Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Hi, I am using SQL Server Enterprise Manager on VPC 7 to administer some of our customers databases and to design new ones.

We are moving over to a MacBook Pro and don't want to wait for VPC 8 - If it ever arrives!

Does any developer hear know of a replacement for Enterprise manager that runs on mac (PPC or INTEL)? I've seen some SQL management programs, but they are either for MySQL or don't allow the query design functions of enterprise manager.

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
Hi - I'm not sure whether or not a Mac tool exists for MS SQL Server... clearly there are plenty of Enterprise Manager-like tools for MySQL - Navicat probably being the best commercial one.

Part of the problem is support for the TDS (Tabular Data Stream) protocol that MS SQL Server uses internally. Microsoft only provide an implementation of this on Windows, although an open source version called FreeTDS (http://www.freetds.org) also exists. This is popular when Unix apps need to talk to SQL Server - for example when a PHP / Apache application on Linux needs to get data from a SQL Server database. As far as I know, it should compile and run OK on OS X.

As for a management client, you could look at Aqua Data Studio from Aquafold (http://www.aquafold.com). This supports multiple DBMSs within a single management interface, but I'm not sure whether you will be able to connect to a Microsoft database from the OS X version...

Hope this is of some help.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
If you are working witn MS enterprise products you should really consider using a PC...or sticking to VPC7 for now... sometimes you really can have it both ways :(

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
javiercr said:
If you are working witn MS enterprise products you should really consider using a PC...or sticking to VPC7 for now... sometimes you really can have it both ways :(

yeah, don't make it hard on yourself...

you might have some luck of sourceforge.net to find what you want though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.