Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trynix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Hello everyone.

Earlier today I finished installing windows 8.1 through bootcamp - all nice and well.

Once I finished installing the bootcamp drivers, I wanted to restart back to OS X to no avail!

Every time I restart into OS X, the apple logo shows up, then the grey update bar appears below the logo. It takes 5 seconds for the first 5% of the bar to darken, then the bar disappears.

A few seconds later, my iMac shuts down.

I am posting this message through the windows 8.1 partition, and as far as I can tell I have access to all my OS X files and folders.

Any idea what caused this and how it can be rectified?

PS: I've tried the PRAM/NVRAM reset, but that didn't do much.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Every time I restart into OS X, the apple logo shows up, then the grey update bar appears below the logo. It takes 5 seconds for the first 5% of the bar to darken, then the bar disappears.

This is indicating that there's disk corruption that the OS is trying to repair but can't. Start up into the Recovery Partition (hold down command-R as you start the computer) and select Disk Utility. Select your disk on the left side of the window and Select First Aid and "Repair disk" (not repair disk permissions) on the right side of the window.

trynix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
This is indicating that there's disk corruption that the OS is trying to repair but can't. Start up into the Recovery Partition (hold down command-R as you start the computer) and select Disk Utility. Select your disk on the left side of the window and Select First Aid and "Repair disk" (not repair disk permissions) on the right side of the window.

I just tried that and received the following:
- If I select the drive, I receive the message "live file system repair is not supported"
- If I select the OS X partition, I receive a message that states I must backup my data and re-install Maverick

So I guess I just need to download Maverick, burn it to a CD and install it ontop of my current partition? (I tried re-installing through recovery but it stated that the OS X partition is locked).

EDIT: Where/how can I obtain a Mavericks bootable ISO from..

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So I guess I just need to download Maverick, burn it to a CD and install it ontop of my current partition? (I tried re-installing through recovery but it stated that the OS X partition is locked).

EDIT: Where/how can I obtain a Mavericks bootable ISO from..

You'd need to reformat that partition. Installing over the top of what's there won't solve the corruption. If everything is backed up you could reformat from recovery and then reinstall via the internet. If your data is not entirely backed up I would get an external USB disk and install the OS on it, then start up from that disk and copy as much of your data off as you can.
Alternatively, DiskWarrior by Alsoft is an extremely powerful disk repair tool which may be able to repair your corrupt disk without having to reformat.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hello everyone.

Earlier today I finished installing windows 8.1 through bootcamp - all nice and well.

Once I finished installing the bootcamp drivers, I wanted to restart back to OS X to no avail!

A few seconds later, my iMac shuts down.

I am posting this message through the windows 8.1 partition, and as far as I can tell I have access to all my OS X files and folders.

Any idea what caused this and how it can be rectified?

PS: I've tried the PRAM/NVRAM reset, but that didn't do much.

Sounds like the Mac partition got corrupted when it was resized during the Boot Camp setup. I would suggest the Nuclear Option -
  • boot into Recovery
  • repartition the disk (wipe clean)
  • install OS X from Internet Recovery
  • update to Mavericks (clean install, no data yet)
  • Install Boot Camp / Windows
  • Last, migrate your data from Time Machine using Migration Assistant (not a "restore")

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
If you can still access the Mac partition through windows I would also back up any critical files before reinstalling OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.