PDA

View Full Version : i hope the iBook looks as good as this.....

d.f
Jan 17, 2006, 05:01 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/17/sonys-new-vaio-tx2-ultra-portable/

2.7 pounds, Dual Layer DVD burner, 11.1 inch screen - Pentium M.

as we're hardly going to get a Core Duo in the new iBook, i'd be happy for the above specs and OSX.

mojohanna
Jan 17, 2006, 05:08 PM

as we're hardly going to get a Core Duo in the new iBook, i'd be happy for the above specs and OSX.
Not gonna get an ibook that light (almost as light if not lighter than the macbook) at the ibook price points. My guess is that the body doesn't change and most specs will remain same. super drive is standard and video gets upgraded along with proc speeds. Probably not dual core.

mad jew
Jan 17, 2006, 05:13 PM
Not gonna get an iBook that ugly, sorry. Apple has a strong reputation for aesthetically pleasing machines that they must uphold. :o

Ashapalan
Jan 17, 2006, 05:16 PM
are the vio's the ones that start thin and get progressivly thicker after that?

Hows that work on the flat?

mad jew
Jan 17, 2006, 05:17 PM
are the vio's the ones that start thin and get progressivly thicker after that?

Like a wife? :confused:

MacTruck
Jan 17, 2006, 05:29 PM

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

geekologist
Jan 17, 2006, 05:46 PM
It will probably be a Core Solo. As for size, they are not going to be that small and light. They will most likely have a CD burner. The MacBook Pro doesn't even have a dual layer burner. It only single, and it is only 4X instead of the old 8X.

Jay42
Jan 17, 2006, 05:50 PM
I think the current iBooks look better than that.

I would make some analogy between apple/sony and some prestigious auto makers, but I dont want to jack the thread. :p

azzurri000
Jan 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
I think the current iBooks look better than that.

I would make some analogy between apple/sony and some prestigious auto makers, but I dont want to jack the thread. :p

its weight IS pretty appealing though

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jan 17, 2006, 06:57 PM
I like the ad at the top of the link....

OldCorpse
Jan 17, 2006, 07:46 PM
Bleh... 11.1" screen... I understand wanting to make it portable, but not at the cost of screen space... otherwise, why not a pda? I'm not in the market for a pda. I think 12." is kind of a minimum, and 13" sounds sweet if they can keep from losing vertical lines (for word processing, height is more important than width). Take the current 12" iBook... there is quite a bit of a "thick" border of plastic frame around the display... I think it's probably doable to thin that out a bit in favor of a larger screen (the 12" PB, thinned it out, but that was in order to get the whole thing smaller, not the screen larger). Personally, for my uses (lot of word processing), the current 12" size of screen is the minimum, so the 11.1 Vaio doesn't do it for me.

It's nice that the Vaio is so light, but again ask at what cost - if at the cost of the screen, that's a no go. There was an interview with Steve Jobs in Newsweek, right after MWSF, and Steve said that they kept the same form factor on the iMac and MacBook, because they think it's optimal, and can't think of any way to improve it.... seems to me, it's very likely that you'll see the same with the iBook - unless they really do come out with the 13" widescreen iBook. Sure, I think they can make a DVD burner standard in the 12" iBook, make it faster with a better bus, but I honestly don't anticipate being blown away by how much better the new intel iBook will be compared to the current 12". As for the Vaio, color me unimpressed.

i4k20c
Jan 17, 2006, 07:52 PM
Alrite come on guys, i know we all love apple, but you have to give sony props here.. 11inch screen is way to small for me, but for ultimate portability, you can not tell me the size everything is fit in, the design, the weight, isn't impressive! :rolleyes:

granted i do think the 12inch ibook/powerook look nicer, in terms of weight and casing (w.e. metal they used) it looks 98% better than all windows lappy's.. and not that far from apple's great designs..

mkrishnan
Jan 17, 2006, 08:12 PM
I'd really like to see Apple get down to no more than 3.5 pounds. But there's no way I want to see a tray-loading optical drive.

mojohanna
Jan 17, 2006, 08:37 PM
HA!! Nice....:D

jholzner
Jan 17, 2006, 08:55 PM

I doubt the iBook will get those specs and looks but I wouldn't doubt that we may see the new 12" Powerbook looking similar...brushed aluminium though.

mjstew33
Jan 17, 2006, 08:58 PM
I doubt the iBook will get those specs and looks but I wouldn't doubt that we may see the new 12" Powerbook looking similar...brushed aluminium though.
Who says there is going to be a 12" PowerBook?

rt_brained
Jan 17, 2006, 08:59 PM
That's the ugliest computer I've ever seen! Not a single Intel, Windows or "ISO Certified" sticker on it. How cheap is that?

Val-kyrie
Jan 17, 2006, 10:16 PM

I would just like an LED screen and this battery life of 4 to 7.5 hours.

buryyourbrideau
Jan 17, 2006, 10:44 PM
Who says there is going to be a 12" PowerBook?
I believe I recall seeing somewhere that the entire line was going to be renamed and go intel. Not just a 15in model

devilot
Jan 17, 2006, 11:19 PM
Like a wife? :confused:Psh. At least they start off thin... men are chubby and get progressively disgusting.

yippy
Jan 17, 2006, 11:39 PM
Nice screen and battery life. But not a lot of bang for the buck. You pay for that size in a big way and it isn't even any thinner than the MacBook Pro, the back end is actually thicker (but the front edge is thinner).

I have seen laptops like this, they are the ultimate in portability and are nice and impressive, but lack umph.

QCassidy352
Jan 18, 2006, 12:05 AM
Alrite come on guys, i know we all love apple, but you have to give sony props here.. 11inch screen is way to small for me, but for ultimate portability, you can not tell me the size everything is fit in, the design, the weight, isn't impressive! :rolleyes:

granted i do think the 12inch ibook/powerook look nicer, in terms of weight and casing (w.e. metal they used) it looks 98% better than all windows lappy's.. and not that far from apple's great designs..

Agreed on all counts.

Come on - 2.7 pounds (half a macbook!!) and 7.5 hours battery? That's very very impressive.

Psh. At least they start off thin... men are chubby and get progressively disgusting.

Touché.

(Not this man of course... I'm lean and mean. But also taken, so you're out of luck. ;) :p ;) )

Morn
Jan 18, 2006, 04:12 AM
Meh? The ibook already looks better than that.:rolleyes: Vaio's designs aren't really all that. Too conservative. Sony should give their designers more freedom, encourage them to take risks. They seem to have talent, it being one of the best looking wintel laptops.
But I must say, still it sets the standard for an 11" laptop currently, I want an ibook in a similar size. With a similar battery life! Really give me an apple version of this with an Ives design and it'll rock.

Deepdale
Jan 18, 2006, 04:18 AM
Psh. At least they start off thin... men are chubby and get progressively disgusting.

Fine example of turnabout fair play ... good for you! :)

BTW: I do not think that Sony Vaio is as ugly as some have claimed. I realize it may never happen, but I would love one in a slate gray color.