Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Alright. This is bound to get complicated, so I'll do my best to keep it simple.

I have the following:
1. 60GB iPod photo (aka 4G)
2. Apple iPod Camera Connector
3. Original firewire power adapter
4. FW+USB cable (power over FW, data over USB)

I want to power the iPod via its firewire connection while transferring photos via the USB connection. I am missing one piece, though, and I'm on the verge of being forced to bust out the soldering iron and engineer me a solution.

I basically want to be able to bridge this connection:
data_gap.jpg

That's a standard(-ish) dock connector on one end and a standard USB connector on the other. Anyone know of an adapter that'll do the trick? If not, I'm probably going to buy a dock or something and gut it for the right adapter(s).

Thanks.

EDIT: Please excuse the thread title. I named it before I thought out my solution and revised the post several times w/out editing the title. Sorry 'bout that.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I don't think you'll be able to find a ready-made connector to bridge that connection. However, you can buy both the dock connector (female and male) and the USB connector to make such an adapter and do it yourself. Should be too much trouble.

Here's the pinout for the dock connector, and I believe these are the right connectors. I once found the exact part number for both male and female dock connectors, but I can't find it at the moment. The information is out there though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.