PDA

View Full Version : Apple plans Arabic iPod, OS X

MacBytes
Jan 18, 2006, 12:17 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple plans Arabic iPod, OS X (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060118131702)
Description:: Dubai: An Arabic version of Apple's hugely popular iPod will hit the market soon, officials have revealed.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

odedia
Jan 18, 2006, 12:29 PM
WHAT ABOUT HEBREW?!?!?!?!

Oh well, at least it means better support for right-to-left languages.

nagromme
Jan 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
Strange. I would have thought they already had Arabic OS X and iPods. Shows you what I know.

JordanNZ
Jan 18, 2006, 03:01 PM

I'm sure it will come. Arabic is a start :)

Voidness
Jan 18, 2006, 03:03 PM

Well, if you compare the number of people who speak Arabic to the number of people who speak Hebrew, there is a huge difference!

Anyways, this seems to be an effort from Arab Business Machine, not from Apple. So if Apple's marketing company in Isreal asks Apple to make a Hebrew version, I guess Apple shouldn't have a problem.

thejadedmonkey
Jan 18, 2006, 03:47 PM
There is a hebrew version floating around online...I think it only works for the ipod up to 3rd generation (possibly 4th black and white). Only apple made the people who hacked the firmware take it down. I think you might be able to get it if you know hebrew...I'm not sure though.

and yeah...it's about time the iPod supported RtL languages. Hopefully they won't make me get a new iPod to see my hebrew now.

odedia
Jan 18, 2006, 04:34 PM
There's an open source version someone developed that needs to "hack" the iPod updater, and remain constantly in the background so that when iTunes finished updating the playlists, it goes up and fixes all of iTunes' fonts errors. Apple's israeli representative took that open source and started offering it under a new name in their web site (it's a reseller, not an actual Apple site.)

Now, what's sad to me is that 1 developer was able to do this so simply, which makes me wonder why they couldn't let someone at apple handle these things in a more user friendly way. and by the way, it's still not RTL, the text is left sided.

Ofcourse, for Mac Os X, the problem is more severe. I agree with what someone said in here that Arabic is more popular than Henrew so that's why they're porting it (only now, 30 years after Apple's existence!). Apple just posted their profits for this quater, and 40% came from international sales. Imagine how well it could have done if they had good support for all languages. I hate to admin it, but the fact is that Microsoft is much better than them in this department. They have Windows in every language on the planet, with full RTL support. They have an Israeli development center, just to support hebrew versions of their products. Apple? They're as good as non existant in our small, yet very high-tech country (and many international companies are based here as well). They have this one exclusive reseller with very poor customer service and extremely overrated prices (sometimes as much as twice the actual selling price in Europe), and Apple just allows this to continue.

So you've got this amazing operating system, really cool, very stable, very sexy. Now, what good is it if you can't simeply write a short Pages document in Hebrew? What good is it if you can't import a Word document in Hebrew? I can see why Microsoft won't support it (why should they? they have 99.9% of the business here, converting office for mac to Hebrew will hurt their business), but what's Apple's excuse? It really is not that big a deal. They've done harder things in their lifes.

Hope someone from Apple reads this plea and acts on it.

Oded S.