expected to stick with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and its subsidary XinTec to produce the fingerprint sensors.

Last month, it was noted that TSMC provided the first batch of fingerprint sensors for the iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3. A report in January noted that TSMC would begin production on the sensors sometime in the second quarter of this year with a new 12-inch fab processing method, however a report in February stated that TSMC would be using the same 8-inch fingerprint sensor processing method used for the iPhone 5s.

Improved shipments of Touch ID will also likely help launch supplies of all three devices, as low yield rates of the component was said to be a key factor contributing to the limited supplies of the iPhone 5s at its launch last September.

Article Link: Touch ID Once Again Said to Come to iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 This Year

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Obvious. Like predicting the sun will rise tomorrow. Tell me something I don't know MR.

In other news, MR believes that the iPhone 6 will have a CPU and come with included software.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
So glad that "analyst" Ming-Chi Kuo is around to keep us up to date with what we already know......:rolleyes:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
As others have mentioned, big whoopee surprise.

What would be a more pleasant surprise is if Touch ID were to come to Macs...

Evmanw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
iWatch

so either no iWatch this year, it will have touch ID, or it will not run iOS. ;)

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Touch ID, to me, makes less sense on a tablet. At least, unless they're going to add multiuser support finally.

That said, if the thing is cheap enough and they can make enough of them to meet demand, there's really no downside to including it on as many Apple devices as they care to.

Of course I still won't use it, regardless. Analog security is so easily bypassed, and we shouldn't encourage its widespread adoption.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
The part about using tin versus chemicals to improve durability is the only interesting part of this article.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
In Other News...

In other news, the iPhone 6 will feature a retina display.

Think of how ridiculous the article title is.... "once again?" No, they spent all that R&D on a one-off use for the iPhone 5s.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Tomorrow the LG G3 will be announced. I dare you MacRumors to post something that is not Samsung flame-bait.
And why post the obvious? Don't need 20 articles till release to tell us touch ID is coming to iDevices. It was assumed last year and it will be assumed again this year.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
So glad that "analyst" Ming-Chi Kuo is around to keep us up to date with what we already know......:rolleyes:

In this latest research note, Mich-Chi Kuo tells us that the Touch ID sensor will be based on tin (the metal) rather than on certain other chemicals to increase its durability. This is something that we did not know before. Of course, we knew that Touch ID would make it into iOS devices this year! And, I would not be surprised to see Touch ID included in Macs too at some point in the not-too-distant future.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
New research?????? What new research??? Anyone knows that apple will use Touch ID on future products and extremely likely to be ok iPads.

----------

File this one in the "Obvious Rumors" section. :p

Is it really a rumor? I'm thinking closer to fact.

----------

Obvious. Like predicting the sun will rise tomorrow. Tell me something I don't know MR.

In other news, MR believes that the iPhone 6 will have a CPU and come with included software.

I don't know I'm thinking that the iPhone 6 will be sold only for hardware then you new to buy a $500 disk with iOS on it and then put that in your computer and transfer it over to your phone. But the disk only works once so don't screw up.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
That's like.. not even a prediction at this point. It's pretty much a fact. Everyone knows this is happening.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No ****.

Did he really say it will return on the next iPhone?

****, he's a genius!

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.