PDA

View Full Version : replacing 12'' powerbook hard drive

breathein
Jan 17, 2006, 03:48 PM
So after disputing with apple over a 900 DOLLAR FEE!!!!! to replace the damned hard drive, I have taken matters into my own hands. This is the first laptop I have ever owned, so naturally I do not know much about the hard drives.

Does brand/ms response/rpm matter much? I know that I will only buy a 7200 RPM drive for my desktop, but it gets significantly more expensive to buy a 7200 RPM drive for the notebook. Will that generate more heat in the already warm computer? Should I consider the 4,000RPM drive? The 5,400 rpm drive seems to fit my budget, however I have never used a computer knowingly with a 5400RPM drive.

Does brand matter? I need to replace my hard drive ASAP and I think I will do so at TigerDirect.com

This computer will primarily be used for Cubase recording and Photoshop. Other than that, no significant hardware potential will be used up

Love,
Eric

California
Jan 17, 2006, 03:53 PM
So after disputing with apple over a 900 DOLLAR FEE!!!!! to replace the damned hard drive, I have taken matters into my own hands. This is the first laptop I have ever owned, so naturally I do not know much about the hard drives.

Does brand/ms response/rpm matter much? I know that I will only buy a 7200 RPM drive for my desktop, but it gets significantly more expensive to buy a 7200 RPM drive for the notebook. Will that generate more heat in the already warm computer? Should I consider the 4,000RPM drive? The 5,400 rpm drive seems to fit my budget, however I have never used a computer knowingly with a 5400RPM drive.

Does brand matter? I need to replace my hard drive ASAP and I think I will do so at TigerDirect.co

This computer will primarily be used for Cubase recording and Photoshop. Other than that, no significant hardware potential will be used up

Love,
Eric

You have not given any information on the powerbook or why you would be charged almost a thousand dollars to replace a hard drive on a machine that is under warranty. Or is it. Have no idea what happened or what you are asking.

If it is a pb that is not under warranty, a new drive is under 200 bucks and any certified apple tech can surely install for less than 100 bucks.

And this is a price ceiling. If it were me, I'd do it myself or try and shop to get a really really good deal on a hard drive. And, depending on price and brand and cache, I'd get either a 5400rpm or 7200 drive. never a 4200. Too slow.

So, be specific, as I'm just pontificating at this point.

breathein
Jan 17, 2006, 03:56 PM
You have not given any information on the powerbook or why you would be charged almost a thousand dollars to replace a hard drive on a machine that is under warranty. Or is it. Have no idea what happened or what you are asking.

If it is a pb that is not under warranty, a new drive is under 200 bucks and any certified apple tech can surely install for less than 100 bucks.

And this is a price ceiling. If it were me, I'd do it myself or try and shop to get a really really good deal on a hard drive.

So, be specific, as I'm just pontificating at this point.

I just added the computer to my signature.

I took this computer to the apple store because the hard drive made a loud noise and no longer spins. The genius told me that despite the physical damage near the powersupply that Apple would take care of the repairs under applecare. However, when this computer was sent to applecare (SAME COMPANY) they said that the physical damage made the warranty void. I don't care to stress out about this obviously wrong position that apple has put me into. Everyday I learn about how horrible their customer service is and I will be sure to make anyone I know aware of this.

So, as my post asked before - what is the optimal hard drive to get around 60gb that is in a reasonable price range. Should I consider the 4500rpm drive, 5400, 7200? is there much of a difference between 5400/7200? Is there greater heat production at the higher revolutions per minute?? Should I consider brand or lag time as a deciding factor in purchasing? I am a student and therefore I am on a budget, so I hope that some of you can offer good advice.

Thanks

California
Jan 17, 2006, 04:11 PM
I just added the computer to my signature.

I took this computer to the apple store because the hard drive made a loud noise and no longer spins. The genius told me that despite the physical damage near the powersupply that Apple would take care of the repairs under applecare. However, when this computer was sent to applecare (SAME COMPANY) they said that the physical damage made the warranty void. I don't care to stress out about this obviously wrong position that apple has put me into. Everyday I learn about how horrible their customer service is and I will be sure to make anyone I know aware of this.

So, as my post asked before - what is the optimal hard drive to get around 60gb that is in a reasonable price range. Should I consider the 4500rpm drive, 5400, 7200? is there much of a difference between 5400/7200? Is there greater heat production at the higher revolutions per minute?? Should I consider brand or lag time as a deciding factor in purchasing? I am a student and therefore I am on a budget, so I hope that some of you can offer good advice.

Thanks

So, to summarize, Apple is denying warranty because you have physical damage to the laptop?

We could have told you that. Do you honestly think it is not related to the damage to your machine? I'll tell you that I had a 14" iBook 1.33ghz a few months ago and all I did was slightly let go of it in the laptop bag for a drop of maybe one foot, and the hard drive froze up on me for several scary minutes when I was back east on job.

It worked again but I sold that almost new machine and got a new iBook with the motion sensor that locks up the hard drive in case of a drop.

yes, it sucks, but hard drives are delicate and if you have physical damage to the machine with no prior hard drive issues, Apple might very well be within their rights to deny coverage.

So, if you are a student and there is an apple store at your school, get a discounted apple tech rate and have the hard drive replaced. no biggie. I think the edu rate for techs is thirty five an hour.

And do your homework to find the best hd at the best $ -- but don't get a Fujistu drive. Get a Toshiba or Hitachi. Lately, I've been loving the 5400 rpm TOshibas with the 16mb cache -- makes 'em faster than the 7200rpm Hitachis with 8mb cache at times.