Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
my 5gig ipod died.. again.

It displays the apple logo and then a file folder icon with an exclamation point inside of a triangle.

i can reset it and get into the diagnostic mode and run a scan on the disk, however the scan never ends and eventually the battery dies.

I have let it drain for a few days and then charged back up again but its still dead.

Any ideas? I have tried to reinstall the software but the computer cant see it to install the new software.

I'm stuck

-Doc

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Yep. Im getting it in the poop shoot. :)

When I plug it into the computer it just says I need to initialize the drive and disk utility fires up... searches for 10 minutes and eventually sees it.

But it wont let me run first aid.

Any suggestions.. I'll do anything.

Thanks man.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
All the repair options in "first aid" tab are greyed out.... I can erase it... but can I then reinstall the iPod software?

-Doc

Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
All the repair options in "first aid" tab are greyed out.... I can erase it... but can I then reinstall the iPod software?

-Doc

I can't be responsible for formatting the disk, sorry. But you need to make it recongnized by the OS first. I think disk formatting it and then factory resetting it by the iPod update software (be it 1.2.1 or whatever) is the way to go. As I understand that iPod update software can revert your pretty iPod back to the original state: it does install the original sofware on it.

It will make your iPod forget the wonderful years she's spent with ya, but if she's dying, do anything about it (mmmm, starting to sound like a cheap movie :D)

Yep. The apple page is worthless... I got all excited for nothing...

Damn...

-Doc

That Apple page looked real promissing, I must say.

And, if my Diskutility/Updater way do not work, I have no idea what else to recommend to you...

Oh and I'm taking off to an Apple repair shop in Tokyo now to get my whole scrachy TiBook body replaced for free on the spot! I'm happy as hell now.

Here is another one:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60957

Im going to see if I can reformat the biatch...

I'll let you know... thanks anyway man...

-Doc

I think what they mean by "formatting" here is the case of formatting by a Mac OS utility. So it says you can restore the diskutility-formatted iPod by the iPod Software Updater.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Coincidently I had this experience today for the first time during 3rd period class.

To get out of this, yes, it will require the iPod restore function from your 1.2.1 updater, and, yes, it may require some hefty trial and error.

(Make sure your iPod has charged up for at least 20 minutes before continuing.)

Using your links, Dr. Teeth, try holding down the center and play buttons while the CD and magnifying glass are displayed, then immediately press the left and right buttons beside the scroll wheel. You may have to do this with the iPod plugged in to your computer or an outlet, or unplugged, or stand alone.

At the same time, you want to have the software updater app open. The message should display "Plug in an iPod do update it", even though you have plugged in your iPod to your computer. This is normal, for now. When you can, hit the Restore button through the app when the iPod is registered on the desktop. Also, as a hint, look for the "Do Not Disconnect" message on the iPod.

(Those previous directions are extremely sketchy, but (A) I didn't record everything I did when trying to fix the iPod, and (B) you said, Dr. Teeth, you'd try anything. L:))

When you disconnect your iPod following the directions, the checkmark may still be present on the iPod. If so, make sure your iPod is temporarily disconnected, and quit the updater app. Then reopen the app and reconnect the iPod. The iPod should display the Apple logo and, eventually, a bar filling from left to right below that. You may have to perform an emergency restart on the iPod before you see the iPod being restored.

(If at any time you need to charge up the iPod because of possible battery life, do so via the Power Adapter for about 30 minutes. You're still going to have to complete the process, though.)

Once the bar has cleared, your iPod should work fine. Try removing it, transferring songs on it, etc. to confirm that.

NOTE: The previous data has not been officially confirmed and may not solve the problem. Also, your iPod may become very warm on the bottom. Do not worry about the heat given off.

Try it. The worst that's going to happen is your iPod will still do a scan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.