Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
I have a friend that wants an iBook. I was going to recommend that she wait for the Intel iBooks or MacBook, or Whatever dumb name Apple will give. I think it will probably be out in the next 6 months. I wanted to get some other peoples opinions on when they think it will be released and if she should wait.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I wouldn't be surprised to see one within 6 months. I'm in the market for an iBook too. I'm trying to hold out for the Intel ones though. If they REALLY need it now I'd go for a refurbished iBook. $799 for the 12" and $1049 for the 14" model isn't that bad.

geekologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
Price

Eidorian said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see one within 6 months. I'm in the market for an iBook too. I'm trying to hold out for the Intel ones though. If they REALLY need it now I'd go for a refurbished iBook. $799 for the 12" and $1049 for the 14" model isn't that bad.

I am not sure how much she needs it. She doesn't have a computer at home right now. She uses Macs where she works. Price is an issue with her, and so I thought the Intel iBooks might be cheaper and will be a lot faster. Mor bang for her buck. If she does decide to get one now then a refurbished might be good. Has anyone ever had experiences with certified refurbished Apple Laptops?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I personally think the Intel iBooks will be out in the 2nd quarter because that's then the Core Solos will become available. So, maybe in early April (announced) and shipping by late April/early May.

I'm anxiously waiting to see if Steve will do anything special for Apple's 30th Anniversary.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Depends...

Depends on a few things, as I'm sure others here will say too. If she needs the computer now, and she's just using it as a general purpose computer (Internet, iTunes, Word Processing, etc.), which I'm assuming she will be because she's looking at the iBook, there really isn't anything wrong with getting it now. If she has the time to wait, I'd suggest waiting to see what comes out. If the new iBooks (or whatever they'll be called) are at a similar price point, I'd get one of those. Basically, if the iBook will do whatever she needs it to do now, it'll do whatever she needs it to do in a couple of years too, but I'd still rather wait and get the newer model if possible.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
sw1tcher said:
I personally think the Intel iBooks will be out in the 2nd quarter because that's then the Core Solos will become available. So, maybe in early April (announced) and shipping by late April/early May.

I'm anxiously waiting to see if Steve will do anything special for Apple's 30th Anniversary.
Apple is really working the high end with the MacBook Pro. I have some users at work who took the 10% restock fee just to get one.

I'm just holding out for a consumer/education laptop. If they can deliver Dual Core on the high end model. Like say Dual Core 1.6 Ghz and X1300 w/64 MB of video RAM I'll be all over it.

geekologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
sw1tcher said:

Ahhh. The Core Solos come out 2nd quarter. That slipped my mind. Apple might put a Core Duo in the "14 iBook though. It is more likely that they will not be the Core Duos though. As for Steve Jobs doing something special, I am thinking PVR funtionality to Front Row. There was also a rumor a while back about Apple Plasmas.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
I was thinking of waiting too. But I ended up picking a used 14' for 900 bucks. So I went a head and got it. However money is a big issue for me. The other thing I thought about was a Rev A iBook. I normally wait till they work the kinks out. So I would have been waiting a while possibly. So I just got one that I knew would do everything I needed.

geekologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
Widescreen

baboo2 said:
I agree, it's smarter to wait for the Intel ibook since it will be updated with a widescreen LCD

You think they will be widescreen? I havn't heard any rumors on that. It does make sense though.

baboo2

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
Well even if there was no widescreen ( though I think chances are they will), it will have some sort of physical update as the ibook has gone through the same look for a while

geekologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
New Look

baboo2 said:
Well even if there was no widescreen ( though I think chances are they will), it will have some sort of physical update as the ibook has gone through the same look for a while

There was a rumor a while back about a new iBook with a black finish. Not to mention the classic rumor of a chrome iBook. I dought they would do chrome. They want that to be for there pro laptops only.

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
I think it is pretty much a given the case design will change in some way. Look at what they did with the powerbook to macbook to give you some clues.

My bets is that it will be thinner
Maybe white and black available just like ipods
I also think they might add in the magsafe thingy to the ibook/macbook as well in the next revision

geekologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
revfife said:
I think it is pretty much a given the case design will change in some way. Look at what they did with the powerbook to macbook to give you some clues.

My bets is that it will be thinner
Maybe white and black available just like ipods
I also think they might add in the magsafe thingy to the ibook/macbook as well in the next revision

Yes. It will probably be thinner. The Magsafe connector is a given. Why would they not want to put the Magasfe on it? I also hope the screen might have a better resolution. I can't stand the glare on the iBooks screen now.

rokurota

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
One small thing strikes me - if someones after a 12" iBook, the chances are they want something small and highly portable (assuming that it's not just a really tight budget)

If the rumours are correct, the new iBook is gonna be widescreen and therefore perhaps (i would hope) bigger, and slightly less slip-in-a-bag-able, if you know what I mean. I'm personally going for a current model 12" for that exact reason. I got a 17" widescreen PC laptop which is so huge and heavy, it's sooooo unpractical on the road. The 12" iBook appeals as a super-dooper PDA if you will. I know what it does, and that just fine for a tiny personal computer

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
rokurota said:
One small thing strikes me - if someones after a 12" iBook, the chances are they want something small and highly portable (assuming that it's not just a really tight budget)

If the rumours are correct, the new iBook is gonna be widescreen and therefore perhaps (i would hope) bigger, and slightly less slip-in-a-bag-able, if you know what I mean. I'm personally going for a current model 12" for that exact reason. I got a 17" widescreen PC laptop which is so huge and heavy, it's sooooo unpractical on the road. The 12" iBook appeals as a super-dooper PDA if you will. I know what it does, and that just fine for a tiny personal computer
12.1" widescreen is a sweet spot for laptops right now. Portable and a bit more screen real estate. 1280 x 800 pixels of love.

myshoeshurt

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
It's been rumored that the new iBooks will use a new 13" widescreen. MagSafe connector is definately a given. I'm still holding my iBook-bucks for when the new one comes out... a black finish would be so awesome.

Goliath

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2004
I know something better and faster is always just round the corner and you could keep on waiting for the next best thing, but this isn't merely just a speed bump, a better graphics card etc., It's a whole new architecture and I for one am excited where that may take Apple!

I'm waiting for the new Intel iBooks- newer tech and not that far away (hopefully!!!)

Goliath

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2004
T-Stex said:
.... Basically, if the iBook will do whatever she needs it to do now, it'll do whatever she needs it to do in a couple of years too, but I'd still rather wait and get the newer model if possible.

Sorry for the double post but...

I had the same dilema a few years back buying the iMac- To wait for the update for USB2 hopefully, or get it right now. Figured what the heck! Nothing available for it...got Firewire etc... Now I wish I'd waited just that little bit longer!

Well that's life!

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
I also think they will do away with the larger model ibook, so if she wants the 14 I would say go ahead and get it. Just like when they first intro the current ibook they started with the smaller screen. They will probably put out a 12 or 13 widescreen model intel selling alongside the 12 and 14 G4s as is the current situation with the MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.