PDA

View Full Version : trade in cd's for ipod

askthedust
Jan 17, 2006, 10:14 AM
Has anyone here done this?

http://www.millenniummusic.com/trades.html

I am about to send in cd's for this offer and was wondering if anyone has done this and what happened when you did...

emaja
Jan 17, 2006, 10:24 AM
At first, it does not look bad, but do the math. You are getting about $2.20 to $2.30 a CD, plus you have to ship them.

I would see what your local used CD store will give you and use those funds towards an iPod. I have always received at least $3.00 per disk and sometimes a lot more and got cash in hand rather than waiting after shipping them.

iSaint
Jan 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
Seek and ye shall find (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=170235&highlight=millenium).

I'll be putting a pic up soon of my daughter opening her new 2G iPod Nano.

Johnny Rico
Jan 17, 2006, 11:39 AM
I would see what your local used CD store will give you and use those funds towards an iPod. I have always received at least $3.00 per disk and sometimes a lot more and got cash in hand rather than waiting after shipping them.
Unfortunately selling used cds at the local record store usually allows you to liquidate only about 10% of the cds you were trying to get rid of in the first place.. also imagine bringing in 100+ used cds to a record shop, then waiting for the clerk to inspect every single one for damage, then look up the listing to see what the demand for each individual disc is, then figuring out what each one is worth, then giving you the $30 you'll probably get for your ~1 hour of trouble. Sounds to me like people should keep their hard copies in case of ipod/hard drive failure and then just go and frickin buy an ipod.

emaja
Jan 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
Unfortunately selling used cds at the local record store usually allows you to liquidate only about 10% of the cds you were trying to get rid of in the first place...

I have never had that happen at all. Most of the CDs I trade in are taken. Mind you, I do not have the most popular musical tastes, so my collection is not filled with Britney and stuff like that that already lines their shelves.

Still, no one is suggeting that you buy CDs, rip them to iTunes, then ship them off for $2.00 each to get a nano. As is pointed out in the other thread on this, you would be seriously overpaying for your nano.

askthedust
Feb 15, 2006, 07:53 AM
Received a 60 gb ipod for trade in. it cost 280 cd's to equal their posted trade-in value of 175, but is was brand new and has been working fine since opening it up.

TsuaSai
Feb 15, 2006, 08:31 AM
Well not the worst of things i have seen on the web. However I would also check and see what kinda deal you local store would give you. I might think about doing this to save some money on the back end. Only thing is it takes up to 45 days to get your ipod. Which I kinda want mine sooner than that.

Good luck with it and tell us how it goes.

aricher
Feb 15, 2006, 10:39 AM
I know it can be time consuming but have you thought of selling your CDs on eBay? I sold all mine on on eBay. When all was done I had only about 20 CDs nobody wanted to buy and had enough cash to buy a 17" PB and a 40 GB 3G iPod. Plus I got rid of the mountains of CDs that littered my living room.

big
Feb 15, 2006, 10:56 AM
I sent in 160, they took 80 at full price, 50 at half price and the rest they returned. It's cool though, good idea.

IJ Reilly
Feb 15, 2006, 11:22 AM
Still, no one is suggeting that you buy CDs, rip them to iTunes, then ship them off for $2.00 each to get a nano. As is pointed out in the other thread on this, you would be seriously overpaying for your nano.

Not to mention, it would be illegal and unethical. If you want the copies, you have to keep the originals.

TsuaSai
Feb 15, 2006, 12:57 PM
I sent in 160, they took 80 at full price, 50 at half price and the rest they returned. It's cool though, good idea.

You have to pay for shipping back though, right?

I wish there was a way that you could send a list and at least know what titles are getting full price. I know condition of the cd plays a big part too. But I just would like to know what is worth sending. Cause I wouldn't want to pay shipping back.

clayj
Feb 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
I've seen these promotions before... let me make sure I have this correct:

1. You send them your CDs.
2. They rip the CDs and put the new MP3/AAC files on an iPod.
3. They send you the iPod and keep your CDs.

Let's analyze what's wrong with this:

1. First and foremost, this is GROSS COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. Only the owner of the CDs (which ends up being THEM or whoever they sell them to) should have any digital music files generated from those CDs. What these folks are doing is ILLEGAL.
2. If something happens to your iPod, you are SOL unless you've first used some sort of utility to extract the files to your computer.
3. The quality of the ripped files will not be anywhere close to the quality of the original music on the CDs.
4. As has been pointed out, you're getting a lousy return on the cost of your CDs... a few dollars at most for each CD.

