Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I see an opportunity to acquire a Profile Hard Drive for a good price.

Is there any way to get it to work with my Apple II Plus, considering I acquire the appropriate interface card? Or is it only compatible with the IIe?

Last edited:

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
It's not the hardware, it's that it's a ProDOS device, so you could use the older versions of ProDOS with a 64K II Plus.

If you want to use DOS 3.3, there is a utility called ProFix .. though I don't recall exactly if that is a software change on the drive or a DOS 3.3 environment with ProDOS overhead.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
It's not the hardware, it's that it's a ProDOS device, so you could use the older versions of ProDOS with a 64K II Plus.

If you want to use DOS 3.3, there is a utility called ProFix .. though I don't recall exactly if that is a software change on the drive or a DOS 3.3 environment with ProDOS overhead.

Really? Well my Apple II Plus has 64K ram current with the Apple Language card installed.

So, using the correct interface card, and running the most recent version of ProDOS the Apple II Plus will take, it will work?

That's amazing. I couldn't find absolutely any account of a II or II Plus working with the ProFile.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Really? Well my Apple II Plus has 64K ram current with the Apple Language card installed.

So, using the correct interface card, and running the most recent version of ProDOS the Apple II Plus will take, it will work?
Yes, certainly. All you need is the interface card. You must also pay attention to the fact that there are two sizes of ProFile (5 & 10 MB) and two different adapter card ROM revisions to match:

341-0271-A: 5MB
341-0299-B: 10MB

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Yes, certainly. All you need is the interface card. You must also pay attention to the fact that there are two sizes of ProFile (5 & 10 MB) and two different adapter card ROM revisions to match:

341-0271-A: 5MB
341-0299-B: 10MB

Thanks great news! If I did get one, it would match my Apple II Plus, and Monitor III with accompanying stand quite beautifully. I've never seen a picture of such a combination as a matter of fact, over all of the interwebs.

Ahh yes I did enough research to become aware of the two different interface cards! :)

Now, I know quite a lot about Macs and own quite a few (ranging 1986-2011), however my lack of Apple II knowledge is surely staggering, despite my ownership of one of such computers.

Basically, with this drive, could I store and access entire disk images or application files (i.e. games), and run them from the drive as such? Or is it purely for files?

Probably a dumb question, but I have much to learn in this regard.

(I just bought a HD20 for my 512K and I know I can run apps off that of course. I am ignorantly assuming an Apple II running a line command OS will treat a HDD in the same fashion as a 512K, only with far more extra steps in performing similar tasks of course! GUI's spoil all the fun :p )

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Basically, with this drive, could I store and access entire disk images or application files (i.e. games), and run them from the drive as such? Or is it purely for files?
You are essentially in the same position as a CFFA user is. That is to say that DOS doesn't know about large storage media, but there are tools out there (notably DOS.MASTER) that let you host several DOS images within a ProDOS volume. ProDOS, of course, is able to see the whole thing - but there's a lot of things to know about the software you expect to run from the ProFile. So the short answer to your question is that it's just for files... but there are ways to shoehorn some earlier types of software onto it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.