Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
I currently am running 10.9.3 with File Vault on. I do weekly backups to an external drive.

10.9.3 is a result of updates several several generations deep- i.e. all the way back to Lion. I would like to wipe the drive and do a fresh install- however the external drive is encrypted as well. I am curious abut how, using File Vault, this is handled, whether one has an opportunity to enter the old key for use on the new install- and whether or not one still has access to the encrypted backup disk after the new install? Does File Vault de facto generate a new encryption key on a new install or can one use the old key?

I did a search for this here and came up empty handed. Thanks.

Expat42451

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
FileVault and Time Machine encryption are totally independent. The data is "Decrypted" from FileVault at the time it's sent to your TM backup - so you can restore to an encrypted or decrypted drive, it doesn't know the difference.

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
FreakinEurekan

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that when File Vault was enabled, that the back up drive was also encrypted with the same key.

That is definitely good to know. Also good to know that a nuke, pave, reinstall and restore shouldn't be a problem.

Many thanks

Expat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.