PDA

View Full Version : More powerbook woes...

AlBDamned
Jan 18, 2006, 12:23 PM
This is bad.

I got a replacement PB last monday, brand new. 20 minutes after picking it up, my bag gets knocked off my shoulder at Notting Hill tube. It's padded, but the PB lands on the least padded area - the very bottom.

I get home to find a dent (on the left side where it landed) and slightly chipped top case (where the keyboard is), but everything still worked.

On Friday though, the hardrive died. It won't boot and makes this weird rustling sound.

Applecare won't cover it because of the damage and I think the whole warranty may effectively be void now.

What the hell do I do?!?!

This is such bad luck it defies belief!

:confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

wasimyaqoob
Jan 18, 2006, 12:30 PM
ah man, so sorry to hear that :(

Apple should replace the hdd, but if its damaged as a result of you dropping it well thats another matter.

AlBDamned
Jan 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
ah man, so sorry to hear that :(

Apple should replace the hdd, but if its damaged as a result of you dropping it well thats another matter.

Yeah, I would be surprised if they did offer to replace it because they'd just point to the damage. My major fear is the warranty though. Does anyone know if this sort of thing happened, I got Apple to replace the hard drive (at my cost) and they verified the rest of the hardware was ok - would it remain in warranty?

I don't even know who to contact about this - Applecare directly or the store?

dorqiekat
Jan 18, 2006, 02:04 PM
anytime I've had a problem or question I just walk into the store and ask the Genius bar. You could try called the local apple store and see what they tell you. If they sound not to sure, just go in and talk to them in person. I mean, if the store is close, then what's the harm.

if anything, they'll tell you who to contact.

eva01
Jan 18, 2006, 02:14 PM
I think your warranty is gone *poof*

AlBDamned
Jan 18, 2006, 03:04 PM
anytime I've had a problem or question I just walk into the store and ask the Genius bar. You could try called the local apple store and see what they tell you. If they sound not to sure, just go in and talk to them in person. I mean, if the store is close, then what's the harm.

if anything, they'll tell you who to contact.

I will probaby have to go up to the store (again). Tried calling today and was on hold for ages. They're just going to look at me and go "what the ****** are you playing at?!"

I think your warranty is gone *poof*

Thanks Eva :rolleyes: ;)

AlBDamned
Jan 18, 2006, 03:25 PM
Ok, what's the go for booting a powerbook from an external firewire drive? I can't find anywhere that tells me how to do it.

Also, by holding down "T" on startup the firewire disc mode icon comes up on the grey screen. Does that mean the drive isn't completely fried? Too bad I don't have another Mac at home. Might take it to work tomorrow and try there.

eva01
Jan 18, 2006, 03:27 PM
Ok, what's the go for booting a powerbook from an external firewire drive? I can't find anywhere that tells me how to do it.

Also, by holding down "T" on startup the firewire disc mode icon comes up on the grey screen. Does that mean the drive isn't completely fried? Too bad I don't have another Mac at home. Might take it to work tomorrow and try there.

You can boot from External HD, i believe you have to install it on the external like a normal internal.

And the target disc mode is a Boot thing that will happen wether your HD is friend or not, it is a firmware feature.

AlBDamned
Jan 18, 2006, 03:30 PM
You can boot from External HD, i believe you have to install it on the external like a normal internal.

Believe it or not, I've installed tiger on my iPod. I just can't get it to boot from there as I'm not sure of the key combo.

And the target disc mode is a Boot thing that will happen whether your HD is friend or not, it is a firmware feature.

Damn.

iGav
Jan 18, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ouch fella, did you happen to buy it on a credit card? or is it covered by your insurance?

If yes to either, you should be laughing mate.

Sucks though... I've got my own rhumble in the jungle at the Apple Store tomorrow, so you have my sincerest sympathies.

AlBDamned
Jan 18, 2006, 03:42 PM
Ouch fella, did you happen to buy it on a credit card? or is it covered by your insurance?

If yes to either, you should be laughing mate.

Sucks though... I've got my own rhumble in the jungle at the Apple Store tomorrow, so you have my sincerest sympathies.

Nope to both sadly. I rang my insurance company and it's not covered for accidental damage outside the home. If it had been stolen, set on fire or something like that it would be fine but sadly, that's not the case.

