Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Fired up Xcode 6 for the first time and excitedly opened a new playground, and I crashed it within 60 seconds by changing the "var" statement in a template to a "let" statement and then back to a "var".

Whoops.

It kind of reminds me of when I learned that the weight limit for those swings you can buy at Toys R Us is 80 pounds.

Edit:

And I did it again. It lasted about 3 minutes before simply crashing on me. I can't tell what it is that I'm doing that causes it to crash, although I must say I can crash it swiftly. It looks fairly promising, I just wish it would let me play with it longer before it collapses under its own weight.

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Mine crashed a fair amount in the playground also. So much that I gave up and just went back to learning Objective-C. I'll wait until it's out of beta.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
To those saying you haven't had it crash, try typing this in:

Code:
var a = 1
var b = 2
(a, b) = (b, a)

I'm not sure whether that should or should not work, but it's the shortest way I know of swapping variables in languages like Python, so I wanted to see if it would work in Swift. I've managed to crash Xcode 3 times in a row by typing variants of that.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
To those saying you haven't had it crash, try typing this in:

Code:
var a = 1
var b = 2
(a, b) = (b, a)

I'm not sure whether that should or should not work, but it's the shortest way I know of swapping variables in languages like Python, so I wanted to see if it would work in Swift. I've managed to crash Xcode 3 times in a row by typing variants of that.

As soon as I type the close paren on the first (a,b), Xcode crashes. Did it multiple times in a row, tried rebooting and running again, but error at same spot. This was in 10.9.3 on a non admin account.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
As soon as I type the close paren on the first (a,b), Xcode crashes. Did it multiple times in a row, tried rebooting and running again, but error at same spot. This was in 10.9.3 on a non admin account.

Same thing happens to me. It won't even let me finish the a before crashing.

Code:
var a = 1
var b = 2

let total = a + 0
let summary = "\(total)"

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Fired up Xcode 6 for the first time and excitedly opened a new playground, and I crashed it within 60 seconds by changing the "var" statement in a template to a "let" statement and then back to a "var".

Whoops.

It kind of reminds me of when I learned that the weight limit for those swings you can buy at Toys R Us is 80 pounds.

Edit:

And I did it again. It lasted about 3 minutes before simply crashing on me. I can't tell what it is that I'm doing that causes it to crash, although I must say I can crash it swiftly. It looks fairly promising, I just wish it would let me play with it longer before it collapses under its own weight.
I have the same experience. Seems to crash very quickly when it encounters any largish array or tuple. I'm trying to solve Project Euler issues using Swift and crashing constantly kind of takes the fun out of it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Tested it in Beta 2 - it seems to allow me to type a bit more of my example before crashing, but it crashes after the closing parenthesis in (a, b).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.