Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEASTMAN

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
So I recently upgraded my iMac's HD to 4TB (OS is running on SSD). I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the second drive (4TB).

Windows is not seeing the other partition on the secondary drive (4TB), it can however see my SSD as well as my backup drive.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this.

Bootcamp drivers were updated at time of install, windows updates have been run (all 200 of them), I have switch the partition to ignore ownership, have given 'everyone' read and write access, and just no luck.

Thoughts?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Unless something has changed, Windows doesn’t have the ability to even see Mac Partitions without extra software support.

Could be mistaken and that just refers to write support. Or my intel could be outdated.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unless something has changed, Windows doesn’t have the ability to even see Mac Partitions without extra software support.

Could be mistaken and that just refers to write support. Or my intel could be outdated.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but there may be some boot camp drivers because on my rMBP my windows 8.1 is able to access my OSX partition. In fact I was pulling a file from a HFS+ external drive no problem at all.

BEASTMAN

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Bootcamp drivers allow for reading but not writing to the drive.

Macdrive (3rd party software) allows for both.

Currently I cannot even read the drive

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Bootcamp drivers allow for reading but not writing to the drive.

Macdrive (3rd party software) allows for both.

Currently I cannot even read the drive

Windows won't be able to read anything on the 4TB disk because of how the disk gets partitioned to allow Boot Camp to boot Windows.
The detailed explanation is here: http://www.twocanoes.com/support/wi...-tb-or-larger)-drive-in-lion-(10.7)-and-later

Windows doesn't recognize the Mac partition as a single partition and, consequently, cannot read the data on it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Here are some programs for Windows to read/write/format HFS+ formatted drives.

1. MacDrive

2. HFSExplorer - this hasn't been updated for a while

3. HFS+ for Windows

None of these will work. It's not a matter of not reading the format, it's that the Mac "partition" on a 3TB or larger disk is a Core Storage volume and neither Windows nor these utilities recognize it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.