Good luck tomorrow. Apple really did me a favour replacing it, just a shame the new machine lasted less than an hour (effectively!).

I might bite the bullet and just install a new HD and then fingers crossed that nothing major goes wrong with it in the next 3 years (as if...).

iGav
Jan 18, 2006, 03:53 PM
Nope to both sadly. I rang my insurance company and it's not covered for accidental damage outside the home. If it had been stolen, set on fire or something like that it would be fine but sadly, that's not the case.

You should've told them that you dropped it when you slipped on the stairs, I would've. :eek: ;)

Good luck tomorrow.

Cheers fella, I'm going to push for a replacement too... after 3 years, come the end of my warranty tomorrow, my repair tally will look something like this.

• 3 SuperDrives
• 3 screens
• 3 logic boards (PCBA, MLB)
• 2 bottomcases
• 3 secondary cooling fans

And there's not a scratch, or a dink or a dent... it's a minter. *sighs*

just a shame the new machine lasted less than an hour (effectively!).

That's seriously ******* luck mate... :(

XIII
Jan 18, 2006, 04:10 PM
Try taking it into the Apple store and just lying. :p Tell them when you got it home, it was like that, and they must have damaged it. More likely than not (if you get assertive), it will be easier for them to just replace. Ask for the manager if you don't get what you want. Worth a try, right? :)

AlBDamned
Jan 19, 2006, 03:08 AM
Try taking it into the Apple store and just lying. :p Tell them when you got it home, it was like that, and they must have damaged it. More likely than not (if you get assertive), it will be easier for them to just replace. Ask for the manager if you don't get what you want. Worth a try, right? :)

No can do. It was in tip top shape when I signed for it and we had a close look at it due to it being better specced than my original one (so we had to take the battery out to confirm HDD size, inclusive RAM...).

Also, it was a genuine accident so to try and short change them after they were good enough to replace it doesn't fit well with me.

I'm at a loss really.

Applespider
Jan 19, 2006, 03:23 AM
What rotten bad luck particularly after the goodwill of getting an entirely new one. I really have no idea what to suggest; you could take it in and see how much it would cost to have the HD replaced and make it work again.

If it's too much, you might be able to part it out - sell the screen/non-damaged casing etc and get more for it that way.

Piarco
Jan 19, 2006, 03:26 AM
Same thing happened to be with a Rev D 12" PB. Only it was at Angel for me - bag knocked off shoulder and despite a padded PB case, and a fairly padded bag, it unfortunately fell on the lip of a step.

I only noticed the dent a day later - on the hinge. Fairly significant too (it ran diagonally across the whole of hinge) and obvious when looking at it, but when the screen was open for use, you didn't know it was there, and when closed an looking at the lid you could make out a rise in the case where the lid meets the hinge.

Luckily though nothing bad had happened to the internals.... until my Airport began acting strange, and then failed. Took it to the Apple Store and they sorted it out - the fall had jarred the Airport aerial connection loose, and it had finally disconnected. Despite being told my Apple CS that the warranty was void due to the damage (and the cost to replace the case was around £250 up) the folks at the Apple Store were good enough to help out.

Hopefully they will for you too.....but I feel for ya. Damn shame it happened.

dorqiekat
Jan 19, 2006, 03:51 AM
you could try repairing the HD yourself and ride out the extended warranty. And if a time comes where you need the applecare play dumb about the damage. Say you don't remember how that happened, but since everything was working (after you fix the HD), whatever the new damage is- it couldn't have been the result of the first drop.

but that would still.. be lying. And if that is not your cup of tea... you could always pray.

AlBDamned
Jan 19, 2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks guys.

Applespider> The parts thing is an interesting idea. Because it was specced with a 100GB HDD and a 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMM it't BTO value is £1599. However, that's some way above what I paid for my original machine so even if I made a grand back on this thing I'd be happier than I am now.

Dorkie> As far as I know, self-replacing the HDD, while probably beyond me, would also void the warranty completely.

The other option is to get Apple to repair it but that would likely cost a fair bit and I don't know if it would validate the warranty again.

Might investigate the parts possibility. Anyone know a company that buys busted Macs? :(

maverick808
Jan 19, 2006, 06:31 AM
Deleted

iGav
Jan 19, 2006, 08:13 AM
Dorkie> As far as I know, self-replacing the HDD, while probably beyond me, would also void the warranty completely.

