PDA

View Full Version : Angry God sent storms, mayor of New Orleans says

leekohler
Jan 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
Well- I really did want to think he was cool. I'll concede on this one. I was wrong. Nagin is a wacko.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0601170132jan17,1,217240.story?coll=chi-news-hed

aquajet
Jan 17, 2006, 12:13 PM
"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans--the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

Nagin described an imaginary conversation with King, the late civil rights leader.

"I said, `What is it going to take for us to move on and live your dream and make it a reality?'...

Yeah, I'm sure Dr. King would approve of reserving New Orleans for the "chocolate" folk.

blackfox
Jan 17, 2006, 12:23 PM
While I bristle at the references to what "God" and "MLK" apparently believe - I do think he has some good points.

It is true that the most heavily damaged areas were the poorer, mostly black neighborhoods (iirc), and there is a great potential for any rebuild to make that property too valuable for the same people to resettle.

I do also get his point about the unneccesary in-fighting and fracturization of the black community - politically and otherwise - and how that can only hurt their collective interests.

Shame the way he chose to package his insights - and the comments about Iraq seem totally unnecessary.

meh.

yellow
Jan 17, 2006, 12:28 PM
More proof that God actually hates Republicans and Christians. Die believers!! :mad:

XNine
Jan 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
More proof that God actually hates Republicans and Christians. Die believers!! :mad:

No, he jsut hates black people, because, you know, they caused the war in Iraq.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm with lee k. This mayor was awesome when he was yelling and ranting about the aid in the south, but now, he's just a black Pat Robertson. Next he'll be saying "WE SHOULD KILL THE PRESIDENT OF VENEZUELA! PLEASE DONATE YOUR MONEY, AND IF POSSIBLE YOUR BABIES TO EAT!!!!!"

yellow
Jan 17, 2006, 12:48 PM
No, he jsut hates black people, because, you know, they caused the war in Iraq.

Wait.. are we talking about god or george bush?

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 17, 2006, 12:49 PM
Its pretty sad that in the year 2006 we blame God for hurricanes,earthquakes,floods etc. Maybe we should blame global warming but George & Republican money lovers insists there is no such thing, just keep polluting and Pay no attention to the strongest hurricane season on record.:rolleyes:

njmac
Jan 17, 2006, 12:56 PM
While I bristle at the references to what "God" and "MLK" apparently believe - I do think he has some good points.

It is true that the most heavily damaged areas were the poorer, mostly black neighborhoods (iirc), and there is a great potential for any rebuild to make that property too valuable for the same people to resettle.

I do also get his point about the unneccesary in-fighting and fracturization of the black community - politically and otherwise - and how that can only hurt their collective interests.

Shame the way he chose to package his insights - and the comments about Iraq seem totally unnecessary.

meh.

I agree completely.

He does make some points and Bill Cosby has also been on a crusade (http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200407/SPE20040702a.html) to get black people to stop hurting each other.

Now, Nagin goes and sounds all whacko when he could have really rallied his people, just like Bill Cosby has alienated the black people by telling them to stop naming their children made up names and stop blaming the white people.

leekohler
Jan 17, 2006, 01:06 PM

meh.

Sorry- I could care less about your good points when you're nuts.

mlw1235
Jan 17, 2006, 01:17 PM
You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans.

*cringes at poor grammar*

As far as I care, Mr. Nagin is fresh out of any credibility at this point.

Anyone else think it is ironic that a "black unifaction" statement is released on a day that they celebrate a leader of the movement towards their civil rights?

Ray Nagin, you may now hit yourself on the forehead and say "Duh!"

njmac
Jan 17, 2006, 01:21 PM

Someone who is not nuts then should take up the cause. The black people in this nation need another Martin Luther King Jr. Someone to empower the poorest people in the poorest neighborhoods (black or white) to stop the blame game, stop hurting each other and to make something of themselves.

aquajet
Jan 17, 2006, 01:24 PM
Someone who is not nuts then should take up the cause. The black people in this nation need another Martin Luther King Jr. Someone to empower the poorest people in the poorest neighborhoods (black or white) to stop the blame game, stop hurting each other and to make something of themselves.

We could all use another Martin Luther King Jr.

blackfox
Jan 17, 2006, 01:29 PM
Point taken.

I have to wonder, however, if these seemingly bizarre statements are somehow designed for a specific audience or purpose.

Offhand, I do not know the religious or political orientation of the larger voting blocks of NO - but perhaps this may have appealed to some.

Or perhaps it was designed merely to get attention on NO once again.

I would think that you'd have to be fairly clever and/or shrewd to make it in an environment like Louisiana politics.

Or the hard months have finally made Nagin crack...

Just trying to make sense of it all, I guess...

iSaint
Jan 17, 2006, 01:51 PM
Mayor Naglin, let me introduce you to Pat Robertson. Oh, wait, you've already been to the same brainwashing clinic!

solvs
Jan 17, 2006, 01:57 PM
Perhaps he should have rephrased those statements. Ah well, I'm sure the neocons will jump all over it. And people will forget that just because he's a nutjob, that doesn't make Bush any less incompetant.

Hopefully, come next election, they'll both have better people replacing them.

mactastic
Jan 17, 2006, 09:33 PM
Personally I blame Ray Nagin for Pat Robertson.

While I don't think Nagin meant it exactly the way it came out, seriously... have some Creole seasoning with your other foot.

