PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Powerbook won't close

native00
Jan 16, 2006, 10:51 PM
It happened awhile ago - the lid won't stay locked. As you can imagine, this created problems with staying asleep while in my computer backpack. So, I have been just shutting it down everytime I pack it up and go somwhere. I've just barely begun to wonder if the added powering on and off is causing unnecessary wear on the computer in any way. What do you all think?

Also, do you think this is a repair that I will have to send it in for, or something that I can do myself?

Not that it matter too much, but it is the 15"/1.25.

Will_reed
Jan 16, 2006, 11:55 PM
my freind had a similar problem and it closed quit hapily when I closed it perhaps you should take it in I dunno.

stoid
Jan 17, 2006, 12:02 AM
I've seen this in many iBooks, so I'd imagine it could happen to a PowerBook too.

The little latch that pops out of the screen half when you close it can get bent outward, and so it won't stay clipped.

The solution I found was to nearly close the laptop so that the magnetic will pull out the latch, then gently GENTLY! bend the metal piece back in (downward when the laptop is open).

See if that fixes your problem...

jacobj
Jan 17, 2006, 12:45 AM
I have just fixed the same problem on my PB. I nearly close it to the point that the hooks in the screen pop out, slip my little finger in and push the right latch to the left and the left to the right, hold them there (one at a time) as I open the screen. I then bent the latches downwards toward the keyboard. Don't use too much force. Do it bit by bit and test it. Eventually the latch will hold nice and firmly.

neocell
Jan 17, 2006, 04:38 AM
Sometimes I need to squeeze the lid a bit right about where the latch is to get it to catch. Don't know why only sometimes I need to do this, but if I don't hear the click, a small squeeze will always right things. 12" PB

native00
Jan 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks to all for the advice - I'll get right on it and let you know how it goes.

Update: Ok. I'm starting to figure it out just like you people had said.

yellow
Jan 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
There's a magnet in there that helps pull the latch into place. This is a fairly common problem. You should take into an Apple Certified Repair place and have them fix it quickly.

TheMasin9
Jan 17, 2006, 11:54 AM
arent we all glad the powerbook pros latch is magnetic. O happy day!

-Escher-
Jan 17, 2006, 12:15 PM
This is another VERY COMON UNFIXED problem in an Apple machine. If you search in this forum/other forum/google you'll find thousands of posts and solutions! The amazing thing is that Apple seems to unrecognize it...humpf...

Just throw it away and get a new MBP and pray to get a bug free machine!:D

It's like buying a car that you can't close the door properly and thousands consumers have the same problem and you can always "gently bend the metal piece" to get it worked fine....It's a joke!

jacobj
Jan 17, 2006, 12:27 PM
This is another VERY COMON UNFIXED problem in an Apple machine. If you search in this forum/other forum/google you'll find thousands of posts and solutions! The amazing thing is that Apple seems to unrecognize it...humpf...

Just throw it away and get a new MBP and pray to get a bug free machine!:D

It's like buying a car that you can't close the door properly and thousands consumers have the same problem and you can always "gently bend the metal piece" to get it worked fine....It's a joke!

Mine was caused by my daughter taking her first steps whilst I was lying on the floor with my PB and she fell on the screen and bent it backwards.. that seemed to make it harder for the catches to take hold..

So I did the bending bit I mentioned above to fix the PB and then helped my daughter learn to walk properly...

did I do that in the wrong order ;)

stoid
Jan 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
did I do that in the wrong order ;)

Certainly not, you have your priorities straight.

Think about it, your daughter, if just learning to walk, will probably be around the house for another 15 years or so. Your laptop will be obsolete and replaced in less than 5 or 6 at the most! Spending time on the laptop is critical! It's days are far fewer!! :D

jacobj
Jan 17, 2006, 12:36 PM
Certainly not, you have your priorities straight.

Think about it, your daughter, if just learning to walk, will probably be around the house for another 15 years or so. Your laptop will be obsolete and replaced in less than 5 or 6 at the most! Spending time on the laptop is critical! It's days are far fewer!! :D

I'll quote you to my wife when I get home and see what she says ;)

My PB is due to move on to pastures new in just 3-55 weeks. I am not convinced Apple meant this February.