I didn't think that it did... I thought that the HD on a PowerBook is a user servicable part.

The optical drive isn't though.

Might investigate the parts possibility. Anyone know a company that buys busted Macs? :(

You could try these (http://tcsmacs.com/), personally you shouldn't have a problem replacing the HD yourself, if you can live with the chip and dent of course.

maverick808
Jan 19, 2006, 08:24 AM
I didn't think that it did... I thought that the HD on a PowerBook is a user servicable part.

The optical drive isn't though.

No, the HD on PowerBooks is definitely NOT a user servicable part. The only user-servicable parts in the current iBooks and PowerBooks are the memory and AirPort.

discoforce
Jan 19, 2006, 10:32 AM
Let me add my condolences (and give my PB a protective pat on the case for luck), that really sucks. :(

Also, I don't know if you figured out how to boot from your ipod or not, but there's a useful article here (http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/03/homeipod/index.php). The key you want is "option."

Good luck!

maverick808
Jan 19, 2006, 10:38 AM
Also, I don't know if you figured out how to boot from your ipod or not

You should note that you can only boot from an iPod using a Firewire connection.

Seasought
Jan 19, 2006, 10:46 AM
Why not send it to Apple and if they call you on the damage say "What!? It's dented!?" blame it on the shipping if you want to try.

It's a lot of money to not try BS'ing your way into a repair without cost.

revisionA
Jan 19, 2006, 10:47 AM
Search google for powerbook repair.. you might be able to get your book hd replaced by a applecare authorized repair center and the rest of the machine may still be under warranty (say the display, if its not damaged for ex.)

Otherwise, you just gave me and the other pb mates on this site a severe chill.

$

AlBDamned
Jan 19, 2006, 12:00 PM
You could try these (http://tcsmacs.com/), personally you shouldn't have a problem replacing the HD yourself, if you can live with the chip and dent of course.

I don't know - I had a look at the PBFixit (www.pbfixit.com) guide and I was sweating just looking at it!

I'm going to give the iPod another go this evening when I get back.

As for sending it back to Apple and claiming it got busted in shipping - I've thought about this. At least if they have it there I have some more options.

revisionA> Not sue if the rest is still covered in warranty. presumably they could say any fault that arises from here on to the end of the warranty is due to that damage?

Again, my thoughts would be, if they replace the HDD, they could run a hardware check, verify the rest of it's ok and re-validate the warranty. But who knows if they'll do that?

AlBDamned
Jan 19, 2006, 01:10 PM
The iPod isn't doing it. I startup hoding down option, and it comes up with a blue screen, which has two icons, one is an arrow going clockwise, the other is an arrow pointing right. But, when I click on them, nothing happens.

Which one indicates the firewire drive?!

Also, the iPod switches on when Iboot the computer, at first says "do not disconnect" and then goes to the tick and "ok to disconnect."

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ic1
Jan 19, 2006, 01:46 PM
You have my full sympathy. I knocked my PB off a table onto a concrete floor at the age of about 2 months. Dented the lower case to the extent that the seal between the lower and upper halves of the shell was broken. Had the case replaced at Tekserve (Cert Apple reseller in NYC). Had no effect on the warranty. Nothing else was damaged.

Why not take it in and have it looked at. You'll pay for replacing the dented case, and the hard drive, if it's faulty, but the machine will be back in warranty.

What other diagnostics have you done regarding the hard drive by the way?

discoforce
Jan 19, 2006, 02:05 PM
The iPod isn't doing it. I startup hoding down option, and it comes up with a blue screen, which has two icons, one is an arrow going clockwise, the other is an arrow pointing right. But, when I click on them, nothing happens.

Which one indicates the firewire drive?!

Also, the iPod switches on when Iboot the computer, at first says "do not disconnect" and then goes to the tick and "ok to disconnect."

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Here's what the advice I've read says to boot with your ipod:

Open the Finder, connect the iPod, and install any other disk repair utilities that you have. To boot from the iPod when an emergency actually happens, plug in your iPod and hold down the Option key during a reboot. You see a list of connected, bootable devices. Click the iPod icon and click the right arrow to continue the boot process.

But that's not what you're seeing huh? Maybe uninstall/reinstall OSX on the iPod?

