PDA

View Full Version : DVI to ADC adapter and Powerbook not working

mikepenn
Jan 17, 2006, 09:37 PM
I just bought a DVI to ADC adapter for my 23" Cinema display and 1.5ghz 15" powerbook. For some reason the 23" screen stays black. The monitor shows up in display preference but still doesn't work. I hooked it up to my G5 and it works fine. Any idea what's wrong ?

wnameth
Jan 17, 2006, 09:49 PM
I just bought a DVI to ADC adapter for my 23" Cinema display and 1.5ghz 15" powerbook. For some reason the 23" screen stays black. The monitor shows up in display preference but still doesn't work. I hooked it up to my G5 and it works fine. Any idea what's wrong ?
try testing another monitor with your powerbook, if it works (like a 17" or 15") if it works, then your powerbook may not be able to drive a 23" display, or you might have a bad mini DVI port.. i dunno, kinda weird that it shows up in system prefs....

mikepenn
Jan 17, 2006, 10:12 PM
try testing another monitor with your powerbook, if it works (like a 17" or 15") if it works, then your powerbook may not be able to drive a 23" display, or you might have a bad mini DVI port.. i dunno, kinda weird that it shows up in system prefs....

I hooked up my tv using a dvi to rca/svideo adapter and it didn't work either. So I guess I have a bad dvi port, can they be fixed?

Counterfit
Jan 17, 2006, 10:36 PM
1) All PowerBooks with DVI (especially 1.5Ghz ones) can drive an Apple 23" display
2) 15" PowerBooks have regular DVI ports.
3) I concur with using another monitor to double check the hardware. Also, make sure after you plug in the monitor to the PB, hit the "Detect Displays" button (F7).

mikepenn
Jan 17, 2006, 11:22 PM
1) All PowerBooks with DVI (especially 1.5Ghz ones) can drive an Apple 23" display
2) 15" PowerBooks have regular DVI ports.
3) I concur with using another monitor to double check the hardware. Also, make sure after you plug in the monitor to the PB, hit the "Detect Displays" button (F7).

The only other monitor I have is a 30" so that's not going to work.
I also ran the hardware test and everything passed
I have pressed the F7 key and the Powerbooks screen fades then comes back on and nothing happens on the 23"