PDA

View Full Version : Google Eats Apple

MacBytes
Jan 18, 2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Google Eats Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060118211118)
Description:: Are there any two companies cooler than Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) and Apple Computer (Nasdaq: AAPL)?

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

capone2
Jan 18, 2006, 08:56 PM
they are the coolest tech companies EVER!! and will never loose that title !!

PERIOD.

PB 15" 1.67ghz 1GBram
iPod Nano white 4GB

California
Jan 18, 2006, 09:26 PM
Google isn't cool. It's invasive and sneaky. Apple is cool and hopefully always will be.

mduser63
Jan 18, 2006, 09:39 PM
Google isn't cool. It's invasive and sneaky. Apple is cool and hopefully always will be.

Thank you. Google is not cool to me. Their "cool" products like Google Earth and Picasa are just things they bought. Even Google Earth isn't particularly well done. It's not very user friendly, and the UI is non-standard and ugly (on both Windows and OS X). Apple on the other hand :D.

jhu
Jan 18, 2006, 09:49 PM

you mean like how itunes tracks what you play and sends the data back to corporate?

2nyRiggz
Jan 18, 2006, 09:52 PM
Google eats Apple huh......hope it was a good bite with a sweet aftertaste.

Bless

stoid
Jan 18, 2006, 09:58 PM
you mean like how itunes tracks what you play and sends the data back to corporate?

Would this be in regards to the iTunes mini Music Store, or is there something else? Because the mini store is easy to disable and is now off by default, so if that's all you got.... :rolleyes:

katie ta achoo
Jan 18, 2006, 10:00 PM
I think google is pretty cool.. they've revolutionized corporate culture..
and apple is just.. apple!

I'd gladly be CFO of either company.
(or both?? :D)

jhu
Jan 18, 2006, 10:04 PM
Would this be in regards to the iTunes mini Music Store, or is there something else? Because the mini store is easy to disable and is now off by default, so if that's all you got.... :rolleyes:

ok, how about downgrading the advertised specs of certain computers and then still selling them at the advertised price?

p0intblank
Jan 18, 2006, 10:11 PM
ok, how about downgrading the advertised specs of certain computers and then still selling them at the advertised price?

Care to elaborate...?

jhu
Jan 18, 2006, 10:31 PM
Care to elaborate...?
http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page=gallery&model=g4agp&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC

winmacguy
Jan 19, 2006, 12:35 AM
Bit of a cat fight going on here boys and girls.:eek: Very interesting points of view expressed in the article. I think both companies are poised at the cusp of something very big. Both companies have mindshare in their respect fields and different ways of attracting customers and users. At this stage I don't see them cancelling each other out, more working 'together' to pull customers from Microsoft and make the distribution and purchasing of music tracks and digital video on the web easier and seemingly invasive into our daily lives as well as being cheaper and broader in content.

SiliconAddict
Jan 19, 2006, 12:41 AM
they are the coolest tech companies EVER!! and will never loose that title !!

PERIOD.

Things change.

jhu
Jan 19, 2006, 01:00 AM
Things change.

indeed. ibm was the evil empire until they embraced linux. now they're the darlings of opensource.

winmacguy
Jan 19, 2006, 01:35 AM
indeed. ibm was the evil empire until they embraced linux. now they're the darlings of opensource.
They have embraced Firefox too.:)

nagromme
Jan 19, 2006, 03:29 AM
The data was never stored or tracked. It was sent, like a search, and Apple should not have done that without warning. But it was never stored or tracked.

thequicksilver
Jan 19, 2006, 05:50 AM
I don't really think either company is cool - corporate stuff rarely is. As for some of the moves, Apple's lawsuits last year weren't particularly cool - I'm not passing judgement on the ethics of pirating software, but suing some of the biggest fans the company has certainly did lose them a lot of kudos in my eyes. I find the lack of upgrade prices for OS X and iLife totally uncool, in fact it's beyond uncool, it's pathetic, and not a way to reward loyal customers who purchase every software update (it's certainly turned me off buying every update as I otherwise would have).

(If I were a developer, I might feel just a teensy bit peeved that my reward for supporting the Mac is yet another major transition to Intel chips, but as I'm not, I'll refrain from comment. :))

But both Apple and Google excel at projecting themselves in a good light. Both use minimal but elegant design, Apple have the coolest OS, computers and music players in the world, and Google has the fastest, most relevant, and most celebrated search engine. It's the image that counts, and they both have it in droves.

But in no way, shape, or form are either company cool.

paulwesley
Jan 19, 2006, 03:35 PM
This article raises a real issue (beyond the cat-fighting :rolleyes: ).

Namely, who gets to sell their music through apple's store, and why?

While anyone can post a podcast for free download, only record companies can SELL their wares on iTunes. (Double standard?) As the article points out, Google's track record indicates that they may be moving on the next digital music revolution: knocking down the wall between signed and unsigned artists and cutting the record companies (and their bloated revenues) out of the production loop. The final levelling of the playing field, which Google has done so well with their Ad program.

Why wouldn't Apple let anyone sell their music (as Fairplay-DRM files)?

Of course Apple's in a bind because any such move would piss off the record companies, who are already not happy with them and can always pull their catalogs from the store. Also they would have to become like a record company themselves (regarding copyrights and legality etc) and such a move only gets them into more hot water with the Beatles' Apple music company.

Because of these conflicts, we may need a Google, without the ties to the old guard music industry, to take this next step of direct marketing of music from artists to fans.

Cheers to Google for putting the pressure on in this direction.

(I do love Apple too, y'all... :D )

PM

Epicurus
Jan 19, 2006, 04:21 PM
If anything good can come from Google putting a little pressure on Apple, it would be if Apple started to run with their Open Source initiatives again. Building on UNIX and putting back a lot of code towards the OS is nice, but really putting some effort towards the smaller open apps would be nice.

Somewhere down the road either Apple or Google will probably buy OpenOffice/StarOffice out from under SUN. In fact, I'd think it very wise of Apple to consider buying SUN outright or at least forming a tighter integration. They are the defacto Kings of Big UNIX in this world, and yet you hardly ever see the two working hand in hand. Google has at least made a token effort. SUN has some pretty cool stuff in its vaults that either Google or Apple would be happy to exploit.

If Apple could get OS X Server onto the SUN workstations and blades, it might even be able to get a good foot-hold in the enterprise/server market.

atari1356
Jan 19, 2006, 04:30 PM
I don't know if Google is as cool as Apple... but their plan to offer free wireless internet access across the U.S. sounds nice.

jhu
Jan 19, 2006, 05:15 PM
If Apple could get OS X Server onto the SUN workstations and blades, it might even be able to get a good foot-hold in the enterprise/server market.

most admins would rather gouge their eyes out than replace solaris with os x on an enterprise server.

personally, i'd rather see solaris with the aqua interface on a mac.

XIII
Jan 19, 2006, 05:22 PM
I think google is pretty cool.. they've revolutionized corporate culture..
and apple is just.. apple!

I'd gladly be CFO of either company.
(or both?? :D)

Agrrreeeyyyyyd. :) Google rocks my socks for no particular reason, and Apple just rock. :D