AlBDamned
Jan 19, 2006, 02:41 PM
You have my full sympathy. I knocked my PB off a table onto a concrete floor at the age of about 2 months. Dented the lower case to the extent that the seal between the lower and upper halves of the shell was broken. Had the case replaced at Tekserve (Cert Apple reseller in NYC). Had no effect on the warranty. Nothing else was damaged.

Why not take it in and have it looked at. You'll pay for replacing the dented case, and the hard drive, if it's faulty, but the machine will be back in warranty.

What other diagnostics have you done regarding the hard drive by the way?

The case isn't a major concern, it's a small dent. To be honest, the chip the dent caused in the dark grey plastic moulding round the keyboard Alu is more unsightly, but I can live with it.

If you're saying that you took yours in and the warranty was re-validated, that's something I really want to hear!

Here's what the advice I've read says to boot with your ipod:

Open the Finder, connect the iPod, and install any other disk repair utilities that you have. To boot from the iPod when an emergency actually happens, plug in your iPod and hold down the Option key during a reboot. You see a list of connected, bootable devices. Click the iPod icon and click the right arrow to continue the boot process.

But that's not what you're seeing huh? Maybe uninstall/reinstall OSX on the iPod?

The ipod is fine as far as I know. I installed OS X on it from my work eMac and when I plug it into that it's recognised and I can boot from it (pretty cool actually ;))

The thing is, if I can't get the powerbook to boot from this, then it may very well be something other than the HDD...

XIII
Jan 19, 2006, 05:20 PM
I think the PBFixit guide to taking your PB apart is pretty comprehensive. If it were me, I would try the sending to Apple thing.. and then (having pushed for blaming the dent on shipping) if it didn't work, have a go at replacing the HD.

AlBDamned
Jan 23, 2006, 01:45 PM
I just finally got round to speaking to AppleCare.

I went the honest route because basically, I don't feel they'd accept it happened in shipping and they we're good enough to replace it before. Call it Karma, call it being a sucker - I'm not sure yet.

So, my warranty is indeed completely stuffed. Void. Finished.

What should happen when you boot from an external, is the two icons I saw come up, and a list of available drives can be seen. I couldn't see the external, which means there's something else wrong as well as the hard drive.

My options are: get some quotes for a new HDD/fit one myself and hope it is just the HDD and the repair holds or, scrap it.

What a choice. This is simply bad luck. A new, replacement top of the range laptop, effectively trashed within 20 minutes of its life. So, I'm smiling because I'm sort of over the whole thing and what else are you to do on this - the most depressing day of the year "officially". (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4187183.stm)

In future, I'm going to buy a crap laptop for a few hundred pounds. If it breaks I won't care!

maverick808
Jan 23, 2006, 01:59 PM
I just finally got round to speaking to AppleCare.

I went the honest route because basically, I don't feel they'd accept it happened in shipping and they we're good enough to replace it before. Call it Karma, call it being a sucker - I'm not sure yet.

So, my warranty is indeed completely stuffed. Void. Finished.

What should happen when you boot from an external, is the two icons I saw come up, and a list of available drives can be seen. I couldn't see the external, which means there's something else wrong as well as the hard drive.

My options are: get some quotes for a new HDD/fit one myself and hope it is just the HDD and the repair holds or, scrap it.

What a choice. This is simply bad luck. A new, replacement top of the range laptop, effectively trashed within 20 minutes of its life. So, I'm smiling because I'm sort of over the whole thing and what else are you to do on this - the most depressing day of the year "officially". (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4187183.stm)

In future, I'm going to buy a crap laptop for a few hundred pounds. If it breaks I won't care!

Now now let's not get carried away here. Yes it sucks your HD died and that you are out of warranty... can't argue with that. However, a new laptop HD will cost you under £100. In the UK I recommend overclockers.co.uk. You can get 80GB laptop drives there for around £80. Then all you have to do is pay someone to put it in for you. Just find an Apple Reseller (NOT an Apple Store) in your local area and ask them how much it would cost. Go to at least a few so you get a good price. Replacing an HD should be well under £50.

So for £130 (max) you can get your machine working perfectly. You can then either keep it since it's still a great machine or sell it. If you sell it after fixing the drive you'll get loads for it.

Applespider
Jan 23, 2006, 02:13 PM

nope...in future, you're going to speak to your home contents insurance company and make sure you get your laptops covered for accidental loss or damage in and outside the home. Should add about £20 a year to your premium.