Only a sucker would go for this deal. Don't be a sucker.

TsuaSai
Feb 15, 2006, 01:21 PM
Well there are plenty of suckers out there to fall for stuff like this. I can easily see how someone would see this want an ipod and not have the money. Yet have a sizeable music colleciton. Not to say its right to do this. Just saying its easy for me to see how people would think this is easier than saving the money to buy one.

iSaint
Feb 15, 2006, 01:37 PM
I've seen these promotions before... let me make sure I have this correct:

1. You send them your CDs.
2. They rip the CDs and put the new MP3/AAC files on an iPod.
3. They send you the iPod and keep your CDs.

Let's analyze what's wrong with this:

1. First and foremost, this is GROSS COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. Only the owner of the CDs (which ends up being THEM or whoever they sell them to) should have any digital music files generated from those CDs. What these folks are doing is ILLEGAL.
2. If something happens to your iPod, you are SOL unless you've first used some sort of utility to extract the files to your computer.
3. The quality of the ripped files will not be anywhere close to the quality of the original music on the CDs.
4. As has been pointed out, you're getting a lousy return on the cost of your CDs... a few dollars at most for each CD.

Only a sucker would go for this deal. Don't be a sucker.

That's not what I did with them at all. They 'buy' your used CDs with an iPod of value based on the value of the CDs you send them. I felt I got a good deal based on what CDs I sent them, knowing some were good sellers in their time and possibly now. If I have my CDs on my iTunes library, I don't want to keep the bulky CDs around anymore. Now I carry my music library with me wherever I go.

I received a new iPod Nano from Millenium Music. They didn't 'rip the CDs' on the iPod or anywhere else for my benefit.

Here's the link (http://www.millenniummusic.com/trades.html) to the details.

TsuaSai
Feb 15, 2006, 01:41 PM
That's not what I did with them at all. They 'buy' your used CDs with an iPod of value based on the value of the CDs you send them. I felt I got a good deal based on what CDs I sent them, knowing some were good sellers in their time and possibly now. If I have my CDs on my iTunes library, I don't want to keep the bulky CDs around anymore. Now I carry my music library with me wherever I go.

I received a new iPod Nano from Millenium Music. They didn't 'rip the CDs' on the iPod or anywhere else for my benefit.

Here's the link (http://www.millenniummusic.com/trades.html) to the details.

How long did it take you to get your ipod? Was it the full 45 days or whatever it says?

timswim78
Feb 15, 2006, 01:49 PM
If I have my CDs on my iTunes library, I don't want to keep the bulky CDs around anymore. Now I carry my music library with me wherever I go.

If you sell/trade/give away your CD's, then you legally/ethically have to erase those tracks from your iTunes library.

It would be like buying and installing Tiger on your computer, and then selling the disk on ebay.

TsuaSai
Feb 15, 2006, 02:04 PM
I highly doubt that people do that though....

IJ Reilly
Feb 15, 2006, 02:09 PM
If you sell/trade/give away your CD's, then you legally/ethically have to erase those tracks from your iTunes library.

It would be like buying and installing Tiger on your computer, and then selling the disk on ebay.

Precisely. This is one of those "wink and a nod" programs. They know you're probably violating copyrights by keeping the ripped tracks on the CDs you send in, but they don't care because it's you not they who are violating the copyright laws.

TsuaSai
Feb 15, 2006, 02:12 PM
Right it you or us. So there for we would be the ones to get in trouble if you got caught.

iSaint
Feb 15, 2006, 08:10 PM
How long did it take you to get your ipod? Was it the full 45 days or whatever it says?

The whole deal was completed in less than two weeks. From my mailing the CDs to them, to my receiving the iPod.

Of all the laws I break, this concerns me the least. Ever since I've been an audiophile I've recorded albums to tape, and now I copy CDs to iTunes. There are far more things in this world to worry about than whether every song on every iPod (or other MP3 player) in the world is legally owned. How is it that I would have knowledge of this law in the first place?

BTW I can't really think of any laws that I break.
:confused:
:rolleyes:

IJ Reilly
Feb 15, 2006, 08:16 PM
Ask any cop -- ignorance of the law is no excuse.

