Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RicerDicer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2014
Hi Everyone,

After looking for different offline prototyping tools to use, I decided to try Indesign. I had assumed that if Indesign is used for prototyping apps, someone must have created an .indd file containing the correctly sized buttons and templates so that they can easily be dragged around.

At the moment, the only solution I see is to take the PSD ios templates and save them bit by bit into draggable elements, but it boggles my mind as to how nobody already prepared these elements for prototyping.

Please let me know if these .indd files exist. If not, has anyone already neatly cropped all the ios7 parts so that they can be inserted into Indesign?

Thank you so much!

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I think your problem might be assuming that people are using InDesign for iOS prototyping.

Have to say that would be my last choice, especially with all the templates available for other apps (as well as new apps specifically aimed towards interface design like Sketch).

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I think that RicerDicer hit the nail on the head. It's not really what InDesign is designed for - although I guess you *could* use it if you felt a little masochistic.

Personally, in the past I've used OmniGraffle with the free Konigi wireframe stencils available here:

http://konigi.com/tools/omnigraffle-wireframe-stencils

It's good enough so sketch out the rough gist of your idea.

I should point out that I don't work for Konigi or OmniGraffle, although for the amount of evangelising I do for them, the should maybe consider paying me! ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.