Good job on doing the right thing... sucks that it happened. I suspect that rather than calling I'd have thrown myself on the sympathy of a real life person at the Apple Store though; the manager there probably has a little more empowerment to fix things than the guy on the end of the phone.

Any point in getting an external drive (that you can use as a backup afterwards) and seeing if you can run from that (at least at home) in the short-term while you investigate whether there are any other issues and before you spend cash on an internal drive and fitting costs?

AlBDamned
Jan 23, 2006, 03:15 PM
nope...in future, you're going to speak to your home contents insurance company and make sure you get your laptops covered for accidental loss or damage in and outside the home. Should add about £20 a year to your premium.

Good job on doing the right thing... sucks that it happened. I suspect that rather than calling I'd have thrown myself on the sympathy of a real life person at the Apple Store though; the manager there probably has a little more empowerment to fix things than the guy on the end of the phone.

Any point in getting an external drive (that you can use as a backup afterwards) and seeing if you can run from that (at least at home) in the short-term while you investigate whether there are any other issues and before you spend cash on an internal drive and fitting costs?

The external drive option doesn't appear to be a goer as there's something else wrong with it other than just the HDD. I had thought about simply getting a proper 100GB external but it just doesn't boot with one plugged in. This is why it's more than just an HDD problem. I could get the drive fixed and it's likely it still won't work.

I'm being a little overdramatic I know. A replacement drive is the first thing to try so I've got some numbers for some quotes. I'm also going to call the 'dead Mac' centre to see what they make of it.

I couldn't be stuffed with going to the Apple store and going through the whole process again. I am 100% sick of the place.

Regarding insurance - if it had happened in the house, no problem. If it had been stolen outside - no problem etc etc. So, yes, next time if (I ever bother with something like this again) I'll ensure it's covered properly. :(

Also Maverick, it was a 100GB drive. They up-specced the whole system due to the previous trouble I'd had.

Anyway. Enough. There's no point crying over a spilt Mac (at least not anymore today anyway).

maverick808
Jan 23, 2006, 03:27 PM
Also Maverick, it was a 100GB drive. They up-specced the whole system due to the previous trouble I'd had.

You don't have to replace it with the same size drive. Overclockers do 100GB drives too for a little more anymore so it's not a problem.

It still might just be the internal drive that's gone. Failure to boot off an iPod isn't concrete evidence. If possible I would recommend attempting to boot off a proper Firewire external hard-disk.

I have successfully boot Tiger off an iPod Mini in the past but it's just not a reliable test. Even when I had it working it would still fail to boot 50% off the time. Try a proper external drive before you assume there's more at fault than just the internal drive.

AlBDamned
Jan 23, 2006, 04:11 PM
You don't have to replace it with the same size drive. Overclockers do 100GB drives too for a little more anymore so it's not a problem.

It still might just be the internal drive that's gone. Failure to boot off an iPod isn't concrete evidence. If possible I would recommend attempting to boot off a proper Firewire external hard-disk.

I have successfully boot Tiger off an iPod Mini in the past but it's just not a reliable test. Even when I had it working it would still fail to boot 50% off the time. Try a proper external drive before you assume there's more at fault than just the internal drive.

Been looking at this Toshiba 100GB drive (http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~100351~/product.htm?affiliate=2020). It's got a 16MB cache and is a good price too.

The iPod drive isn't a perfect test I know, but it works perfectly on my work Mac so in theory it should work ok with the PB.

What happened when it "failed to boot" for you?

maverick808
Jan 23, 2006, 04:22 PM
What happened when it "failed to boot" for you?

Several different things happened. All of these on the same installation without formatting the iPod between. It was exactly the same data on the iPod each time...

* PowerBook just failed to detect iPod and show it as an option
* PowerBook started to boot from iPod but failed during white screen that shows the Apple screen
* PowerBook successfully booted into Tiger. Everything was really slow but it worked fine

It just appeared to be totally random which of these three it would do. One time it would fail to boot and I restart and it would boot fine. Other times I'd hit restart and it would just not detect the iPod.

By the way in case you think I'm nuts doing this the reason I was booting off the iPod was because I was trying the first ADC Tiger betas way back at the start of 2005 and knew they weren't stable. I didn't want to install on my main drive so I used the iPod.

gauchogolfer
Jan 25, 2006, 10:47 AM

So, if it was stolen....or set on fire......

