PDA

View Full Version : Current iBook vs Previous Rev

Miguey
Jan 18, 2006, 07:56 PM
ok heres the dilema....

right now at compusa they have still have the two previous rev. iBook(1.2 ghz 256 mb ram 30 gb hd radeon 9200) models for only 699 usd on sale from 899usd only till saturday though.

or theres the other option of the current iBook for 999 usd, the 1.33 ghz etc...i do not know which to get, the things i mainly would do is mediocre gaming, jedi knight academy for highest gaming, chat, homework and traveling...so this is where you come in, which should i get that would fit my needs

aquajet
Jan 18, 2006, 08:02 PM
$699 for a previous revision 12" iBook? That sounds like a great deal to me. I would probably select that option rather than pay the $999 for the newest model, especially considering that updated Intel (MacBook something?) models should appear sometime during the second quarter 2006.

I suspect that the previous model should handle your games okay, although you'll probably have to turn down the settings a bit.

Here's some of the improvments:

Radeon 9550 v. 9200 -- probably the most significant
40gb drive v. 30gb
512mb RAM standard v. 256mb

You'll surely need to upgrade the 256mb RAM...max it out, if you've got the cash

dmw007
Jan 18, 2006, 08:53 PM
Between the two revision of the iBook G4 mentioned, I would go with the 1.33GHz 12" iBook G4 (faster cpu, faster gpu, faster ram [thats expandable to 1.5GB not 1.25GB as on the 1.2GHz iBook G4], and a slightly larger HDD).

That said, at this point in time, I would wait for a iBook/MacBook with an intel processor to debut. But regardless of what you choose, you will be getting a very nice laptop computer.

YS2003
Jan 18, 2006, 09:27 PM
I would go with the current iBook, if I were you. Added features and higher performance over the previoius model should compensate you for the discounted price the previous iBook is listed. It's possible you would get an itch to get a new model if you somehow ended up with the previous iBook.

sw1tcher
Jan 18, 2006, 09:31 PM
I say get the newest iBook with the 1.33GHz proc., and get it from Amazon.com

They're selling it for the $999 price you mentioned, but there's also a $100 rebate for it still and no tax.

dmw007
Jan 18, 2006, 09:44 PM
I say get the newest iBook with the 1.33GHz proc., and get it from Amazon.com

They're selling it for the $999 price you mentioned, but there's also a $100 rebate for it still and no tax.

Amazon is a good route to go, that or check to see if you can get a 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 from Apple's refurbished section of their website. Either way, you can save some cash.

JimmyDTU
Jan 18, 2006, 10:32 PM
I literally just pulled my "new" Refurbished iBook out of the box it was shipped in today, and I must say, it is in incredible condition...there is absolutely no sign that it was ever used by someone else. It's the latest Rev and I paid 799 plus tax on Apple's refurb shop (ended up being $846)...well worth every cent.

mopppish
Jan 18, 2006, 11:17 PM
The difference between those two machines is NOT worth $300. Hell, no.
I just bought a 12" 1.33ghz ibook last month when Amazon had it on sale for $799 ($899 - $100 rebate). A difference that small would be worth it, so shop around for refurbs. But I would not pay any more than that for the machine I just got if the revision before it was available for the price you've found.
For comparison, my roommate got a 12" 1.07ghz ibook on ebay the same time I got mine. He put an extra 512 of RAM in (768 total) and has Tiger on it. For the applications he and I use, the only differences I can see when using his instead of mine is that widgets don't do that water droplet thing, there's no scrolling trackpad, and the screen is maybe not quite as bright. Other than that, it seems just as perky. I could probably run garageband a bit more comfortably than I've seen his, but his is still totally usable.
Also, there's a 12" 1.5ghz refurbed powerbook on Apple's site for $1,099. If you want a bit more juice, I'd say go for that one. If not, then a $699 1.2ghz ibook can definitely tide you over until the second revision intel ibooks are out. Then THOSE would be worth a little more money. :D

newmaccanada
Jan 19, 2006, 12:00 AM
For trackpad scrolling on next to last revision ibook you can just install iscroll2 hack. It works just fine on my 14 inch ibook 133.