Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi,

So I have a 300GB external hard drive that I used to use w/ Time Machine back on my old MacBook Pro. This was used as a Time Machine computer, and also the occasional folders of pictures thrown into the external hard drive when connected to other Macs.

Ive just gotten a new MacBook Pro, set it up by restoring with the same external hard drive that has my Time Machine back up and it all set up perfectly...

However, the issue to which I write this thread today is that aside from Disk Utility, this external hard drive cannot be shown anywhere on my MacBook. Not when connecting it or even disconnecting it.

The reason I'm wanting it to show up is because aside from my Time Machine backups on this external hard drive, I have about 2 folders of photos from my recent vacations and these photos don't exist anywhere else. Fortunately this external hard drive has all these files,but the issue comes in having my MacBook display the hard drive (aside from Disk Utility) and trust me, after doing so i'll back up all my vacation photos to my Flickr and elsewhere.

Though this external hard drive shows up in disk utility, i'm not given the option to repair or verify the disk. Any help is super appreciated.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
It shows up in Disk Utility, but I can only attempt to Verify/Repair at the top level, as pictured in the top left pane.

I desperately need the folders on the hard drive that contain my gigs of vacation photos, located outside the Time Machine .backup

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 4.00.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 4.00.02 PM.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.