I'm not condoning any form of insurance fraud here. Carelessness with one's belongings in a high-crime area should not be considered.

AlBDamned
Jan 25, 2006, 11:57 AM
So, if it was stolen....or set on fire......

I'm not condoning any form of insurance fraud here. Carelessness with one's belongings in a high-crime area should not be considered.

There's no inference of fraud. All I'm saying is that the PB would have been covered against fire or theft, outside of my home. It's not covered for accidental damage outside the home.

Believe me - I'd rather a broken powerbook than get mugged for it.

gauchogolfer
Jan 25, 2006, 04:09 PM
Sorry my sarcasm didn't come across right...I was just suggesting your Pbook might have gotten 'lost'. Not that I recommend that, of course ;)

AlBDamned
Jan 25, 2006, 05:04 PM
Sorry my sarcasm didn't come across right...I was just suggesting your Pbook might have gotten 'lost'. Not that I recommend that, of course ;)

Gotcha.

Then, however, you've gotta go through the police, get a crime number, tell plenty of lies. Not worth it.

Several different things happened. All of these on the same installation without formatting the iPod between. It was exactly the same data on the iPod each time...

* PowerBook just failed to detect iPod and show it as an option
* PowerBook started to boot from iPod but failed during white screen that shows the Apple screen
* PowerBook successfully booted into Tiger. Everything was really slow but it worked fine

It just appeared to be totally random which of these three it would do. One time it would fail to boot and I restart and it would boot fine. Other times I'd hit restart and it would just not detect the iPod.

By the way in case you think I'm nuts doing this the reason I was booting off the iPod was because I was trying the first ADC Tiger betas way back at the start of 2005 and knew they weren't stable. I didn't want to install on my main drive so I used the iPod.

Not crazy at all, but at least you got somewhere with your iPod! I'm thinking because the PB may have such serious issues, it's basically sticking two fingers at the iPod.

I'm trying Target disk mode and a proper external drive, at work tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

penguinman
Jan 25, 2006, 05:16 PM
You should've told them that you dropped it when you slipped on the stairs, I would've. :eek: ;)

Cheers fella, I'm going to push for a replacement too... after 3 years, come the end of my warranty tomorrow, my repair tally will look something like this.

• 3 SuperDrives
• 3 screens
• 3 logic boards (PCBA, MLB)
• 2 bottomcases
• 3 secondary cooling fans

And there's not a scratch, or a dink or a dent... it's a minter. *sighs*

That's seriously ******* luck mate... :(

Applecare covered those? how could two bottom cases "go bad" and it not be customter abuse? :confused:

AlBDamned
Jan 25, 2006, 05:16 PM
Applecare covered those? how could two bottom cases "go bad" and it not be customter abuse? :confused:

Warping maybe?

AlBDamned
Jan 26, 2006, 08:28 AM
Target disk mode didn't work.

AlBDamned
Jan 26, 2006, 01:05 PM
Guys,

Here's a question.

Is it it vital to have the same OS version on the external firewire drive, as it is on the powerbook?

Also, would it be better to format the Firewire drive with a full OS X or the Powerbook restore discs version of the OS?

AlBDamned
Jan 27, 2006, 07:35 AM
Ok, my apologies for multiple posts.

A genuine external drive, with 10.4.4 on it does not work either.

Does anyone have any tips on further diagnostic tests I can do or is it time to bite and take it in somewhere.

There's no point in buying a new internal HDD if it appears that's not going to work. There must be something wrong deep inside this machine... :(

maverick808
Jan 27, 2006, 07:49 AM
Ok, my apologies for multiple posts.

A genuine external drive, with 10.4.4 on it does not work either.

Does anyone have any tips on further diagnostic tests I can do or is it time to bite and take it in somewhere.

There's no point in buying a new internal HDD if it appears that's not going to work. There must be something wrong deep inside this machine... :(

Yes, it does seem like very bad news. You may be looking at a motherboard replacement which is nearly as expensive as the laptop itself.

Can we just verify the steps you went through in testing the external drive. I assume they would be...

1) Insert OS X install CD and boot off it by holding down C while booting.
2) Once the install GUI appears select Disk Utility from the tools menu
3) The external drive should visible in Disk Utility. If it is then format at and install OS X on it.

