Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
The only time I have done a clean install (late 2011 MBP originally had Lion on it) was right after I purchased the machine and attempted to use rEFIT to allow dual booting with Ubuntu which was not successful.

In the ensuing 3 years, the machine has gone from Lion to Mavericks without problems- I also installed the Beta seed for 3 and I update frequently. However in the past couple of months I have noticed a slowdown and think now might be a good time to wipe the drive and reinstall 10.9.3.

From my UNIX and Linux experience pretty much everything specific to the user is in /home. I am assuming this is true with Mavericks. What I anticipate is wiping, reinstallation and then restoring from Time Machine. Question is- am I better to install all the apps from scratch rather than restoring from Time Machine? I am asking this since I have never had the need to use Time Machine for a restore. I also am assuming that the really important things like the mailboxes (I use firefox and PGP) , keys and so forth will be restored as well.

I did a search here and didn't find what I was looking for so thats the reason for asking.

Regards and thanks

Expat

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Here is the thing... if you "restore" from Time Machine that puts back all the cruft you are trying to get rid of and defeats the purpose of a clean install.

A true clean install is an erase of the disk followed by the OS install, then a manual reinstall of all apps and data.

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
Weaselboy

I thought this might be the case but was not entirely sure- thanks for the confirmation.

I appreciate the kind reply and the interest. I was beginning to think my question would drift off the first page and away into obscurity..........

Regards

Expat

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy

I thought this might be the case but was not entirely sure- thanks for the confirmation.

I appreciate the kind reply and the interest. I was beginning to think my question would drift off the first page and away into obscurity..........

Regards

Expat

Heh... yeah with all the iOS8 and Yosemite talk recently, everything else has kind of gotten buried. :)

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
Ype I ve noticed that. I elected not to participate in this release of Yosemite. Will see what the future brings. Since I am traveling this is my only machine...... I did the beta of 10.9.3 - the seed program. That went well but this early a version I don't feel like risking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.