Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
Hola, I downloaded a program the other day from CNET (OmniDiskSweeper) and although the program worked fine, I am now plagued with constant MySpace video ads while browsing on Chrome. I have searched and found only slight workarounds for PC's but nothing to cure this issue on a Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
CNet & Malware

See:
• http://www.tomsguide.com/us/CNET-CBS-Malware-Trojan-Nmap,news-13410.html
• http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/u****reads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30277#Post30277

I suspect you may need to completely remove your recent CNet downloads (including the "extras" CNet installed) and then reinstall the DL from the developer's site or MacUpdate.

Sadly, I don't know how to identify (and locate) the extra/malware files CNet installed. Perhaps someone else will chime in with proper counsel. With luck, the malware is tied to the app originally downloaded, but I just don't know.

FWIW, it may be easier to revert to a clean clone or Time Machine.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Why? Cnet is a major news/technology site.

In my experience, software downloads from there often contain crapware add ons and/or misleading link baits to crapware downloads

You can download from there, but you have to be careful about what you click and what you agree to install

I would skip them and go to the developers site or some other outlet myself

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hola, I downloaded a program the other day from CNET (OmniDiskSweeper) and although the program worked fine, I am now plagued with constant MySpace video ads while browsing on Chrome. I have searched and found only slight workarounds for PC's but nothing to cure this issue on a Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was curious exactly what junk this installer puts in a computer so I ran it on a virtual machine.

cnet.png

It appears that you can disable the adware but it's not an obvious option by any means.
It adds a bunch of Safari Extensions and changes the home page and then it downloads the original disk image from OmniGroup. So sleazy.
You can easily remove the extensions by opening Safari preferences and clicking on the Extensions tab.
The installer also changes your home page and search to Yahoo which you can reset under the general tab in Safari preferences.
Remove all of these:

cnet2.png

There is also a folder in your home folder/Library/Application Support called Spigot that should be removed.

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
Thank you all so much for your replies and help. I followed the advice and (knocks on wood) all seems to better at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.