Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I was looking for some backups recently for a disk that had unmounted front he desktop. When a disk does that I know that sometimes can be a signal of possible future failure, so I was keen to see that the backups for it were safe on the Time Machine disk.

But when I went into Time Machine, I didn't see the backups for that disk. Is that the way Time Machine works? If a disk is unmounted you don't see its backups? That can't be right?

signed,

Worried.

thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If that external disk was backed up, you would still be able to see the files in the Time Machine backup even if the disk was not connected. You have something wrong there.

Did it ever backup? By default, external disks are excluded from backup in Time Machine and to get them backed up you need to go into the options section of Time Machine and remove the external drive from the exclude list.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
That's what I thought. Thanks, I'll check when I get home tonight. It definitely did back up before, I've gotten stuff off of those disks. I do use the options in the Time Machine options section. Didn't remember that externals are initially excluded though. But I manage that list so I know they should be being backed up.

If that external disk was backed up, you would still be able to see the files in the Time Machine backup even if the disk was not connected. You have something wrong there.

Did it ever backup? By default, external disks are excluded from backup in Time Machine and to get them backed up you need to go into the options section of Time Machine and remove the external drive from the exclude list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.