Is this what you tried? If not what did you try and what happened?

AlBDamned
Jan 27, 2006, 08:57 AM
Yes, it does seem like very bad news. You may be looking at a motherboard replacement which is nearly as expensive as the laptop itself.

Can we just verify the steps you went through in testing the external drive. I assume they would be...

1) Insert OS X install CD and boot off it by holding down C while booting.
2) Once the install GUI appears select Disk Utility from the tools menu
3) The external drive should visible in Disk Utility. If it is then format at and install OS X on it.

Is this what you tried? If not what did you try and what happened?

Nope.

I formatted an external drive using my Mac at work.

I tried booting directly off that but it doesn't even come up.

So, I tried booting off the actual 10.4.1 disc that I have and it gets to the screen with the Apple on it and the icon whirring round. Then after a few minutes of the DVD going round, the apple turns to a faded circle with a diagonal line through it (aka a warning) and the icon just keeps whirring round.

I can't believe a small knock could kill this thing so badly...

maverick808
Jan 27, 2006, 10:10 AM
If it won't boot off the internal hd, external hd or even the CD drive then yeah I think we can assume the bus or something else on the motherboard is busted.

Hate to say it but I think we just have to accept you have been really unlucky here. If I were you I would just claim it on my insurance saying I dropped it in the house or that it was stolen. It is a little dishonest but you are paying the insurance company money each year for this type of thing and I'm sure them paying out a couple of grand won't hurt them much at all.

There's a chance if you took it to a shop they'd find an obvious fault and be able to fix it but I suspect it might end up costing a lot to diagnose it and if it does turn out you need a whole new motherboard then you are looking at a very expensive bill.

AlBDamned
Jan 27, 2006, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately I've already explained to them what had happened thinking I was covered but it appears I'm not (for accidental damage outside the house).

I have just spoken to the guy at TCS about it and he reckons he could either fix it or give me a good price for the parts, but obviously once he sees it and opens it up to diagnose it, then he's going to hold all the cards in relation to prices...

Very unlucky really. It needs properly diagnosing before I come to any final conclusions about what to do with it.

At the moment I'm probably looking at minimum £150-800 spend or around a £700 loss on the unit as a whole (I could get about £600 for screen, case, RAM etc.) and I only paid £1250 for my original 1.67 PB.

Course - then I'd have to buy something else. Maybe a Dell smartstep for £250!

maverick808
Jan 27, 2006, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately I've already explained to them what had happened thinking I was covered but it appears I'm not (for accidental damage outside the house).

I have just spoken to the guy at TCS about it and he reckons he could either fix it or give me a good price for the parts, but obviously once he sees it and opens it up to diagnose it, then he's going to hold all the cards in relation to prices...

Very unlucky really. It needs properly diagnosing before I come to any final conclusions about what to do with it.

At the moment I'm probably looking at minimum £150-800 spend or around a £700 loss on the unit as a whole (I could get about £600 for screen, case, RAM etc.) and I only paid £1250 for my original 1.67 PB.

Course - then I'd have to buy something else. Maybe a Dell smartstep for £250!

Yeah, I feel really sorry for you. Let us know what you decide to do and what happens if it gets diagnosed.

iGav
Jan 27, 2006, 12:59 PM

The alignment of the clip on the base cover was incorrect, so it didn't catch properly on the main body. Both times. ;)

They should've designed it with a torx screw at each corner, which would've been a far better solution.

But no customer abuse on my part, it still looks box fresh. ;)

Apple's quality is just dropping like a shafted elevator. :( :rolleyes:

AlBDamned, change insurance companies. ;)

iGav
Jan 27, 2006, 01:04 PM

Does that include commuting to a place of work and at work itself??

I get hit a lot more than that for my coverage because I use mine for work, and conventional home and contents won't cover it, should I happen to be commuting to/from or indeed use it in a place of work.

AlBDamned
Jan 27, 2006, 02:27 PM
AlBDamned, change insurance companies. ;)

Thanks Gav, I'll bear that in mind! ;)

How'd you go with your "rumble"?

AlBDamned
Jan 27, 2006, 02:38 PM
Does that include commuting to a place of work and at work itself??

