Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Is it possible to do a restore if your PC and Mac cannot detect the ipod? My ipod is formatted for windows. I've had it for 1.5 years, it's a 4g 20gb version. Just last week it was screwing up on me. About 75% of the time when I hit Fast Forward it would take forever to load the next song, sometimes it would just skip to the next track that it could read. I noticed this happened when plugged into a car charger and a when used a few hours after unplugging from car charger. Well, now it seems to have crapped out on me. It's trying to boot up and will show the apple logo for awhile then start over again...every once in awhile you'll see the folder and the ! icon.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
To what extent do computers not see it? I find that sometimes when the Finder/Explorer and iTunes can't find an iPod, the iPod Software Updater tool still manages. :)

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
I've put the ipod in disk mode, updated itunes and downloaded the newest ipod software updater. It's set up for windows. When I plug it into my powerbook, Finder, Disk Utility, and iTunes does not notice it. Well, if I try to open itunes with my ipod connected, itunes won't open. When I plugged it into windows, same thing. Although the updater after about 15 min will give me the option to restore it. But the ipod information on there (serial num., name, etc) say "N/A" or something like that. When I hit restore nothing happens...oh when it finally does give me that restore option, the ipod no longer has the "do not disconnect" icon and message, it has the check icon.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is it getting really warm when plugged in? Is it making a slight clicking noise when you hold it up to your ear (and it's plugged in)? It sounds like a failed hard drive. :(

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
mad jew said:
Is it getting really warm when plugged in? Is it making a slight clicking noise when you hold it up to your ear (and it's plugged in)? It sounds like a failed hard drive. :(

It doesn't get really warm when plugged in, but it does make the clicking noise. I suspected a hard drive failure. But I thought maybe someone here might be able to help me out by trying some different things. When it's on now it just shows the apple logo like it's loading up then restarts again really quickly into the apple logo. And it just does this over and over again. I guess it's time to get a new one. Thanks for your help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Natalia81 said:
I guess it's time to get a new one.

Yeah, sorry but there's not much that can be done for a failing hard drive, especially if Disk Utility isn't recognising it.

If at any stage Disk Utility does recognise it, then you can get a few more weeks of life out of it by using the repair disk function however it takes quite a while and is ultimately dependent on Disk Utility realising the iPod is there.

R.I.P. your iPod. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.