Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone-5s-e1401323991481.jpg
Apple may introduce a new 8GB iPhone 5s model for emerging markets and the much-rumored lower-cost iMac at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, according to a new research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo.
As iPhone 5S is a highly popular model, we predict Apple may launch an 8GB version to boost market share in emerging markets.
Kuo notes that Apple may not announce the new 8GB iPhone 5s model on-stage at WWDC, but will possibly debut the phone around the same time.

In addition, Kuo predicts that a lower-cost iMac is likely to debut as well, following up his earlier report and rumors that were fueled after shipping estimates for the machine began to slip in Apple's Online Store. Earlier today, references to new iMac models appeared in OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 beta before it was pulled from the Mac App Store and Developer Center.

Finally, Kuo notes that if Apple does in fact launch a smart home software platform that it will likely involve iCloud, iBeacons and Airplay. Both iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 are expected to debut at the conference as well.

WWDC 2014 will kick off on June 2 with a keynote address from CEO Tim Cook at 10 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: Apple May Introduce 8GB iPhone 5s and Lower-Cost iMacs at WWDC

Imaginator

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
The Cosmos
8GB is barely enough to hold the OS and 5 of the most popular apps. Time to go 16/64/128 Apple. It costs them pennies to add that much storage. Having an 8GB phone these days is just insulting.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
The cheaper iMac I get, yeah that's great and all...

But an 8GB 5S? My friend's 16 Gig is almost full, and he has almost nothing on the phone. Hell, even my 64GB is feeling cramped with the size of apps these days.

With the iPhone 5C in existence - my only question is WHY.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Serious question, what's the difference in wholesale cost between 8GB and 16GB? 50 cents? A dollar? And this will miraculously allow the phone to be priced so it can be sold in emerging markets?

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
So, those emerging markets are not falling for the garbage 8GB 5C, so that they are making the 8GB 5S?

When will this stupidity / insanity end?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
we can't innovate, so lets just make our products cheaper... you know, reduce capacity, capabilities, and align ourselves with the robust and highly meaningful world of gangster rap and crappy headphones.

I'm disgusted... downloading Ubuntu now and looking for a Ubuntu Touch mobile device.

You'll be googling for HOW TO UNINSTALL UBUNTU FROM MY MAC before the nite is done. But hey, have fun!

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
I barely have enough room on my 64GB... And that's with media split between it and my iPad.

That said, I don't see a use for it myself. But for someone who wants the high end device without a ton of wasted space, I guess it works out.

Rychiar

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
why the hell is the memory still the factor in a $100 difference in apple product prices. the difference in cost between memory amounts in negligible at the sizes they are. 8gb is just about worthless unless you never plan to shoot photos, add music, or download apps. hell 16 is too little memory for these things to work right with average use:rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Haha Apple will not be announcing any iOS hardware at a WWDC. If they do sell an 8 GB 5S it will be a quiet launch like they did with the 5C overseas.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
The cheaper iMac I get, yeah that's great and all...

But an 8GB 5S? My friend's 16 Gig is almost full, and he has almost nothing on the phone. Hell, even my 64GB is feeling cramped with the size of apps these days.

With the iPhone 5C in existence - my only question is WHY.

16GB gold iPhone 5s here. 500+ songs, 1000+ photos, 54 apps, 1GB occupied by Messages, and still a couple gigabytes to spare. That's not "almost nothing" by any measure.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Hey Apple! Want to boost iPhone sales? Quit teasing and announce the 6!

Seriously, that seems more likely to come at WWDC than cheaper iMacs of which we've heard nothing up to this point. At least the iPhone 6 has had some hefty leaks, as doubtful a June announcement seems.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Bring back the 17-inch iMac, and I'm there. :D

But no thanks to the 8GB iPhone 5S. My mom has managed with her 8GB iPhone 4, but I could never go back to a device with that small of space again unless you stuck a MicroSD in there.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, is the lower capacity iPhone going to be a "running trend" or something ?

They've already done with with the 5c, but that's low cost anyway, somewhat.

This is probably going after those people that want TouchID, but can't afford the 16Gig version.

(Cheaper iMacs...... ummmm Macs..) How low can u go ? Soon you will probably find there is basically no difference between the price of the mac mini and the "low cost imac"

They just dropped 3 billions. They need to cut down costs somehow.

Gee, i wonder where that money came from :rolleyes:

When Apple closes one window, Tim opens another

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
i would think the 5C is the low-cost device...unless they want the Touch ID on every future device?

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Cool.. I'm excited for both.

A lot of people only use Whatsapp on their phone (most of my aunts). I think an 8gb is fine for them. I'm sure they'll be happy to upgrade their 16GB 4S to an 8GB 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.