PaRaGoNViCtiM
Feb 15, 2006, 11:38 PM
Ask any cop -- ignorance of the law is no excuse.
OMG! LOL!
Of all the laws I break, this concerns me the least. Ever since I've been an audiophile I've recorded albums to tape, and now I copy CDs to iTunes. There are far more things in this world to worry about than whether every song on every iPod (or other MP3 player) in the world is legally owned.
Very well said!!!

clayj
Feb 15, 2006, 11:53 PM
Very well said!!!It might be "very well said", but technically what iSaint described is NOT breaking any law. With the exception of DVDs (which are covered by the DMCA because their content contains encryption which must be broken in order to make a copy of said content), it's perfectly legal to rip your CDs to MP3s, AACs, or any other digital media format... and it's perfectly legal to transfer your 8-tracks, LPs, cassettes, or any other music to CD, computer, or whatever.

What ISN'T legal is making a copy and then distributing the copy to someone else, or retaining the copy when you give/sell/rent/loan the original media to someone else. When you do that, two people have what only one person paid for. That's copyright infringement.

If people are ripping their CDs to audio files and then transferring the CDs to someone else, technically that's illegal.

Back on topic, if this company is just trading you an iPod for your CDs, there's nothing illegal about that... but I have seen many spam e-mails where companies are offering an iPod PLUS rips of your CDs in exchange for your CDs. That's illegal.

briangig
Feb 16, 2006, 12:15 AM
time to hit up the flea markets.

IJ Reilly
Feb 16, 2006, 10:44 AM
It might be "very well said", but technically what iSaint described is NOT breaking any law. With the exception of DVDs (which are covered by the DMCA because their content contains encryption which must be broken in order to make a copy of said content), it's perfectly legal to rip your CDs to MP3s, AACs, or any other digital media format... and it's perfectly legal to transfer your 8-tracks, LPs, cassettes, or any other music to CD, computer, or whatever.

What ISN'T legal is making a copy and then distributing the copy to someone else, or retaining the copy when you give/sell/rent/loan the original media to someone else. When you do that, two people have what only one person paid for. That's copyright infringement.

If people are ripping their CDs to audio files and then transferring the CDs to someone else, technically that's illegal.

Back on topic, if this company is just trading you an iPod for your CDs, there's nothing illegal about that... but I have seen many spam e-mails where companies are offering an iPod PLUS rips of your CDs in exchange for your CDs. That's illegal.

Very well said.

Black&Tan
Feb 16, 2006, 12:45 PM
Of all the laws I break, this concerns me the least. Ever since I've been an audiophile I've recorded albums to tape, and now I copy CDs to iTunes. There are far more things in this world to worry about than whether every song on every iPod (or other MP3 player) in the world is legally owned. How is it that I would have knowledge of this law in the first place?

Of course if you read this article on Electronic Frontiers:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004409.php

the RIAA is now trying to equate iPods to new media, similar to the transition from albums to CD's. Therefore, even transferring songs from CD's you've purchased to an iPod is not considered fair use. In their perfect world, you would need to buy a digital download for use on an iPod, regardless of the fact that you already own the 8-track, vinyl, and CD.

This is getting downright scary.

IJ Reilly
Feb 16, 2006, 01:07 PM
Of course if you read this article on Electronic Frontiers:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004409.php

the RIAA is now trying to equate iPods to new media, similar to the transition from albums to CD's. Therefore, even transferring songs from CD's you've purchased to an iPod is not considered fair use. In their perfect world, you would need to buy a digital download for use on an iPod, regardless of the fact that you already own the 8-track, vinyl, and CD.

This is getting downright scary.

It's been scary for a long time. The music industry remains their own worst enemy. They seem to be trying to reserve the right to argue that ripping a CD for personal use is not fair use. But that doesn't change anything for now, because under current law, it is fair use.

Black&Tan
Feb 16, 2006, 02:07 PM
It's been scary for a long time. The music industry remains their own worst enemy. They seem to be trying to reserve the right to argue that ripping a CD for personal use is not fair use. But that doesn't change anything for now, because under current law, it is fair use.

For Now..

IJ Reilly
Feb 16, 2006, 02:21 PM
For Now..

Right, and like I say, the music industry has always been their own worst enemy. They could try something really stupid, like copy protected CDs (wait, they already have). I already refuse to buy copy-protected CDs, so I don't think I'll have any problem forgoing CDs entirely if the industry gets high-handed with fair use, and I'm sure I won't be alone.