PDA

View Full Version : Spymac turns 4

MacBytes
Jan 18, 2006, 11:39 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac Websites
Link: Spymac turns 4 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060119003921)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

simX
Jan 18, 2006, 11:58 PM
MacBytes needs an "OK, this is lame" button like digg.com.

Lacero
Jan 19, 2006, 12:02 AM
I need to verify with my cell number, paypal of $1 or sign up on their membership service that'll give me 3GB? Which one should I go with?

mad jew
Jan 19, 2006, 12:07 AM
When in doubt, try all three.

Lacero
Jan 19, 2006, 12:11 AM
I went with cell phone verification and I'm supposed to be receiving an SMS message with the verification code but none coming. Nothing yet for the last 10 minutes. I am hardly surprised. Seems like nothing works on their site. I can't believe I fell for them again. Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

Halsey12
Jan 19, 2006, 12:28 AM
I briefly switched to Spymac web hosting last year and it was the worst experience of my web-life. They switched my domain register even though I never gave them or my register permission to, my site experienced a lot of down times randomly, their e-mail servers constantly rejected my password, and I could not send e-mails to any of my customers that had aol e-mail address, because Spymac's servers were on aol's black list for spamming.

GrannySmith_G5
Jan 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
I really am not into the whole "bash other related sites" thing but.......

Spymac is almost embarrassingly bad. They are so amateurish, yet try so hard to come off as a professional high profile site. Man that place is unbelievably campy and corny. Not to mention half the site doesn't even work. It's as if the creator of the site got so stoned one day, he actually convinced himself he could turn his kiddie hang out into a revenue source that would make him rich.

Mudbug
Jan 19, 2006, 12:59 AM
for some reason, the tone of this discussion doesn't suprise me. :)

I've not liked spymac for a long time, but in the early days of online mac rumoring, they pumped out a few all-time hits, like the iWalk, etc.

Moral of this story... just because it's old (in dog years), doesn't mean it's worth looking at.

winmacguy
Jan 19, 2006, 01:51 AM
Initally I thought Spymac related to security monitoring software...:rolleyes: Doh!

nagromme
Jan 19, 2006, 03:26 AM
SpyMac has created some really cool Web software that does some neat things, in original (as far as I can tell) ways. And if it runs on OS X servers (I don't know) then all the cooler! And they FINALLY toned back on having to have every image on the site be a picture of people smoking (that was weird). So I wish them well.

But their free services have never been reliable for me, so I'd never upgrade to their paid services.

I mainly use their free email. It does the job, but it's down for some part of nearly every day. A half hour here, a half hour there. You can't count on it, and it's been like that for years. Plus they were auto-blocking password reminders from other forum systems (an accident of bad spam filtering I guess) which left me locked out of some forums I used to participate in, like DescentBB.net :( (When their email is unavailable, at least messages are store and I get them later. But I never got those required forum confirmations.)

I hope they improve, though. They do seem to have a large Mac community going.

Bin_jammin
Jan 19, 2006, 03:26 AM
Well, I signed up for spymac before they sucked. Then google dropped their massive gmail bomb, and spymac decided to keep up. They have since turned into some of the worst service I've seen online ever. I can recall BBS's that were more reliable via modem in a lightening storm than spymac has been. The worst part isn't their service though, it's the attitude they take towards people that rightfully complain about it. To call them amateur would be an insult to everyone that's undertaken something new. Spymac is not made up of amateurs, it's made up of ignorant jerks. Email server going down? Why bother letting anyone know? At Macworld 04 they had one of the largest booths in the place, looked very expensive, but completely at random I can't access my email account.

I set up my free account there years ago to give hardware and software advice, but now it's not a mac community, it's like listening to all the conversations going on at once in a high school cafeteria. I almost switched to their hosting and pay service, literally the week they forced a borked upgrade on every user, and that made me change my mind. It's good to see I made the correct choice.

Bad Beaver
Jan 19, 2006, 04:32 AM
I've not liked spymac for a long time, but in the early days of online mac rumoring, they pumped out a few all-time hits, like the iWalk, etc.

So that were the "early days", eh? :rolleyes: ;)
Otherwise you're right, at least they used to have funny/interesting fake rumors for a while. One day I returned to find they somehow started to take themselves seriously with all the webservice stuff and whatnot while corny teens called each other gay in the comments section. I was still chuckling as I deleted my bookmark.

asthma
Jan 19, 2006, 05:21 AM
I and the rest of my class joined spymac in 03 19 2004. I wouldnt say that spymac moderators are bad, and ive never had a big problem with there service. its the community on their site they have really bad attitudes! most of them just hateful and sometimes ill get a threat! If you have a picture or song that you would like to have commented on, but you don't have any friends on their website your better of slapping yourself and saving yourself some embarrassment. all in all its not the site that sucks its the people on it who think their Mac geniuses, and claim to have a very artistic eye. i guess thats why I'm here on macrumors now.

narco
Jan 19, 2006, 05:27 AM
I've been a long-time Spymac user (over three years) but I mainly just use their Gallery section -- which really is awesome. I have to admit though, when i want to talk about straight-up Apple stuff, you can't beat MR.

Fishes,
narco.

fixyourthinking
Jan 19, 2006, 07:31 AM
I wouldnt say that spymac moderators are bad, and ive never had a big problem with there service. its the community on their site they have really bad attitudes! most of them just hateful and sometimes ill get a threat!

Actually, Spymac moderators troll the web looking for comment threads that bash the site ... they will make their way here soon.

Spymac has always been a joke ... and often a liar ... not just iWalk, but claiming to be an official online Mac User Group. You can't be so and publish rumors (which they still do on occasion).