I get hit a lot more than that for my coverage because I use mine for work, and conventional home and contents won't cover it, should I happen to be commuting to/from or indeed use it in a place of work.

One of the first questions I was asked was, "Is it a work computer..."

I guess you have to have extra cover or "corporate" cover if you use your computer for work frequently.

Applespider
Jan 27, 2006, 02:51 PM
I guess you have to have extra cover or "corporate" cover if you use your computer for work frequently.

I believe it's even stricter than that. If you tell them that you do any work on it, you could void your insurance.

iGav
Jan 30, 2006, 08:03 AM
How'd you go with your "rumble"?

Not too bad... not too bad at all mate. I ended up calling Apple on the 19th (the last day of my AppleCare) and explaining my new problems, and then reminding them that the same parts have consistantly failed over the 3 years of my ownership, and that basically I was concerned how now that I was at the end of my warranty and how I was still encountering the same problems and that IMHO obviously there is either an inherent fault with my machine, or other underlying factors with the Titanium range of PowerBooks and how I'd like for Apple to conside offering a replacement machine as a final resolution to my problems.

They agreed, expressed surprise that I wasn't offered a replacement earlier and are now going to replace it with a new 15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz. :)

Shame it's not a MacBook Pro, but I'm not going to argue when they could quite easily have just repaired the Titanium... though that said the MacBook Pro is going to be pretty useless for me until Apple and some other companies change their pro app to universal binaries.... so in that respect. ;) Though I'll be buying a 17" MacBook Pro as soon as all the major app's I use are converted to universal binaries, which hopefully will tie in with a Rev B release date. We'll see though.

Either way, I'm chuffed that I've gotten 3 years out of a 1GHz Titanium and that I'll be receiving a replacement/upgrade machine shortly. :)

How goes your problems anyway? decided on a solution yet?

AlBDamned
Jan 31, 2006, 05:53 AM
They agreed, expressed surprise that I wasn't offered a replacement earlier and are now going to replace it with a new 15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz. :)

That’s a great result. The last 1.67 G4 is a beautiful machine, I don’t give a screw what its critics say (just wish I’d had my new one for longer than 5 minutes… ;) )

Shame it's not a MacBook Pro, though that said the MacBook Pro is going to be pretty useless for me until Apple and some other companies change their pro app to universal binaries

I agree on the MacBook Pro too. While the gadget freak in me just damn wants one, it’s pretty much useless for me until the big apps from the likes of Quark and Adobe are universal. I think running Quark 6.5 on Intel and under Rosetta (cool technology as it is) would be akin to getting having all your teeth pulled out with anaesthetic.

Plus there’s the small issue of the machine being a fair amount of money!

How goes your problems anyway? decided on a solution yet?

I’m having the ‘book diagnosed this week. I’ve done everything I can possibly do myself so it’s time for a real expert to get under the keyboard.

Options I’m seriously considering include: Having it fixed if under £500.

Selling it for parts if over £500 and buying a Rev B 17” iMac G5. I don’t really need the portability as much these days and more processing power would be very useful for some of my current work.I also can't afford another laptop at this stage.

I’m no longer completely P***ed of with it either – just putting it down as a series of major lessons:

Get better insurance

Check your insurance before you call them. Double-check it. Then triple check it then quadruple che…

Ensure your laptop bag cannot be knocked of your shoulder when in busy areas – especially Notting Hill tube station.

Ensure said laptop bag has decent padding throughout because the bag will be knocked off/fall and land n the least padded place etc etc…

AlBDamned
Mar 7, 2006, 04:03 PM
Wow, has this been a saga. Below I'm happy to present pictures of my now working PowerBook!

In the end, it all boiled down to? THE HARD DRIVE.

As many people suggested and I thought possibily at first. Yet despite it not woking via several external drives and fears over a damaged logic board, we're now back in business. I've got an 80GB drive in here for the time being, but it only cost £30 including fitting in the end due to a very helpful tech 'friend of the family'. I doubt I'll be able to reinstate my warranty, but for the time being, this thing is working very nicely.

Thank god! :D

Applespider
Mar 7, 2006, 04:08 PM
Phew... I'm glad you've got something you can use again.

discoforce
Mar 7, 2006, 07:55 PM
Wow, has this been a saga. Below I'm happy to present pictures of my now working PowerBook!

What a great ending to your story, and I think the dent is sexy! :D

Congratulations!