PDA

View Full Version : 3rd one in a week - kids dieing.

peter2002
Jan 12, 2003, 06:30 PM
Junior High Boy Dies During Sports Program

A 13-year-old boy collapsed and died inside a junior high school gymnasium Saturday, becoming the third student to die in a New York City school in a week, police said.

Randy Carlote was unconscious when police arrived at Ditmas Junior High School in Brooklyn around 11:30 a.m., said Detective Gary Cillo, a police spokesman. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Department of Education spokeswoman Margie Feinberg said Carlote was participating in an athletic program that was not sponsored by the city.

Carlote's mother, Blasina Jimenez, told Newsday in its Sunday editions that her son was jogging during tryouts for a Youth Service League baseball team when he collapsed.

"He grabbed his heart and that's when he died,'' Jimenez said. "He was a marvelous kid, just very caring.''

On Monday, Kimario Green, a 19-year-old junior at Harry S. Truman High School in the Bronx, died after collapsing in gym class. An autopsy was inconclusive.

The following day, Catherine Bodden, 16, collapsed and died inside a Staten Island high school for special needs students. She suffered from an enlarged heart, officials said.

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20030111%2F235756855.htm&sc=1110

mymemory
Jan 12, 2003, 06:59 PM
I'm glad I spend the entire day in front of my computer. Now I can show my mom what would happen to me if I work out:D

rainman::|:|
Jan 12, 2003, 07:30 PM
What makes you think they were fat? No article i've read said that. It's more than possible that it's a huge coincidence, kids have heart troubles all the time no matter what weight. Especially the special needs student, who was in no athletic program that i know of...

pnw

arn
Jan 12, 2003, 08:07 PM
yep... there is no indication that these kids were fat.

Kids dropping dead usually aren't from being overweight etc... as with adults. It's very unlkely that these kids had a traditional "heart attack".

arn

G4scott
Jan 12, 2003, 09:05 PM
These kids may not have been overweight, but they may not have been used to that much physical activity. The girl with the enlarged heart, though, seemed like a natural cause of death, rather than over-exhaustion... Which reminds me, I need to get out on my bike more...

arn
Jan 12, 2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
These kids may not have been overweight, but they may not have been used to that much physical activity.

Even sedentary people tend not to die from over exertion.

arn

peter2002
Jan 12, 2003, 10:38 PM
No, but the odds are very good they were overweight since the government reports over 30% of teenagers are obese. Obese people die easily of heart attacks, etc. You don't hear about young skinny people dieing in the winter from running, maybe in the summer, but not in the winter.

Pete

arn
Jan 12, 2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by peter2002
No, but the odds are very good they were overweight since the government reports over 30% of teenagers are obese. Obese people die easily of heart attacks, etc. You don't hear about young skinny people dieing in the winter from running, maybe in the summer, but not in the winter.

Actually... if 30% of teenagers are obese... then by random chance, these kids were probably not obese.

Yes... obese adults run into problems with heart disease and heart attacks... but 13 year old kids generally do not. I don't care how obese they are.

13 year old kid dropping dead with exercise is not going to be traditional heart attack. It's usually drugs, hereditary disorders or structural/electrical abnormalities.

arn

p.s. I am a physician. :)

Durandal7
Jan 12, 2003, 11:28 PM
Heart conditions are not limited to the obese. They aren't even limited to those who aren't active. These kids probably had some sort of genetic heart disease that killed them. Around here a cardiologist who was about 26 and was in perfect shape was out jogging and dropped dead of a heart attack. There were no warnings, he just dropped one day.

Kid Red
Jan 12, 2003, 11:30 PM
Yea, fat kids try out for baseball everyday :rolleyes:

Can't be heat related because it's the winter. Maybe these kids aren't getting a regu;ar dose of physical exercise? I remember not ever standing still when I was younger, so it's wierd for me to read this. Are these kids up north or randomly thru out the US? Maybe there school has a crappy recess program, but at different schools, there must be a trend somewhere.

Nipsy
Jan 13, 2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by peter2002
Junior High Boy Dies During Sports Program
On Monday, Kimario Green, a 19-year-old junior at Harry S. Truman High School in the Bronx, died after collapsing in gym class. An autopsy was inconclusive.
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20030111%2F235756855.htm&sc=1110

Nineteen year old junior huh. I was a junior when I was 19...in college.

rainman::|:|
Jan 13, 2003, 12:21 AM
i would agree with arn, probably some sort of congenital defect at work. I had a seizure two years ago, particularly bad, and i'm not epileptic (before or after). everyone naturally assumed it was drugs. i can assure you it was not :) i was looked down on by medical staff and EMT crew alike (well i'm told, i was unconscious for many hours)... my doc actually insisted that i was lying at one point... turned out i have an enlarged blood vessel in my brain that caused bloodflow problems. point is, it's not always the "obvious" cause, i think the teenage years are when a lot of congenital defects, particularly heart and brain, manifest themselves...

of course, i'm not a physician like some people here :rolleyes: hehe :D

pnw

topicolo
Jan 13, 2003, 12:43 AM
hey ARN, how do you actually have time to moderate this site AND attend med school anyway?

arn
Jan 13, 2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
hey ARN, how do you actually have time to moderate this site AND attend med school anyway?

I actually graduated med school. I'm about to finish my residency.

arn

cr2sh
Jan 14, 2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by arn
Kids dropping dead usually aren't from being overweight etc...

I like to think of fat kids as 'plopping' dead... they hit the ground with definate jello-like quality. :D

topicolo
Jan 14, 2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by arn

I actually graduated med school. I'm about to finish my residency.

arn

Isn't it even worse when you're doing your residency? Which specialization are you doing exactly?