One of their first column writers/contributors was Jack Campbell.

macrumors thread about Jack Campbell at Spymac (http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-11407.html)

svenr
Jan 19, 2006, 07:42 AM
... And if it runs on OS X servers (I don't know) then all the cooler! ...Of course they don't! Easy to check:
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.spymac.com

I've been a member there for several years and thought initially it was a pretty cool site with a lot of potential. I even signed up for their paid hosting.

How wrong I was! It was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. They boasted "Redundancy is built into Spymac's server cluster, allowing for fast, reliable services with virtually no down time" on their site, but they did not even keep the meager 99.5% uptime guarantee in their own TOS (which would still mean your site is down more than 7 mins every day). My site has been down frequently from a few minutes to several hours. Imagine you're hosting a business with them!

Worse, email turned out to be extremely unreliable too. They made a big splash trying to beat Google to the first 1GB email service, but what a farce this was! Because I was a paying member, I could access my account through IMAP, which means all mail is stored on the server. Until the day when they decided to loose irretrievably all mails I had filed in folders (obviously the most important ones) during one of their "upgrades". Finally, last Sep during their pompously announced but ultimately catastrophic introduction of "Spymac 4" they lost my email again, but this time simply ALL mail. Backup? What is that?

And don't even get me started about mail servers not working, the ugliest webmail interface on the planet and Spymac becoming a heaven for spammers. Yes, several times they've been blacklisted by Spamhaus.org and SpamCop.net for spam coming from their network, which means emails you sent from Spymac never made it through.

Because of their GB email stunt, the website drowned with people who hadn't even heard of Macs and the community went down the drain. How about this for example: "Mac mean apple computer?!" (http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=72815#post1040558) (see 3rd post)

And now, in the article linked here, they boast "the world's largest Macintosh community, Spymac is approaching 1,000,000 members ..." Riiiiight. Their member ID numbers may approach 1 mil, but that's counting all ppl who ever signed up with them, including hordes of Windows users who came for the free 1 GB email, and turned away in disgust when it didn't work. It also includes many longtime members like me, who bitterly disappointed left Spymac behind for better hangouts (like MR :) ). To imply they have a current Mac community of a million is just utterly deceptive.

Spymac turns 4? Shrug!

wtmcgee
Jan 19, 2006, 07:53 AM
deleted that site from my bookmarks a year or two ago.

thequicksilver
Jan 19, 2006, 08:08 AM
I've been a member there for several years and thought initially it was a pretty cool site with a lot of potential… <snip>

Boom. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for saving me 15 minutes or so posting almost exactly the same issues. :)

There was a time where Spymac was almost the only site I visited, but now it's a once a month thing at most.

Sunrunner
Jan 19, 2006, 08:13 AM
for some reason, the tone of this discussion doesn't suprise me. :)

Moral of this story... just because it's old (in dog years), doesn't mean it's worth looking at.

Its really dissappointing, because I used to think the site had a lot of potential... Goes to show you that good looks dont count for much...

backupdrummer
Jan 19, 2006, 08:23 AM
I remember visiting the site often and then finally registering with the tease of seeing the super secret iWalk video. It use to be a great site lots of people posting mockups of apple hardware and desktop snaps. I frequented the forums for advice on software and design and then would gab about the rumors that flew around. Then everything changed and they lost focus on what they were trying to do and the result is the crappy ad ridden mess of services and site they have now. I actually was laughing out load on a daily basis with the September roll out of the great Spymac 4! What is it 1/19/06 and they still haven't finished hte roll out. Gimme a break.

Stella
Jan 19, 2006, 09:18 AM
I get the impression from the forums that the SpyMac crowd is a load of teenagers...

.. no thanks!

LaMerVipere
Jan 19, 2006, 09:45 AM
I used to be a member of Spymac back in the day, before they decided to become the hideous sluggish strange mess they are now. It was actually the only Mac forum I was a member of.

But no more! Spymac is dead. It died long ago. There are still some decent members around but they're lost in a giant blob of hateful and immature dolts and people from foreign lands only there to ask questions about all the free services. I love how they flaunt the fact that they have 1,000,000 members but regret to inform you that 99% of them don't care about Macs and just want free e-mail.

MacRumors > Spymac

'Nuff said.

SilvorX
Jan 31, 2006, 02:49 PM
Looks like there's a huge revolt on Spymac right now, the administration makes silly promises all the time and ends up breaking them, right now people are fuming over the "Free 1GB email", they were told they would et "Free pop access with it for life" and now they're taking it away from non-paying members.. and you have to verify in order to even use THAT

Won't be surprised if the site ends up shutting down, they overhype their 'products' too much, heck Spymac 2 is heck alot better than Spymac now

scu
Jan 31, 2006, 06:13 PM
I used to read then when they were in the rumor business. They were correct one time about 3 years ago. Now they are just full of kids.

jer2eydevil88
Jan 31, 2006, 06:35 PM
Of course they don't! Easy to check:
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.spymac.com

Not many companies actually run OS X for hosting websites
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=macrumors.com

But yeah spymac is totally unreliable and the forum is filled with people who have nothing but hate to preach. Glad I found this site after dealing with them :-)

backupdrummer
Apr 7, 2006, 01:24 PM
i decided fro some reason to go back and browse Spymac. No luck there is some slick promo movie for Spymac 5. I am convinced that they spend most of thier time dreaming up promo movies and ideas and then slop something together (usually with a sloppy and poorly thought out UI) the night before the launch.

BTW the launch date for the new newSpymac is April 2006.:)