Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hank Meyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2014
I am experiencing the Radeongate issue with my 2011 15" MBP. I am battling with Apple right now but fear they may tell me to go to hell. If it comes down to it I am not going to buy another Apple, again. Ever. I will go back to PC. So what I want to know is how I can get my files back to my next PC.

I have been using Time Machine.If I plug my 3.0 TB backup Hard Drive into a new PC, will I be able to migrate the photos, documents, and other files seamlessly to a new PC?

A month ago I reasoned an alternate backup. I decided to create a separate folder on the backup drive and manually copy all the photos, documents, and downloads on the MBP's Finder and paste them into this folder. The thinking its that if Time Machine is Mac proprietary and won't play nicely with Windows/PC, that maybe the files themselves can be copied over.

I know that's basically what Time Machine does: copies new files, references changes to the system, etc. but I wanted to have a backup in case TM wouldn't work.

Any other comments, insights, or opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
I am experiencing the Radeongate issue with my 2011 15" MBP. I am battling with Apple right now but fear they may tell me to go to hell. If it comes down to it I am not going to buy another Apple, again. Ever. I will go back to PC. So what I want to know is how I can get my files back to my next PC.

I have been using Time Machine.If I plug my 3.0 TB backup Hard Drive into a new PC, will I be able to migrate the photos, documents, and other files seamlessly to a new PC?

A month ago I reasoned an alternate backup. I decided to create a separate folder on the backup drive and manually copy all the photos, documents, and downloads on the MBP's Finder and paste them into this folder. The thinking its that if Time Machine is Mac proprietary and won't play nicely with Windows/PC, that maybe the files themselves can be copied over.

I know that's basically what Time Machine does: copies new files, references changes to the system, etc. but I wanted to have a backup in case TM wouldn't work.

Any other comments, insights, or opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Blame Radeon.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Blame Radeon.

Aside from the fact there is no graphics company called Radeon, Apple sourced the parts.

To the OP-
You can purchase Paragon HFS+ For Windows to read the Time Machine backups from your new PC (as long as they are not encrypted with FileVault2). Of course this will work with the separate partition you created too. Good idea creating the separate partition as it will be easier to navigate and copy files from.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Aside from the fact there is no graphics company called Radeon, Apple sourced the parts.

To the OP-
You can purchase Paragon HFS+ For Windows to read the Time Machine backups from your new PC (as long as they are not encrypted with FileVault2). Of course this will work with the separate partition you created too. Good idea creating the separate partition as it will be easier to navigate and copy files from.

Yeah sorry i meant AMD.

Hank Meyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2014

To the OP-

My drive is encrypted. Should I un encrypt?

----------

Yeah sorry i meant AMD.

I suppose when you're a fan boy, everybody is responsible except the religious monolith.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
My drive is encrypted. Should I un encrypt?

----------

I suppose when you're a fan boy, everybody is responsible except the religious monolith.
Get over yourself. Seriously.

I understand you are upset but I haven't had any issues other than an HDD failure in my 2011 MBP and that failure was because I dropped it on concrete.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
As someone who left Apple over the Nvidia issue, experienced the terribleness that is trying to get Apple to ever consider so much as looking at it, but then returned to Apple, what I've learned is:

1. People who had non-Apple laptops with the same chip had exactly the same problem. My girlfriend at the time can confirm that HP are even more useless at getting it sorted - their solution was to keep sending her Windows discs for a hardware fault.
2. There's a good reason Macs are expensive. Quality comes at a price. Of course, Lenovo ThinkPads are great. Clevo laptops and others may also be of value to you depending on your requirements.
3. OS X is probably the only acceptable operating system.

I do still use a PC on a regular basis but my MacBook Pro has become my 'dedicated' work machine, and with good reason.

From my own experience, time machine drives won't work with Windows at all, (although there may well be an app for this) but so long as the drive is exFAT or FAT formatted you should be able to copy the files over with no issues.

If it's HFS+ formatted it can be done but requires additional software.

Hope this response has been useful.

Reactions: 0002378

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I for one will never buy another PC for my work machine.

That being said, I also run windows on my retina mbp, and will say that this is the best windows machine I have ever had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.