Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've bought a few games lately and have been using an older Logitech USB controller. I'm thinking of upgrading and while I know the PS3 will work with Mac I'm wondering if the PS4 controller will work also. I've done some searching and nothing concrete like the PS3.

I wouldn't mind getting a PS3 one but thought I'd get the latest and greatest if I'm going to be spending the money.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
No more delay than what you get on the Playstation or XBox using wireless pads, so nothing noticeable. A few thousands of a second slower at most than wired pads (again same as consoles).

Edwin

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
About to pickup my first gamepad for my Mac and am debating between the PS3 and the PS4 controller. Does the PS4 controller add any more functionality (such as the touchpad) when used on a Mac vs the PS3 controller? Or is it pretty much the same?

If so, I'd go for the less expensive PS3 controller.

schopaia

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
Sort of! I just got one yesterday and downloaded half of my long dormant steam library overnight. Out of the 5 or 6 games I tried so far, Fez worked, Limbo - nothing, Half Life Ep. 2 - nothing. So, basically just as frustrating as last generation with xbox 360 and ps3 controllers. Overall I'm pretty amazed this hasn't been sorted out yet, since so many games now are console ports and are basically unplayable without a controller.

Also note that I've only tried it wirelessly since I'm waiting for a cable (foolishly assumed sony would be so kind to include one with a $60 device) and I've read that some games will work only when connected with a cable - maybe someone can confirm this - but I have no idea why that would matter.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Sort of! I just got one yesterday and downloaded half of my long dormant steam library overnight. Out of the 5 or 6 games I tried so far, Fez worked, Limbo - nothing, Half Life Ep. 2 - nothing. So, basically just as frustrating as last generation with xbox 360 and ps3 controllers. Overall I'm pretty amazed this hasn't been sorted out yet, since so many games now are console ports and are basically unplayable without a controller.

Also note that I've only tried it wirelessly since I'm waiting for a cable (foolishly assumed sony would be so kind to include one with a $60 device) and I've read that some games will work only when connected with a cable - maybe someone can confirm this - but I have no idea why that would matter.

Pad support is application dependant and isn't related to Steam support.

FYI PS3 pad works on all Feral games that support gamepads.

PS4 pad works on almost all Feral games, some older ones you might need to ask support for a PS4 plugin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.