Daveway
Jan 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
There is outrage here in New Orleans area because of what Nagin said yesterday. I was a supporter of him and his reform, but this was too much. I was watching his address live when he stated, "God told me New Orleans will be a chocolate city and that's how He wants it."
I was rollling on the floor.
Then he came back with apologies of somekind involving "mixing chocolate and milk and you still get chocolate."
I listened to the local radio station with all the pissed people calling in later and he's not on good terms. "If Nagin is a fortune teller, then ask him to tell us when we'll get our FEMA trailer."

He apologized once again a few minutes ago on the 10pm news.:rolleyes:

Thomas Veil
Jan 17, 2006, 09:55 PM
I winced when I heard Nagin say that.

When are we gonna stop blaming a supposedly pissed-off God for everything?

2nyRiggz
Jan 17, 2006, 09:57 PM
What the hell is up with the "chocolate people" crap? his mother is so proud.

Bless

Daveway
Jan 17, 2006, 10:00 PM
What the hell is up with the "chocolate people" crap? his mother is so proud.

Bless

It was VERY awkward, considering there was a white man standing in back of him!

It was just in recent years that the black population has come close to the whites. If you said this thirty years ago, people would have pulled a Rosa Parks on him.

2nyRiggz
Jan 17, 2006, 10:06 PM
I hope they dont pull a KKK on him. I know the white guy behind him did a Mike Mayers double take.

Bless

Daveway
Jan 17, 2006, 11:08 PM
Mayor Nagin.....
http://www.myelixr.com/dump/tyrone.gif

JesseJames
Jan 18, 2006, 11:26 AM
I thought it was pretty funny.
I don't know his background but it seems to me that he let the "bro' man" part of him peek through.
When you are in a position like he is, you have to remember that you are
to a certain degree, a figurehead as well as a leader.
He made himself look like a buffoon. No way around it.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 18, 2006, 12:10 PM
The Mayor didnt help things with his chocolate new orleans remark. This guy had no clue of what to do before the hurricane. He is as much to blame for the lack of planning as the governor and the federal govt. Kick them all out is the answer. Blaming God for the hurricane and chocolate new orleans remark is enough reason to give him the boot.

pseudobrit
Jan 18, 2006, 12:16 PM
This is a new tactic by the mayor in his efforts to rebuild the city.

Nagin has resorted to speaking in Robertsonese in a desperate attempt to get George Bush and the neocons running the White House to listen to him.

JDar
Jan 18, 2006, 12:19 PM
Perhaps an angry god sent the mayor, perhaps many politicians.

quigleybc
Jan 18, 2006, 07:34 PM
Dude is a nut case..

Chocolate, when you mix dark chocolate and white milk you get:

"a delicious drink...."

man that made me laugh sooo hard...

I could hear that quote a million times and still crack up...

iGary
Jan 18, 2006, 07:58 PM
What does he have to lose? He's not getting re-elected...

PlaceofDis
Jan 18, 2006, 08:13 PM
wow. some people are more clueless tham i thought possible, espically in his sort of position.

Thomas Veil
Jan 18, 2006, 09:29 PM
What the hell is up with the "chocolate people" crap?He tried to explain it later. He said you make chocolate by mixing dark chocolate and white milk.

Even if one gives him the benefit of the doubt and interprets it to mean that he was describing a biracial effort to rebuild NO, it was clumsy in the extreme.

And if you don't believe his explanation, then it was just racist.

solvs
Jan 18, 2006, 10:19 PM
I know the white guy behind him did a Mike Mayers double take.
OMG, Ray Nagin hates white people! It all makes sense now! :p What do you want to bet they make fun of him on SNL.

xsedrinam
Jan 18, 2006, 10:30 PM
OMG, Ray Nagin hates white people! It all makes sense now! :p What do you want to bet they make fun of him on SNL.
Ya, look for a Nestlé chocolate spoof. That'd be a good one. :)

pseudobrit
Jan 19, 2006, 07:21 AM
Perhaps he was trying to lure Hershey Foods away from... um, Hershey.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 19, 2006, 02:24 PM
I wonder if that chocolate mayor realizes that New Orleans started out Vanilla, thats french vanilla.:eek: Racist on both sides suck and you can tell he is one. He should resign after his poor poor Katrina planning.

solvs
Jan 20, 2006, 01:52 AM
Racist on both sides suck and you can tell he is one.
Maybe not racist, but definitely has foot-in-mouth disorder. Like Howard Dean, only, you know, less good. Don't think you need to worry about him resigning though, I doubt he'll be reelected anyway unless his opponent is deplorable. Which could happen. Look at the '04 elections.

crdean1
Jan 20, 2006, 09:29 AM
I wonder if that chocolate mayor realizes that New Orleans started out Vanilla, thats french vanilla.:eek: Racist on both sides suck and you can tell he is one. He should resign after his poor poor Katrina planning.

Yeah, I completely agree. He has been mostly part of the problem, not any part of the solution. His preparedness plan was way out of wack. I can understand to some degree being un(der)-prepared for a Katrina (who is completely prepared for a storm like that), but his leadership in these circumstances has been akwardly poor at best.

Dale Sorel
Jan 20, 2006, 10:30 AM
We could all use another Martin Luther King Jr.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

pseudobrit
Jan 20, 2006, 06:49 PM
New Orleans started out Vanilla, thats french vanilla.

priceless

mactastic
Jan 21, 2006, 12:18 PM
No, that's Freedom Vanilla you traitorous pig-dogs!

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time...

:p