PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ethernet Port on iBook G3

jacobj
Jan 19, 2006, 05:16 AM
I have given my father my old G3 iBook and he has managed to break the ethernet port. I am guessing that the cost of fixing it is not worth it, so I am looking at getting a USD to Ethernet adapter. Both Belkin and Netgear make them, but they state that Windows is required.

Now usually that doesn't matter, but I want to know if OS X is likely to handle them even without drivers.

Anyone know or have an opinion.

RoadKill
Jan 19, 2006, 05:35 AM
I think you'd have more luck trying to buy an airport card from e-bay and an airport express.

I know they are getting to be expensive but if your dad is clumsy, you don''t want a broken usb port as well :-)

Mord
Jan 19, 2006, 06:50 AM
i fixed mine by making a small hook out of a wire and pulling the connectors out though my ibooks logic board always had this problem as when my logic board was replaced it came with a broken ethernet port and i never noticed untill 3 months latter, anyway, i rarely use my ethernet port anyway, get him and airport card.

jacobj
Jan 19, 2006, 07:42 AM
I have found the solution. I have spent hours surfing the net looking for a USB Wireless dingle, but had no luck.

I went into a local shop and found a D-Link DWL-122 buried at the back of a shelf. It claimed to be compatible with OSX 10.2 and above. So I took the risk and here I am on the iBook G3 with a wireless connection via a USB dongle.

This is a solution that I did not think possible.

Thanks for your help.